Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55614 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 2 - Queen of the Stone Age
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2013, 03:33:19 am »

That's negligible amount of heat if we don't build anything iin the chambers. And it can have some open\close mechanism for controllable venting
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2013, 03:42:28 am »

Negligible is dependant upon their futuristic sensor sensitivity. And I expect the surface to fluctuate MUCH more than our dwelling. So best case scenario, over some times of day they appear as little dots to an overhead thermal image.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2013, 04:01:49 am »

I say we keep the hive at "slightly uncomfortable temperature" in the short term. Once we secured food source and survival at mid-long term assured, we can do cold chambers. Cut off from the main hive. I'm not too worried about thermal imagery if a single chamber is open to exterior by a vent and cut off from the rest of the hive by blast doors.
In the meantime, plant more flowers of life in a dedicated chamber. 20 of them. We need that food. And make yourself a Queen Flower too.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2013, 04:41:14 am »

We need to reserve "default" flowers. They will be easier to adapt to other conditions. So no more than 10 more should be planted

I'd rather make flower chamber warmer to improve our food regeneration, than keep slightly uncomfortable temperature
One of my reasons to make  cooler rooms, to concentrate heat on the flowers
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2013, 05:52:52 am »

We need to reserve "default" flowers. They will be easier to adapt to other conditions. So no more than 10 more should be planted
We have planted like 15 of them. We still have 25 left. We can plant 15 or even 20.

I'd rather make flower chamber warmer to improve our food regeneration, than keep slightly uncomfortable temperature
I tried to make a compromise with the people who wanted to adapt to cold.

One of my reasons to make  cooler rooms, to concentrate heat on the flowers
That can work. We'll need isolation though.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:04 am »

We need a good stock of flowers reproducing to feed our growing brood. I am a strong supporter of keeping some of our flowers dormant, but I wouldn't want to save more than a quarter...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2013, 10:04:05 am »

Plant 10 flowers for the masses and one for yourself. In addition, create a few miners and maybe some soldiers. We should also focus on cold resistance so we can say on the surface long enough to conduct exploration and raids.

If we don't have a flier of some kind, we should probably create a new subcaste with wings and cold resistance out of our soldiers and/or drones to serve as scouts.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2013, 10:10:51 am »

No to flying subcaste, no to surface based drones. Our route is to bring our population to thousands without humans suspecting anything

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2013, 10:28:43 am »

No to flying subcaste, no to surface based drones. Our route is to bring our population to thousands without humans suspecting anything

If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

- Sun Tzu

We do not know our enemy.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2013, 10:32:29 am »

Besides, we're out of royal jellie. Untill we get new (Queen flower), we can't do anything with it.

Anyway, the miners should start digging shafts to the nearest underground ice layer (1. Water, 2. Heatsink, if people want cold rooms)

I'd keep some of the flowers dormant, at least 10.

Also, let's set up the refinery and the biorecycler.

Question the usefullness/ functioning principles of an internal, combustion engine. Especially for spacecraft.

If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.

- Sun Tzu

We do not know our enemy.

“All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”

-Sun Tzu

As long as the enemy does not know we exist, it's very hard for him to attack us.  And there are far better ways to scout than sending a flying drone over.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2013, 10:58:49 am »

As long as the enemy does not know we exist, it's very hard for him to attack us.  And there are far better ways to scout than sending a flying drone over.
+1, also +1 to the bio-recycler and planting at least half of our remaining flowers, we need resources. We also need to take VERY careful care of the two hybrids, as those could well be the future of the species; I suggest providing them with artificial (broad spectrum) light for now. We will have our first flower harvest soon and that will take some of the pressure off.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:38 am »

Regardless of whether it flies or not, we do need some form of recon. Could we create a radar system with the materials we salvaged from the crashed ship?

Speaking of remaining unseen, we should probably try to get all our new minions to be a rust-red color to blend into the environment when we get the royal jelly to do so.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 11:08:12 am by Morrigi »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2013, 11:08:20 am »

Maybe. We're not going to do that though.

The humans have a sattelite network in orbit. Radar emmisions are highly noticeable. (Ok, not by the sattelites, but they're most likely sending a scout team over.) Hence, for that purpose we do know our enemy.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2013, 01:08:14 pm »

Maybe. We're not going to do that though.

The humans have a sattelite network in orbit. Radar emmisions are highly noticeable. (Ok, not by the sattelites, but they're most likely sending a scout team over.) Hence, for that purpose we do know our enemy.

We don't know where the nearest human settlement is. They could show up at any time without warning if we don't post sentries at the very least.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2013, 01:10:20 pm »

If we post sentries, we will be noticed. We got no camouflaged units, nor any coldadapted ones. And we haven't got the royal jelly to make them.

And does it matter if they come and go? They won't find anything, after all.

Edit: Them finding us is a very significant event. There are species out there that would scorch the planet just to get rid of us.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 50