Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55609 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 1 - Of Mars and Men
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 07:16:30 pm »

You decide that taking the extra time to go through the wreckage before the fire and environment degrade any further technology is Our best chance of surviving. The Pits are only a few hours away, which should leave plenty of time to establish a temporary Queen's Chamber to take refuge in.

You, the NavDrones, and half the T-Caste Drones set out to the Bridge, while the Nurse and the remaining T-Castes set out to explore Med/Sci.  Your initial foray into the Bridge reveals that the sensory/detection computers are shot to hell and back, although You are able to recover functional maps of the area, navigational computers, several Environmental Protection Suits, and an intact Diagnostic Computer. The Nurse and their assistants in Med/Sci are considerably more lucky than Yourself and the Bridge Crew, finding a fully functional Biorecycler, a well-cultured Bacteria Vat, the parts needed to repair the Nursery and Stasis Chamber, and additional Xenoflora Samples. Unfortunately, the additional Hydroponic Systems are destroyed beyond repair, as well as the carefully cultivated Flower samples.

All remaining Drones are sent to the Cargo Bay to suppress the fire and retrieve the valuable contents within. The fire destroyed a full third of the cargo, although the Elemental Supplies and a small collection of Soldier-Sized Energy Weapons and backup batteries are salvaged.

After the initial search, the search continues in Engineering and Propulsion, with the non-vital Drones going through the Hive. Engineering provides a large amount of Spare Universal Parts, a Miniature Refinery, and a Reinforced Automation Database. Propulsion provides several barrels of Refined Fuel and a single working Internal Combustion Engine. Lastly, the Hivequarters reveal a Wounded L2 Heavy Soldier (S-Caste) and various Corpses.

While this occurs, most Soldiers are assigned to carefully remove the armor plating in sections (with a total of 8 Armor Plates), while the two surviving Grubs are inserted into the Maintenance Tunnels with explicit orders to focus their consumption on rare or useful metals. By the time the entire salvage is completed, they have recovered some Titanium, Copper, Gold, and various Superalloys. The Hive is loaded up, and the scuttling charges are secured, covered from dust, and armed to detonate on a remote signal.

Within hours, the Last Colony has arrived in the Rimless Pits; You quickly dig into the smaller of the Pits and dig out an Oversized Queen's Chamber before Night falls.

Now what?

Spoiler: You Are: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Eggs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You Own: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Food Supplies (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Extremely Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)

[Dice rolls? Sort of. Visit www.random.org to see what I use.]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:06:29 pm by Ross Vernal »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 07:18:30 pm »

We should find some way to provide heat to prevent us from freezing to death, since I remember that being mentioned as a possible problem.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Fr0stByt3

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-Creator of Woven Worlds Productions!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 07:33:43 pm »

I agree. Let's ge situated, shall we?
Funding rebels because seriously, fuck those guys.
((They're basically the new Mongols.  I gotta say, I have a newfound respect for the Jamaican police force after playing this game.))

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 07:36:47 pm »

We should find some way to provide heat to prevent us from freezing to death, since I remember that being mentioned as a possible problem.
+1 Lets see if we can get the fusion reactor back online in the new hive, since that will solve the heating issue and provide us power for our other essentials. Then I would say our next highest priority would be getting the Nursery online so we can increase our hive size.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 08:01:54 pm »

How many Flowers do we have? Because those are kind of important for our health and food supply.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 08:07:01 pm »

How many Flowers do we have? Because those are kind of important for our health and food supply.

Good question. I knew I was missing something...

There are 40 Dormant Flowers.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 08:42:07 pm »

Instruct drones to construct a room especially for flowers, and a nursery
In the Flower Garden/Farm, bring soil from topside and implant it with fertilizer for extra nutrients from the plants(or maybe even one of our own dead drones)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:45:32 pm by javierpwn »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 09:53:59 pm »

Fusion reactor is hard to repair, I'd skip it for now

1) Navigation drones and half of tech drones try to setup heat producing system using refined fuel,  spacecraft engine and whatever spare parts they need
2) Nurse tries to heal the lvl2 soldier and feed it with corpses (save commander corpse, in fact try to preserve it)
3) Half of T drones and half of B drones insulate our nest with whatever suitable materials we have
4) Queen consumes royal jelly to turn itself into a capable digger and together with half of B-drones and soldiers starts to dig two more rooms : Larvae area and farming area
5) Pollinators setup farming lot with 10 flowers and some of our fertilizer. Want to save majority of flowers for more optimized farm than dug out pit
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:00:00 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 2 - Life on Mars
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 10:10:24 pm »

The immediate priority is to ensure that We don't freeze to death in a few days, followed by making sure we don't starve to death in a week. As such, all soldiers are assigned to expand the hive - a Flower Garden and a deeper, properly-sized Queen's Chamber for egglaying, larvae-rearing, and, of course, genetic engineering. The remaining Drones are ordered to insulate the Entry Chamber/Nest, while the Nurse feeds/heals the L2 Heavy Soldier a mixture of healing slurry and a Biorecycled Dead Soldier.

In the meantime, You, a NavDrones, and half T-Caste Drones begin the process of repairing the Fusion Reactor. The Reinforced Database is connected to the Diagnostic Computer. The resulting CAD System is then attached to the Fusion Reactor, and after a short period of analysis, the screen pulses the steps to repair the generator. As You had hoped, it is a matter of replacing/repairing parts, with assorted adaptation of Universal Parts to replace the systems damaged beyond repair. By the time this is completed, the Flower Garden is dug out. The Nurse pauses in treatment to apply a healthy dose of fertilizer and water to the dirt, which is intermixed with topsoil. In addition, the Pollinators and B-Caste Drones plant 10 of the 40 Flowers.

The Reactor is fully repaired and online by morning.

You begin to note that You are getting Hungry, as is the rest of the Hive. Further, You notice that Your supply of Royal Jelly remains unused, and begin to contemplate its use to adapt to this planet.

Now what?

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Extremely Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »

*sighs* missed my chance at a full salvage, the best way to avoid detection is to leave no evidence...

Use heavy armour plates to insulate the entrance, keep them at least a couple of metres below the surface to reduce detection chance. For now the entrance should appear natural...

What are our reproductive specifications?

Fix the reactor.

2) Nurse tries to heal the lvl2 soldier and feed it with corpses (save commander corpse, in fact try to preserve it)
3) Half of T drones and half of B drones insulate our nest with whatever suitable materials we have
5) Pollinators setup farming lot with 10 flowers and some of our fertilizer. Want to save majority of flowers for more optimized farm than dug out pit

Adaptation should prioritise cold-resistance, efficiency, and stealth, in that order...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 10:18:48 pm »

Heh, reactor was way easier than I expected:)

Still...

1) Queen should consume royal jelly to make itself a capable digger, we are of body let's use that. Staying underground will let us stay unnoticed for quite a long time
2) Navigation drones and T-drones, work on heating system for the newly planted flowers
3) Soldiers try to stay dormant to save energy
4) Pollinators tend for flower
5) Some of the drones seal the entrance, we simply don't need to get outside with a working fusion reactor and the recycler
6) All others dig deep exploratory tunnels, looking for the useful stuff. Water, anything flammable, insulation rocks, anything that can work as fertilizer for flowers, metals
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:20:33 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »

What are our reproductive specifications?

See "Kai Castes" under this post.

As it stands, no eggs are developing beyond fertilized due to a lack of nutrition.

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »

Heh, reactor was way easier than I expected:)

Still...

1) Queen should consume royal jelly to make itself a capable digger, we are of body let's use that. Staying underground will let us stay unnoticed for quite a long time
2) Navigation drones and T-drones, work on heating system for the newly planted flowers
5) Some of the drones seal the entrance, we simply don't need to get outside
6) All others dig deep exploratory tunnels, looking for the useful stuff. Water, anything flammable, insulation rocks, anything that can work as fertilizer for flowers, metals
+1, Bigger and Diggier. Bigger things freeze slower, and so adapting for size will give us a survival advantage here, and staying underground just makes sense in this harsh of an environment (and the stealth can't be overlooked). Food is the highest priority as this point so construction of a proper agricultural facility should be our next goal. As we have the Fusion reactor online a steam system could be built to enhance the available warmth in our most important areas (though it might be best to let the flowers adapt more to the native environment, it is hard to say)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 10:34:58 pm »

We have a healthy supply of dormant flowers to experiment later with harsher conditions, that first batch should get as favorable conditions  as possible

I am not sure on bigger size, food consumption is a problem. I'd keep the same size for now

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 10:35:37 pm »

5) Some of the drones seal the entrance, we simply don't need to get outside with a working fusion reactor and the recycler
I am largely indifferent to one. I would like some surface abilities, and that is opposed to them, but should work for a goal of colonising the planet before we are detected.
Two seems good.
Agree to three.
And four.
five should either collapse the tunnel or leave a working door. Either way we should avoid changing the surface appearance any further. What are we doing with displaced material?
Six should occur with the proviso that we should segregate the mines from the hive, so dig a tunnel some distance away, maybe 216 metres, to a chamber for storing recovered materials, and then build exploratory shafts from there. This should be a long-term project that is performed by any drones with free time...

If we are proposing specific qualities, then I propose better insulation for our carapace and try to make it more closely resemble the native terrain.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 50