Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55678 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 9 - Chasing Pirates
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2013, 02:47:47 am »

My proposed course of action: 

Scouts
Work in team of three, (more chances to fight back if located)...  concentrate on scouting botanic facility

Eggs
Lay: 10 M-caste soldiers (attacks from below, hehe) , 1 M-predator (tanks are nice things to have)
Will: 4 M-predators to M-nurses and\or M-commanders, will B-nurse to B-commander

Flowers
As soon as we get ability to:
a) start planting underground flowers in abandoned mines\other tunnels to be tended by patrolling pollinators
b) Also plant some of underground flowers into the new deep hive chamber
c) Plant more evergreen flowers in the optimal chamber
d) Kill and vivisect kai-flower... It has very limited effectivenesses and it is too dangerous. We can keep the knowledge gained to repeat the experiment later when we'll have right facilities and drones to spare
e) Don't forget about queen's flower

Royal jelly
Bring LVL2 soldier to LVL3: Boost soldier's weapon designing ability, add minor electro-resistance, enchant commanding ability

Weapon designs
Design pollen fuel propelled rocket launchers.

Industry
Build second food synthesizer  in the deep part of hive
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 04, 2013, 03:35:55 am »

I would rather have the scouts avoid fights than be able to win them. Scouting in groups would require increased coordination and visibility issues. And if combat occurs I would rather have them destroy themselves with the most common explosives we can muster than risk being observed in any detail.

We have little need for military forces, a pair of hibernating predators should suffice for any situation that we could reasonably afford to engage in.

The experiment continues to be of interest, maintain a quarantine and continue to feed the hybrid.

We require a male with some urgency, and currently our challenges are more civil than military.

We should preserve our pollen supplies for extraplanetary operations. We will likely require a large quantity of primitive extraplanetary devices when we become dominant.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 04, 2013, 05:28:25 am »

We have little need for military forces, a pair of hibernating predators should suffice for any situation that we could reasonably afford to engage in
I am sure that mining soldiers can mine quite well and quite well suited for that in civil life , besides we need versatility in armed forces

We require a male with some urgency, and currently our challenges are more civil than military.
1) No real urgency, five days left, we will get one more royal jelly unit until then
2) We need to be ready for war. As for civil challenges, our main challenge is abundant food and there are better ways to solve that than mating with T-drone
3) Navigation drone makes a bad mate... We'll get a caste that is  best at interstellar navigation... Not that useful in our current situation. While LVL-3 soldier like I propose will create an intelligent mate and strong mate . Also I dislike the motion to pure tech, build industry base solution, we are playing a body queen here... My personal vision of best strategy - creating adaptable nomadic  predatory hives ala Alien. Offspring of mining queen and soldier like I propose will be adapted for that quite well, offspring of Nav drone goes against that concept and will tie us to the techs

We should preserve our pollen supplies for extraplanetary operations. We will likely require a large quantity of primitive extraplanetary devices when we become dominant.
When we will be dominant enough, we'll have enough flowers and refineries to produce as much pollen fuel as we want

Some more mate ideas: ( I prefer LVL3 soldier, but stuff bellow IMO is way better than using interstellar navigator. All ideas assume upgrade now, make fertile later.)

1) Level up one mining drone: Create high speed mining, adapted to dig very-very deep, blind sub-caste
That will allow us to create subhives that will provide us with resources and be virtually indestructible (unless together with planet)
2)  Level up a pollinator, boost it's intelligence, make it more familiar with farming technologies
That will allow us to create an agriculture caste
3) Level up a scout, make it smaller, way better at camouflage and add natural weapon or two
Subcaste off small stealthy Kai, have quite a lot of nice military uses
4) Level up a Nurse, to make her fertile as female (and hermaphrodite later) modifying her in a way that she can produce more eggs, even if of lower quality
That will allow us to create a fast breeding caste

But you just want a boring research boosting drone, that not even optimal for that
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2013, 06:25:59 am »

I am mostly interested in coordination abilities. I wanted a commander, but navigation should have the necessary coordination abilities. You cannot navigate without awareness of your surroundings and the ability to coordinate your movements with your peers.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2013, 06:32:48 am »

Well, I want coordination abilities, too.

Here are what our LVL2 soldier is:
The L2 was first changed to be more durable, and then had its intelligence boosted enough to be a flight leader of up to 20 Soldiers, or a smaller number of advanced Soldiers/Predators/etc. It looks more or less like a regular Soldier, but with larger antennae and a thicker, more flexible carapace.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2013, 08:53:46 am »

+1 to UR's suggestions.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #336 on: June 04, 2013, 10:54:35 am »

On consideration of the replies posted (specifically UR's points) I think the idea of upgrading now and making fertile later is a good one, and with that in mind the most immediate upgrade should be the pollinator, as we badly need to grow our capacity still and having a highly competent agricultural expert around would be very handy for other reasons as well. For example, the AgroMaster would be very handy in our Flow of Life research as well as the Kai-brid research (perhaps they can help us figure out the best application for this idea). Our best Navi drone should definitely be next though, as He could be turned into a more broadly skilled Research Commander who would have all manner of applications. The L2 commander should definitely be in the pipe for upgrade too though, as an L3 Hive Guardian (Hive Tyrant) would also be extremely helpful. 

The Kai-brid project should definitely continue though, there are still many unanswered questions. Also we should definitely breed the Thorny, Invasive Flower as that sounds like it could become a great surface cultivar (maybe even Wild adapted)

A second food synthesizer in the Deep Hive is an excellent idea, also a second stasis chamber (in an evacuation situation it could be handy). Breeding the Flowers is definitely a high priority. Have any specialized, climate controlled rooms needed for the flower breeding setup in the Deep Hive. Actually, if the Pollinator receives the upgrade have His BioLabs built down there as well; in fact all Research Facilities should likely be relocated down there.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 04, 2013, 11:27:43 am »

After reading that... I agree. Professional plant handler is more urgent than weapon designer... but weapondsigner\commander is better for long term strategy... Don't know, like both... OK. Pollinator.

Proposed course of action:  v.2

Scouts
Work in team of three, (more chances to fight back if located)...  concentrate on scouting botanic facility. If located, first try to kill all enemies (and have a snack) , if failed flee and go hiding somewhere far from the hive, to be rescued by tunneling to them should we decide to...
Capturing biped alive could be nice, too...

Eggs
Lay: 5 M-caste soldiers (attacks from below, hehe, decided to save 5 M-soldiers for possible upgrades), 1 M-predator (tanks are nice things to have)
Will: 4 M-predators to M-nurses and\or M-commanders, will B-nurse to B-commander

Flowers
As soon as we get ability to:
a) start planting underground flowers in abandoned mines\other tunnels to be tended by patrolling pollinators
b) Plant more evergreen flowers in the optimal chamber
c) Don't forget about tending for queen's flower

Royal jelly
Upgrade a pollinator to commander pollinator , making it able to both command and coordinate other pollinators (use experience from vivisecting LVL1 commander) and, ideally, able to do plantrelated research.

Weapon designs
Design pollen fuel propelled rocket launchers.

Industry
Build second food synthesizer  in the deep part of hive,
Move stasis chamber to the deep part of hive (no need to have two of them)
Upgrade deep underground farm to plant researching biolabaratory
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:15:13 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 04, 2013, 11:43:19 am »

I would like to get a male immediately, and then save all our jelly to make a mind queen. We rally can't afford any sort of aggression until we have effective extraplanetary forces. For that we will need a good supply of technical expertise, unless we plan to incorporate pollen rockets into our carapace... We currently have technology to address near all of our problems. While biological remedies will be forthcoming with time, at the moment, technology is just much more practical.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 04, 2013, 12:12:03 pm »

We rally can't afford any sort of aggression until we have effective extraplanetary forces.
What? You propose to sit in a hole for years? We need to conquest Mars first, build a spaceforce  next

1)We are body, shouldn't  concentrate on that puny tech. Roleplaywise upgrading a pollinator is the most logical choice for a body queen
2) We need to make ourself more independent from technology, not vise versa. Having technology is nice, being dependent on it is bad.  I want a hive that will easily survive if our fusion reactor will shut down
3) Yep, We have  enough technology to address most of our current problems, that's why we need no tech queen right now. We can win the battle for Mars even with current tech

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 04, 2013, 12:18:49 pm »

The humansdo have Ground to orbit bombardement systems. While they can't breach our hive, they can grind our forces to standstill. Long enough perhaps, to kill us all.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2013, 12:35:39 pm »

Are humans really interested to  turn planet they spent so much resources to terraform back into a lifeless desert by spending even more resources to bombard? Doubt that they'll use such methods immediately, unless they'll see our ability and desire to make and use space-faring vessels ... Besides if we'll create Kai that can live and prosper living miles deep, orbital bombardment will do nothing good for humans.

Most importantly, I dislike playing body queen as tech queen (Or a body dominated hive as a tech dominated hive)
Main advantage of Body queen, ability to adapt Kai better using royal jelly for that

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2013, 12:40:52 pm »

Well... If the humans don't kill us, and another space Civ finds out;by get can probably destroy the Sun....

But yeah, we need to start playing more like a Body Queen. Improve ourselves through Evolution, not tech!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2013, 12:43:06 pm »

The terraforming is by far not complete (no surface vegetation, and temperatures low enough to kill any unshielded vegetation). They can freely use small to medium scale kinetic bombardment without any damage to the terraforming process. At worst, it'll raise a dust cloud, but Mars has those all the time.

The only collateral are those facilities that will be hit by the blast itself.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2013, 01:02:14 pm »

If you want to build a spaceship (I want to, but I am sure that this can wait until we win land war) than do it body queen style, not tech queen style... For example like that:

Step 1) Multi-step upgrade of navigation drone to LVL 5 shipwright (not some generic researcher, but damned shipwright)
Step 2) Turn  the shipwright fertile
Step 3) Make mining queen, one that is suited to live deep undeground
Step 4) Make them fuck , produce a hundred of depth adapted shipwrights
Step 5) Create a huge shipyard miles deep ( do you remember that our shipwrights are adapted for that) , Start building huge capital ship, using  resources mined on the spot and trophies from land war
Step 6) Meanwhile upgrade remaining navigation drone to kick ass navigation drone and make it fertile
Step 7) make it fuck with whatever queen\, creating a crew for the capital ship
Step 8) Bring the capital ship to surface, launch, kick biped's asses

See? No tech queen required
But such plans can wait few royal jelly cycles
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 01:15:02 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50