Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Week 3  (Read 55655 times)

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Day 4 - Hybrid Theory
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:09 pm »

Yes, I am trying to have the aliens use base six mathematics...

There are three kinds of historians: those who can math, and those who can't.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2013, 11:56:37 pm »

uh? base six goes like this: 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 (...) 54 55 100 (=36 in base 10)...
I don't get the joke :/
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, 2.0: Night 2 - Queen of the Stone Age
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2013, 12:32:03 am »

I rather suspect that realism left the building we developed the ability to genetically evolve to environmental stimuli within the span of a single larval stage.

I've wanted to say something about this comment for a while. The first of them is to casually drop a Wiki article on epigenetics, and the second is to discuss the Mohs Scale Of Sci-Fi Hardness.

1. Science In Genre Only: The work is unambiguously set in the literary genre of Science Fiction, but scientific it is not. Things run on Nonsensoleum and Unobtanium, and both Bellisario's Maxim (don't examine this too closely) and the MST3K Mantra (It's just a show; I should really just relax) apply.

2. World Of Nonsensoleum: The universe is full of Nonsensoleum with more to be found behind every star, but the Nonsensoleum is dealt with in a fairly consistent fashion despite its lack of correspondence with reality and, in-world, is considered to lie within the realm of scientific inquiry.

3. Physics Plus: Stories in this class once again have multiple forms of Nonsensoleum, but in contrast to the prior class, the author aims to justify these creations with real and invented natural laws — and these creations and others from the same laws will turn up again and again in new contexts.

4. One Big Lie: Authors of works in this class invent one (or, at most, a very few) counterfactual physical laws and writes a story that explores the implications of these principles.

5. Speculative Science: Stories in which there is no "big lie" — the science of the tale is (or was) genuine speculative science or engineering, and the goal of the author to make as few errors with respect to known fact as possible.

6. Real Life (aka Fiction in Genre Only): A Shared Universe which spawned its own genre, known as "Non Fiction". Despite the various problems of reality being "unrealistic", it is almost universally agreed that there is no other universe known so thoroughly worked out from established scientific principles.

I am aiming to be somewhere between 3 and 4 with this game. Y'all would probably be unsurprised to know how much time I've spent looking things up on Wikipedia and various other sites to see if things could plausibly work, most of it based on Mars and wasps. :D

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2013, 12:42:52 am »

Hrmm, okay, so if we can figure out what is different, than we will know everything...

uh? base six goes like this: 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 (...) 54 55 100 (=36 in base 10)...
I don't get the joke :/
Hrmm, well, three is a single digit, so it will be the same no matter which base you are using, well, it is fictional in binary and trinary, but, well, hrmm, is this a fictional history joke? Or is it that historians can't count to two? Hrmm, If I had any skill at history I might see a reference, but all I see is some poor grammar and the number three, which is not much to make a specific reference. Meh, sorry, I don't get it either...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2013, 12:50:21 am »

Y'all are way overthinking the joke, so I'll say it again as clearly as I can.

There are three kinds of historians: those who understand math and those who don't. I will leave it to you to conclude which of these three groups I belong to.

:P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2013, 01:34:08 am »

Well, just suffice it to say that I will likely keep suggesting powers of six...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »

Posting to watch.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2013, 03:00:34 pm »

As it stands, the proposed course of Day actions are as follows:

Queen
- Create Evergreen/Flower Hybrids
- Dig Additional Farm Chamber (Similar To Outdoor Conditions)
- Examine Resistant Larvae
- Consume Larvae
- Force Eggs
- Lay A Few Eggs

Nurse
- Inspect Hybrid Kai
- Larval Development

Hybrids
- Absorb Sunlight

Tech
- Assemble Industrial Base
- Work on Climate Control System
- More Lightbulbs

Pollinators
- Recovery Dance

Drones
- Begin tunnel to Hiveship Wreck
- Expand mining tunnels

If this is correct, the post will be up later today.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2013, 03:40:04 pm »

Suppose so.

Though don't dig a tunnel to the Hiveship wreck. Because the only stuff that remains is the hull plates; and we'd need a bloody large tunnel to move those, something which would ruin our stealth.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:07 pm »

Yes, I am also opposed to anything that involves an obvious way to find us if anyone conducts a thorough investigation of the crash site. Although we could potentially send off a party to start a new tunnel network some distance away and start salvaging into that...
Read the First Post!

Noxes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fuck Yeah, Dwarf Fortress!
« Reply #235 on: May 24, 2013, 09:03:21 pm »

Yes, I am also opposed to anything that involves an obvious way to find us if anyone conducts a thorough investigation of the crash site. Although we could potentially send off a party to start a new tunnel network some distance away and start salvaging into that...
+1, much better idea. Our Wreckage Exploration tunnels should Not be connected to the hive tunnels, but perhaps start in one of the other nearby pits.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2013, 01:35:57 am »

You go to work in the Biolab to construct a hydroponic and well-lit grow chamber in which to breed the Flowers. You devote a great deal of time to do this, settling on a compromise between the nutrients and acidity of the two. By an impulse, You summon some of the newly-hatched Pollinators to Your side, and perform another Dance, humming at varying pitches for several hours. After this is completed, the roots have become entangled, with the Flower started on assimilating with and adapting to its neighbor. During this time, Your body releases certain chemicals to advance egg development.

The Nurse seals the Hybrids into sterile containers and brings them outside to absorb sunlight. Upon releasing the second, it instantly stabs the Hybrid in the midsection and emits antifungal agents; the Hybrid dies as a result, and is promptly burned via laser fire. The other Hybrid enjoys the moments in the sun, and remains perfectly healthy. After replacing the Hybrid in the container, the Nurse sprays the area with antifungals and returns inside.

The Tech Drones, aided by extra Body drones for the lifting, complete the Industrial Lab, and begin to create an isolated, environmentally-safe area for the Computer System. During the process, a large amount of Scrap Plastic and Refined Pollen Fuel are used to create a variety of plastics via the Molecular Assembler and Atomic Seperator. In the time it takes You to finish Your biological expiriments, they have done a reasonable job of isolating the Computer, and hooking sensors and regulators into the Climate Control system. With the plastics complete, the Assembler creates assorted cross braces for the mining tunnels and supports for the Hive; these are no sooner printed than carted away and put to good use preventing any collapses.

A NavDrone lets You know the scuttling charge is useless as night falls.

Now what?

Changes are in bold, and bear reading..

Spoiler: You Are: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Eggs: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: You Own: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Your Food Supplies (click to show/hide)

Your Nest
Location - Here
Visibility - Hard To Detect
Spoiler: Inside (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Outside (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2013, 01:57:53 am »

If it is damaged, repair the transmitter, if it is in proper working order, but still useless, scavenge the transmitter for parts.
Read the First Post!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2013, 02:50:45 am »

Quite confused with new flowers... Did we hybridize 10 already farmed? Because we still have 19 dormant ones and no new room

As for ship.... I think queen should take a little lone walk, then start digging alone and visit the ship alone, with machine-gun just in case if bipeds are already here.   Our Queen is our best scout right now
But before she leaves,
a) Study genetics of Electro resistant Larva and consume it, trying to apply electric resistance to some unlaid eggs
b) Take L1  commander corpse from the stasis, consume it and try to speed up eggs development to get a commander(s) eggs much earlier
c) Eat enough synthetic food to become fully satiated
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2013, 02:53:24 am »

On another note, why did we kill one of the hybrids?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50