Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how many new clothes do I need?  (Read 1694 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
how many new clothes do I need?
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:45:22 am »

Is there anyway to figure out how many new tunics you need to clothe your current dwarves or are you stuck simply just making some until they stay on the stockpile?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how many new clothes do I need?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:28:44 am »

You can go through the stock lists and compare the number of pristine clothes to your headcount - if for an alternativeless item, you have more good clothes than dwarfs, there's no pressing need. Unfortunately, there are no sorting options to keep fresh and worn clothes apart in the list, it's all jumbled together. Not practical for medium-sized and larger forts.

Tunics are even more complicated, because dwarfs could chose to wear another 'upper body' clothing item instead of a tunic, so the demand would be lower than the dwarfcount. I'd just line up some production until reserves remained in the stockpile.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:58:43 am »

you'll always need more.  One method is to sample a few random dwarfs, see which clothes are ratty, and make clothing orders from there.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:07:32 am »

I just take the simple approach and make some until there are a couple of bins of shirts, pants and shoes left on the stockpile.  It's easy to forget to check this frequently, but clothes rot slowly enough that it hasn't been a problem for me yet.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 03:22:13 pm »

Yeah... generally, once you have enough workers, just pick an outfit that every dwarf gets, set a few dwarves to make clothing exclusively, and have them churn it out nonstop. Make sure to divert all your farms to a massive pig tail grow operation during the summer, get them processed asap, and if you have the ability to grow aboveground crops on any z-level, you should be making rope reeds all year round. My philosophy is "flood the fort with clothing and let the dwarves sort it out." Ratty clothes go towards buying out caravans anyway, so it's all good.

Plus, I've got 19 dwarves, 9 of which are kids, in an uber evil environment... and the two guys who survived a mood got clothesmaking moods. I have a lot of masterwork clothing.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 03:22:56 pm »

How long does clothing last?

From new to worn, and worn to tattered, and etc.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 05:10:04 pm »

Over producing clothing can cause it's own problems. Dwarves have a nasty tendency to hoard worn (x) clothing in cabinets\chests instead of discarding it for disposal. If their personal storage is full they'll just drop it in their room and refuse to relinquish ownership. Long surviving Nobles (who require 5+ storage items) are the worst offenders, stashing enough socks to supply the whole fort.

Goblinite and traders cause another issue;- If you can't make loincloths then dwarves sometimes wear any they find until they rot off (or the dwarf throws a trantrum), even if there's a really nice pair of masterwork trousers available.

Both can be fixed via DFhack's clearowned x (or X, or XX) command if they both you. Make sure you have replacement clothing handy first.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 06:35:50 pm »

Dwarves store their personal clothing in cabinets, or on open floor tiles, in any of their rooms.  They do not store clothing in chests -- just cabinets.

My preferred way to prevent hoarding of used clothing is to not put cabinets into dwarves' rooms (other than Nobles who require them), and to put other furniture on every tile of a dwarf's room, so they have no open spaces to store clothing on the floor.  (In practice, I never have enough furniture to pull off that last bit, but I work toward it slowly.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 06:51:01 pm »

How long does clothing last?

From new to worn, and worn to tattered, and etc.

Clothes gain one level of wear about every two years. The actual cycle is a bit shorter - twenty months and a bit, i think - but since dwarfs will only go shopping for new gear when they're not otherwise occupied with eating, drinking, partying and sleeping (and sometimes working), you can expect a clothing item to be exchanged after two years, if replacements are available. If you have no or little clothing imports, you'll really need a fresh set of clothes finished and ready to distribute after four years are up, because clothing will hit X***X status by then and make its wearers unhappy. Clothing entirely rots away after being worn for something between seven and eight years.

Re: loincloths - dwarfs will wear loincloths _in addition_ to other legwear. If the trouser supply works but you don't acquire new underclothes, they'll wear the loincloths until they rot away and will complain about that, but they won't go bonkers over 'being uncovered', because they'll regularly get fresh trousers.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 07:02:46 am »

clothing requires a lot of effort and time and I hope addressing issues with rot, ownership, storage, and I hope this is one of the first issues Toady tackles once the next release is ready.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

3iff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 07:58:25 am »

It would be nice if there was an option to make a full set of clothes (suitable for 1 dwarf) as one option rather than "make a tunic" "make trousers" "make socks" and so on, even on repeat. Then we could just queue up 30 jobs to make "full set of clothes" and it would automate much of the task...ditto for armour.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 10:32:49 am »

It would be nice if there was an option to make a full set of clothes (suitable for 1 dwarf) as one option rather than "make a tunic" "make trousers" "make socks" and so on, even on repeat. Then we could just queue up 30 jobs to make "full set of clothes" and it would automate much of the task...ditto for armour.

☼MASTERWORK MOD☼ -> Tailor's Workshop does exactly that.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 12:15:54 am »

Both can be fixed via DFhack's clearowned x (or X, or XX) command if they both you. Make sure you have replacement clothing handy first.

I wish I knew that before I did that for the first time. Next thing I know, everyone in my 150+ fortress is nude except for socks and gloves. It pretty much descended into mass suicides and naked fights in the dining hall. I'm sure some future goblin seiger will stumble upon an empty fortress filled with naked corpses. :(

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 04:04:00 pm »

☼MASTERWORK MOD☼ -> Tailor's Workshop does exactly that.

That's amazing!

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 05:58:21 pm »

I've taken to selling everything with an x. Gets me stuff and disposes of the junk.
Pages: [1] 2