Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100103 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #405 on: May 26, 2013, 03:31:40 am »

If you're telling the truth, there is no way the scum will let you live through the night.

This statement is false.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 26, 2013, 04:07:06 am »

If you're telling the truth, there is no way the scum will let you live through the night.

This statement is false.
So, i'm jumping the gun here?

um, advice please, is trying for an interaction-based analysis right now a good idea or no?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 26, 2013, 04:14:09 am »

Deal with what's on your plate.  Don't chain lynches.  If you dig up significant data on Cado's alignment one way or another, then that's great, but don't jump the gun and look specifically for a scumbuddy (for example, you might overlook information on people who, say, tunneled or bandwagoned him to death, if he's town; and that would be the information you wanted.  Wearing yourself out for nothing.  If you're town, then your energy is your most precious resource.  Use it well).

The reason why that statement is false, though, is because of WIFOM.  If the scum are sitting pretty right now, why would they assume they'd get investigated?  Might be worth a gamble!  He looks shitty, the town lynches him, the scum get more kills.  Like, you can go on and on and on with that chain of reasoning.  Just focus on trying to find out his alignment without too much speculation into motivations.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 26, 2013, 04:24:55 am »

Ok, i'm a bit lost then. All my reading has simply said that Day 1 claims are dumb, and not to do it, with no explanation of how to handle one. Unless someone counter-claims him (which I think would also be dumb, but I would like to hear your opinion on this option), do we grant him a stay of execution even if he looks scummy, on the off-chance that he's town, or do I put my vote back on him, since the reasons I had for having it on him in the first place are unchanged?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 26, 2013, 04:33:57 am »

If someone counter-claims him, then it's worth trading one-for-one, IMO.

Look, even if my gut says Cado is town, it's not worth acting on it.  If you think he's scum, then kill him.  It doesn't matter what power-role he claims.  He learns something, we learn something.  You don't get a "get out of scummitude free" card just because you told a lie with great confidence.

I honestly don't want to lynch him, but my opinion is that we have to.  I'm a bit lost myself, and I welcome opposing arguments.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 26, 2013, 04:41:58 am »

So, remain mostly unswayed and vote as I think, despite the claim?

in that case, Ranger I haven't seen any reason to remove my vote from you other than your roleclaim.
I think that extend I voted for a moment ago still is a good idea.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 26, 2013, 04:50:16 am »

Did I not vote for that?

Extend.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 26, 2013, 05:48:56 am »

Don't Lynch-The-Idiot Scenario: 
This provides us with a lot of different things that could take place.  The jailkeeper, if there is one, plays a huge role in it as well.  Let's assume there is a jailkeeper, for argument's sake.  We don't lynch Cado, and he goes through the night alive.  He then claims who he inspected in the night, and the read.  If there is a jailkeeper, then they say whether he's telling the truth or not, either by staying silent or role-claiming.  Assuming Cado doesn't die in the night, we get a confirmation on his claim, one way or another.  Pretty much, a huge case of WIFOM that the jailkeeper gets to deal with.
Pup: what about the case where we have no jailkeeper after all? I dont want him to become "confirmed town" through the silence of a nonexistant jailkeeper.

regarding the slip Day made, I want to wait to weigh in until Ford gets around to answering the question I asked him Thursday, because the wait is making me wonder if he's waiting to hear MY opinion of Day before saying his own. in the meantime though, I'd like some clarification of something.

Dem: What is the big difference between the slip you and Vector are accusing Day of and the slip I accused Shinigami of? I was condemned for making that accusation of Shinigami, but this, quite similar, accusation appears to be being taken quite seriously. what criteria makes a potential slip worth pressing or not?

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: May 26, 2013, 10:16:15 am »

I won't be able to post here for about 6 hours as i have church and homework to do. I'll have a bigger post addressing everything then. EXTEND
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: May 26, 2013, 12:11:48 pm »

EXTEND

We will need the time to sort through this mess. I've got a lot of scenarios running through my head, but none of them are ideal.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: May 26, 2013, 12:35:23 pm »

Since here

Extension Granted

Vote standings:

• RangerCado(4) - Shinigami_King, Vector, Griffionday, Lenglon
  • Griffionday(1) - Demdemeh
  • Lenglon(0) -
  • birdy51(1) - RangerCado
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • Demdemeh(1) - Captain Ford
  • Shinigami_King(0) -
  • Vector(0) -
  • Captain Ford(0) -
  • Not Voting(2) - griffinpup, birdy51

Day 1 has begun and will end at May 29, 2013. [Wednesday] 9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

"This doesn't look good."
"The loss of most officials on the board, or the position of your King, ma'am?"
"No. Word from the standing guard of the region. They're recalling troops on some undefined order.

"And word is coming from our area. Hold on, I'll check the outpost wards in the meantime."
"It is your move."

I'm have returned.

PS: I search the word 'Extend/Shorten/Oppose' in the forum searchengine for easier checks if I missed anything. Heh.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:09:55 pm by Tiruin »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: May 26, 2013, 01:05:26 pm »

my vote is currently on ranger, please see above.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 26, 2013, 01:18:29 pm »

Real quick post.  I'll cover everything later today. 
Don't Lynch-The-Idiot Scenario: 
This provides us with a lot of different things that could take place.  The jailkeeper, if there is one, plays a huge role in it as well.  Let's assume there is a jailkeeper, for argument's sake.  We don't lynch Cado, and he goes through the night alive.  He then claims who he inspected in the night, and the read.  If there is a jailkeeper, then they say whether he's telling the truth or not, either by staying silent or role-claiming.  Assuming Cado doesn't die in the night, we get a confirmation on his claim, one way or another.  Pretty much, a huge case of WIFOM that the jailkeeper gets to deal with.
Pup: what about the case where we have no jailkeeper after all? I dont want him to become "confirmed town" through the silence of a nonexistant jailkeeper.
It's my understanding that us, the town, have to have a  role in our camp.  We have the cop, the jailkeeper, or both.  Knowing this, we can assume that there is a jailkeeper until someone counter claims Cado.  The real cop should do if he exists.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 26, 2013, 01:30:04 pm »

fair point, if we have no cop, then it IS safe to assume we have a jailkeeper...
still, that would leave us with no power roles and one unidentified scum...
so much WIFOM...
I dont like voting then unvoting over and over again on the same person. I think I'll mull this over for a while so that if I unvote again I wont have to put it right back on him five posts later.

Pup: how is having the real cop out themselves on day 1, before they've been able to get a single read, helpful to us? It will let us solidify our read of Ranger, but it will also out them to the remaining scum, and we'll be in almost the exact same situation as before Ranger claimed. If we can figure out Ranger's alignment without leaving ourselves with no power roles, then we'll be in much better shape. Even if we end up leaving Ranger alive for now, can't the real cop counterclaim on day 2 or 3, after having gotten some reads, and maybe found the other scum as well?

Is it really worth it to leave the town without power roles to kill one scum?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 26, 2013, 01:41:06 pm »

Captain Ford, we need your input on this situation. You haven't posted for two days, and frankly that's extremely worrying considering you are one of our ICs. Where are you?
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 51