Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100271 times)

Demdemeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird -- IC Replacement Requested
« Reply #465 on: May 28, 2013, 09:06:00 pm »

Demdemeh:
Obviously, there's still some suspicion on the other side, since Gday is voting me, now, and I think that that's a bit of an OMGUS at this point (as you so lovingly accused me of, GDay)
My understanding of OMGUSing is that it is voting someone in an attempt to get them off your back; and implies that you don't see any pressure or attempt to hunt behind the vote.  If you truly believed that this was the case in my read on you probably should not revert to mentioning it to others and press me on it.

I was referring to your claim that I was OMGUSing, not claiming that you were.

I think you're accusing me of chainsawing you to protect Shinigami; which is complete rubbish and you know it.  My reason for pressing you was based on your presentation of your case and the assumptions you made in making your case against Shinigami and pressing griffinpup.

It would seem that I was saying that, yes. I think it's probably fairer to state that you were following up on griffinpup's points, which I think I answered rather well.
First of why did you decide to misinterpret my pressure on you as chainsawing?
Secondly; why the bolded comment?  The fact that I pressed you on your answers to griffinpup's posts should tell you exactly how well I think you answered them.

Your statements seemed to me to be defensive of Shinigami.

Let me ask again then: why did you copy griffinpup's questions press Shinigami when your own case was only "why did you defend Lenglon when you claimed he was scummy?"[Link]. 

Your case btw makes no sense if you paid attention to the chronology of Shinigami's defense of Lenglon, and then calling him scummy.  It sounds like you're being opportunistic and looking for places where you can manipulate people's statements and reads to paint them scummy wherever possible.

Shinigami's defense of Lenglon happened pretty early in the game, while I was still adjusting to the basics of this game. If you'd pay attention to the chronology of my own posts, you'd notice that.
My point about the chronology that you completely missed is that Shinigami's opinion of Lenglon changed between when he was defending her and when he was calling her scummy.  Additionally the shift was from white knight to scummy, not the reverse.  You're taking advantage of this fact in your pressure on Shinigami by ignoring his obvious shifts in opinion and instead claiming that he always held Lenglon to be scum.

I was pointing out that the only reads he had given out at the time were to label Lenglon and me both as scum. I think it's no coincidence that we are the two that he has been the most defensive of, as well.

In addition, there's little difference between "being opportunistic and looking for places where you can manipulate people's statements and reads to paint them scummy" and "feeling suspicious and discussing the parts of someone's statements that make you feel suspicious in order to put pressure on someone" as far as I can tell. Can you explain to me exactly what that difference is, and how what you're doing with my own statements isn't the same thing?
Your statements make no sense to me so I am forced to interpret them.  I have attempted to be crystal clear on precisely what I am interpreting what way, to give you a chance to correct me.  What I'm accusing you of, as previously mentioned, is ignoring a large body of Shinigami's work and attempting to use two isolated posts of his as if they were simultaneous.

This is the first time that that point has been made clearly. Much of the rest of it has been a quote from me, immediately followed by a twisted paraphrasing of the words used.

I think griffionpup made it clear here that he wasn't attacking you over the actual act of voting shinigami and just over the fact that you hadn't provided reasons.  What made you so sure that your act of attacking Shinigami was the issue at hand?

I'm pretty sure that I addressed this, already, too. What is your problem, Gday? Digging up buried hatchets to make old cases new again is not a charming trait. I'm not impressed, and I don't think anyone else is, either. The aggressiveness of his statements, paired with his own attack with Shinigami, made me feel that it was a bizarre juxtaposition.
You failed to answer my question which was about the assumption you made about what griffinpup was pressing you on.

I did NOT ask you why you considered it odd. 

Did I not answer the question? I think you just don't like my answer. My assumption at the time was that he was attacking me because I was attacking Shinigami. I thought I had made my reasons clear, but I am still getting the hang of spelling out my thoughts in writing.

And you make no sense to me. That's the beauty of not seeing into each others' heads. There's a bit too much attempt at interpretation on your side, however... try to read the sentence as it's written, first. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I do actually.  And then in the 90% of cases where that doesn't work, I attempt to interpret most likely meaning.  Hence why I press you on something more than once and "dig up old hatchets": I need to be absolutely sure of what you are trying to say.

Could you let me know what you think I'm trying to say up to this point, then, please?

Honestly the day end was three days away (one and a half if you don't count weekends); and so I wasn't really paying attention to where you were in the charts.  Hammers are not in effect so it doesn't really matter, I will press scum where I see them.

Likewise.
Why the comment that you were at the top of the charts in pressure then?[Link]

Because of my prior statement of the possibility of you being in league with Cado. He's top scumpick right now for a lot of people, and if you're his buddy, diverting onto me helps you out a lot. Similarly, since I seem to be a perennial favorite target, piling suspicion on me and trying to lead a little bandwagon seems easier than choosing, say, Vector as a target.

I am not pressuring Cado. I'm pressuring you, and I've made my position clear: RC is untrustworthy.
This might just be you not playing the way I tend to, but why would you FoS him if you weren't pressuring him?  Attempting to look town?

I'm not sure if he's scum or just ridiculous, claiming Cop on day one. I do think that you emerged from the shadows as pretty scummy immediately after his claim, though; especially with your typo.

Why did you only use this to defend your case on Shinigami rather than say; pressing him about it?

Once again, I was at a point of acclimatization at that point, and learning how to scumhunt. I was not itemizing the things I should attack people on and viciously pressing my case, as I obviously should be doing, according to some philosophies. This has already been addressed.
Fair.  Why did you include it in the points that you were "trying, but failing to make"?  Do you count bringing up something new on someone to protect yourself from accusations that you're just leaving your vote on someone without putting thought into it as trying to make a point?

Actually, yes. If I forgot to mention it up front, I think that bringing it up at any further time, as long as it exists in history, makes sense. Forgetfulness is not scumminess.

Specifically what I'm seeing here is that you are claiming that my sentence was a deliberate statement of intent, rather than what it was; a typo.  You know this is bullshit, as you say in your post to griffinpup.  So why are you claiming that?  Are you trying to whip together a bandwagon?

Have you heard of a Freudian slip? You accidentally say something that you're thinking instead of what you should say. In this case, town instead of scum. Something can be a typo AND an admission of guilt under those conditions. All you have to do is think about your secret scum power roles, and realize how little you want them to be exposed, and BLAM... typing too fast will lead to your inserting "town" when you're thinking of your opponents. That's why I'm claiming that.
I'm aware of what Freudian slips are.  And if anyone made a typo that could be the result of them being scum and typing to fast to correct their language to town I would be jumping down their throats about it and forcing them to explain in excruciating detail precisely what was going through their minds.

That's not what I was commenting on.  What I was commenting on the fact was that you WEREN'T doing this to me, rather that you were saying "oh; look at this slip that Griffy made, doesn't it make him obviously scum to you?" in an attempt to get people who were previously pressuring you, to switch their votes to me; which seems desperate and scummy.  I mention that you know that it is bullshit as you NEVER pressed me on as I expect town would; instead you just "mention it obliquely at least once."  In other words, you "know" without having to read.  Ergo scum.

You want pressure? All right.

What good reason would someone have to make THAT typo? What WERE you thinking, besides "What the hell, dude?!" when Cado roleclaimed? Why did you pick that moment to jump all over me? Because I still maintain that it looks an awful lot like your buddy is doomed, and you're trying to divert pressure, just as you accused me of diverting from myself to Shinigami. You haven't said an awful lot to Cado, actually, since he claimed. Everyone else has had a lot more to say, and you even commented on MY opinion; why did you think it was my purpose to apply pressure to him when all I said was that I didn't know if he was trustworthy?

I'm tired of waiting, too. Shorten.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: May 28, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »

Vote standings:

• RangerCado(3) - Shinigami_King, Vector, Lenglon
  • Griffionday(1) - Demdemeh
  • Lenglon(0) -
  • birdy51(0) -
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • Demdemeh(2) - RangerCado, Griffionday
  • Shinigami_King(1) - griffinpup
  • Vector(0) -
  • Captain Ford(0) -
  • Not Voting(2) - birdy51, Captain Ford

Captain Ford has requested a Replacement!

Day 1 has begun and will end at May 29, 2013. [Wednesday] 9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 1

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

A ball of crimson fire floats in from the window and about the room's ceiling. For those who examine it, see brilliant engravings and multicolored frescoes dotting the upper part of the hall.

"Shoo Dariush! You aren't allowed in here!"

The ball of fire stops and flares up, as if annoyed. The Keeper has returned with a flustered look on her face.

"Get back to the lower levels, you. We need peace here, and you're burning the supports."

The spirit replies with a red flush, and a dissipating sound.

"Sorry everyone. Dariush isn't part of our trial here, but I'm quite sure he's onto something."

Dariush has been banished!
He was a Spoiled Spectator!

Votecount, please.
Sorry. Was sick a day ago--still sick now. *sniff*

Bad colds. Shoo :I
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 12:34:35 pm by Tiruin »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: May 28, 2013, 09:12:11 pm »

Awww :<  Feel better!

Birdy, why aren't you voting?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: May 28, 2013, 09:33:14 pm »

I was going to mention that I thought it was odd that you were "finished with this hectic day" but you still havn't voted. What's up birdy? Also, I hope it's okay with you guys if I ask for a shorten as well. I feel about done with this day and I also feel like we might get some more clues if we let night go through. Also it will give me some time to read through the thread without having to worry about posting. Thank whatever you believe in for the night! Hallelujah~~~
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: May 28, 2013, 09:34:32 pm »

I'll shorten once Birdy votes and it's clear that we're not going to have a tie.

Y'all are right--around now is a good time for a shortening.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: May 28, 2013, 10:01:22 pm »

Day ends in 10 hours. i don't think we need to shorten.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: May 28, 2013, 10:07:03 pm »

Wait... what? I thought... but I... where has my life disappeared to? I could have sworn it was still Monday and this was not until Wednesday afternoon and I'm screwed up in the head. Never mind. I'm keeping my shorten there just for sh*ts and giggles.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: May 28, 2013, 10:36:20 pm »

I was planning on watching the how the chips fall on this one, but it looks like we do need an extra vote to seal this one.

I have no intention of creating hung jury.

RangerCado

Also, a vote to Shorten as well. I'm locking in on this.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: May 28, 2013, 10:37:25 pm »

All right.  Shorten.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:56 pm »

Oh yeah, warning: I'll be absent from this Friday on for a week.  Visiting relatives in Missouri.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »

shorten. I'm not getting out of this so here goes:

Bah!!!! I'm out of here. See you in a bit dariush!

(thats five votes for day end)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: May 28, 2013, 11:00:58 pm »

Demdemeh:

Firstly you missed the following question:
Why did you say "I think it's probably fairer to state that you were following up on griffinpup's points, which I think I answered rather well"?  Why did you consider that to be something of merit to your case?  Are you giving yourself a congratulatory pat on the back for answering pressure well?

Demdemeh:
Obviously, there's still some suspicion on the other side, since Gday is voting me, now, and I think that that's a bit of an OMGUS at this point (as you so lovingly accused me of, GDay)
-snip-
I was referring to your claim that I was OMGUSing, not claiming that you were.
...Yes you are.

My point about the chronology that you completely missed is that Shinigami's opinion of Lenglon changed between when he was defending her and when he was calling her scummy.  Additionally the shift was from white knight to scummy, not the reverse.  You're taking advantage of this fact in your pressure on Shinigami by ignoring his obvious shifts in opinion and instead claiming that he always held Lenglon to be scum.
I was pointing out that the only reads he had given out at the time were to label Lenglon and me both as scum. I think it's no coincidence that we are the two that he has been the most defensive of, as well.
I don't recall him being particularly defensive of you.  Could you point me to examples?

Your statements make no sense to me so I am forced to interpret them.  I have attempted to be crystal clear on precisely what I am interpreting what way, to give you a chance to correct me.  What I'm accusing you of, as previously mentioned, is ignoring a large body of Shinigami's work and attempting to use two isolated posts of his as if they were simultaneous.
This is the first time that that point has been made clearly. Much of the rest of it has been a quote from me, immediately followed by a twisted paraphrasing of the words used.
Which point precisely? 

Did I not answer the question? I think you just don't like my answer. My assumption at the time was that he was attacking me because I was attacking Shinigami.
Closer.  Now why did you think that?

Could you let me know what you think I'm trying to say up to this point, then, please?
You quoted most of it...  Unless you had a specific point in mind.

Why the comment that you were at the top of the charts in pressure then?[Link]
Because of my prior statement of the possibility of you being in league with Cado. He's top scumpick right now for a lot of people, and if you're his buddy, diverting onto me helps you out a lot. Similarly, since I seem to be a perennial favorite target, piling suspicion on me and trying to lead a little bandwagon seems easier than choosing, say, Vector as a target.
You missed the point.  Again.  I'm saying that if you weren't paying attention to the charts and hunting based on what you saw as scummy, you wouldn't have made the comment that you were at the tops of the charts in pressure.

You want pressure? All right.

What good reason would someone have to make THAT typo? What WERE you thinking, besides "What the hell, dude?!" when Cado roleclaimed? Why did you pick that moment to jump all over me? Because I still maintain that it looks an awful lot like your buddy is doomed, and you're trying to divert pressure, just as you accused me of diverting from myself to Shinigami. You haven't said an awful lot to Cado, actually, since he claimed. Everyone else has had a lot more to say, and you even commented on MY opinion; why did you think it was my purpose to apply pressure to him when all I said was that I didn't know if he was trustworthy?

I'm tired of waiting, too. Shorten.
You still fail to comprehend the definition of "typo"...

"Not this again..." mostly, he did similar stuff two or three times last game we played together; got yelled at for it, but it seems to have not stuck. 

Because you finally responded to my earlier pressure.

The FoS was a hint.  There is also the fact that you seem to think vague comments about people is considered to be applying pressure...

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 28, 2013, 11:16:08 pm »

The FoS was a hint.  There is also the fact that you seem to think vague comments about people is considered to be applying pressure...
Just realized I'm unclear here:  I'm referring to this:
Why did you include it in the points that you were "trying, but failing to make"?  Do you count bringing up something new on someone to protect yourself from accusations that you're just leaving your vote on someone without putting thought into it as trying to make a point?

Actually, yes. If I forgot to mention it up front, I think that bringing it up at any further time, as long as it exists in history, makes sense. Forgetfulness is not scumminess.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 28, 2013, 11:18:03 pm »

Griffionday, if you want to keep arguing, you should probably consider opposing the shortening.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2013, 11:46:46 pm »

I had considered it; but his post record is once per day and he's already off.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 51