Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100072 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #315 on: May 23, 2013, 10:26:52 pm »

Vote standings:

• RangerCado(3) - Shinigami_King, Lenglon, birdy51
  • Griffionday(0) -
  • Lenglon(0) -
  • birdy51(1) - Vector
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • Demdemeh(3) - griffinpup, Captain Ford, RangerCado
  • Shinigami_King(2) - Demdemeh, Griffionday
  • Vector(0) -
  • Captain Ford(0) -
  • Not Voting(0) -

Day 1 has begun and will end at May 27, 2013. [Monday] 9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

It is now noonday. For those who chance a glance at the windows--and thus, the lands outside--see a spectacular combination of light and scenery; the light blending in with trees, mountains and oceanic landmasses as well as their shadows in making a wonderful scene.

"Don't think about that too much. You may probably get to see it first-hand."

You notice that there is no railing or glass protecting that part of the hall from the outside...it's quite a nice view from near the top of the Aerie, really.

Note ahead everyone, I'll be absent on May 25 [Saturday] because of family vacation ^^

Not that it matters much--you're all in until Monday!

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28:50 pm »

Demdemeh: Please respond to these outstanding questions:
Captain Ford: You say you accidentally defend scum in the early game, which blinds you later. What sort of thing does it take to make you question your current opinions.
Preferably hard evidence, and for that, there's nothing like a roleflip. A particularly strong or persuasive post can change my mind too. Borno did an excellent job at the end of the last BM presenting his case, although at that point I was still undecided.

Shinigami_King: How do you feel about Vector's concentrated drive against Lenglon?
Having trouble forming an opinion on your own, Demdemeh?

This is a pretty slanted question, designed to cast suspicion onto either Vector or Lenglon. It's even scummier when used on one's self, but in this case it looks like you're just trying to play the situation up.

And also this post from Giffinpup:
Spoiler: It's a big post (click to show/hide)

Ranger:
Lenglon: I've played reactively as it suits my mindset. I'm not a very assertive person so i rarely take the initaitive. I tried to pressure Dem but he disappeared and i've been busy most of today. Explain how i've been hiding my thought processes please.
How about that gambit you performed in Magic Mafia? That took initiative and some cajones to attempt.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2013, 10:30:29 pm »

It wouldn't neccisarily be defensive play.
I don't see why a townie couldn't play sporadically, confusing all players to a point where its hard to justify lynching them, or NKing them as they don't seem to be doing anything yet their points are valid.
the underline is mine and relevant.
so it supposedly wouldn't be playing defensive, but it would be playing specifically to try to live longer? if that isn't playing defensive, what is?
people will start to think your being unhelpful
they'll also generally tell you when you go too far. case in point, the way vector told me to back off when I was attacking Day. or the way shinigami told vector to back off when she was attacking me.
scum might just kill you to create massive WIFOM.
Scum are going to kill someone anyway, and there are good reasons use of WIFOM is frowned upon.

A pattern is not needed to be aggresive, but a lack of consistency is a form of scumtell. since scum dont actually have to hunt, they just need to justify their actions and try to survive each day. scum will often say one thing and do another, or change their mind without rhyme or reason. the most common examples of this is the unexplained or minimally explained bandwagon vote, or a last-second bus on a doomed scumbuddy, and so on. however this logic can extend out to include having a lack of consistency in their scumhunting as a whole. I dont consider it anywhere near as strong a scumtell when extended like this, but I do find your attempt to justify defensive gameplay as a whole quite scummy.

PPE:
Lenglon:
such gameplay is defensive, and scummy for the same reason all other forms of defensive gameplay is scummy.
Why is playing defensively scummy? 

I know Vector already covered this, but I want to know what you took away from that conversation.
defensive gameplay is scummy because scum's primary goal is survival. townie's have to hunt down and lynch the scum, which is an aggressive action, and aided by aggressive gameplay. if everyone has perfect defenses and so lynches are either totally random or don't happen at all, scum win, pretty much every time. we HAVE to act aggressively or the scum win by default, hiding and bunkering ourselves up is going to do nothing for us.

SO MANY PPES! luckily none include questions to me in them so i'll just post this now, and hopefully not find a reason to double-post after some further review.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2013, 10:34:42 pm »

Eh another post from me, but I forgot the adress this in my first message to Lenglon. Luckily, this is a bit on the lighter side...

Werewolf seems to be the popular popular game to learn Mafia from! I actually learned how to play it in my German Class... Roles were assigned by passing them out from a deck of cards. I don't remember much of the games, but I distinctly remember the Lovers somehow winning the game one round. Twas quite fun!

If only for our mutual bond in how we first experienced this game... I accept your cookie. But I shall not eat it. Not yet...
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 23, 2013, 10:44:21 pm »

Quick post to address Fords question: That was something i didn't think would work and was going to stop it earlier if it hadn't seem to be actually working in Towns favor (I was right too that NQT was Town even if i started to doubt it at the end, I just didn't expect Vector to be able to grab a scum buddy from the masses)

I'll answer your concerns in a bit Birdy, i'm just a bit hungry right now. I should be fine as i was preparing myself for the last three or four days. Just kind of a shock as we all thought she was going to recover. (freaking cancer ruins everything)
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 23, 2013, 10:48:53 pm »

Lenglon:
SO MANY PPES! luckily none include questions to me in them so i'll just post this now, and hopefully not find a reason to double-post after some further review.
Don't worry too much about double posting. Since you can't edit, it's kind of expected.

I honestly don't know why double-posting is so looked-down-upon. But then there are times where I will post five or six times in a row (usually only when I'm very confused. I find it helpful to post one line of thinking before moving on to another).

Generally speaking, players find big walls of text more disorienting than multiple posts. Especially when you're following links from quotes and then trying to find the reference in a ginormous post.

That's just my opinion of course, and YMMV.

Ranger:
Quick post to address Fords question: That was something i didn't think would work and was going to stop it earlier if it hadn't seem to be actually working in Towns favor (I was right too that NQT was Town even if i started to doubt it at the end, I just didn't expect Vector to be able to grab a scum buddy from the masses)
I don't think that quite addresses my question. You said you don't take the initiative and I provided a counter-example of you taking the initiative and asked you to explain the discrepancy.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 23, 2013, 11:06:13 pm »

I'm sorry but I'm taking today off to relax. Good thing too because I notice that everything that I was planning on addressing has been covered already. I'm sure everyone is interested anyway to see where my head is at so here are the things I was going to speak of.
-Ranger, defensive=scum. See Lenglon's post.
-Ranger, You are behaving in a "Wait for others to do something" manner. See Lenglon's post again.
-Pup, Who we choose to attack is up to us. I have come to believe that we may think similarly seeing as we attack the same targets. I don't really know though to be honest here.
-Ranger, Why are you putting you're vote on Demdem who seems to have enough pressure? Why not, I don't know, attacking someone?

Griffy- Addressing your question. I realize what you are saying but when I excused myself I also promised to post at a time and I kept that promise. If I posted something with no weight or said "Oop's I forgot." I would be in a different position here. Also I softballed you by accident. In fact I have a bad habit of doing that (I play softball as a hobby). I was tired during the post so I wasn't thinking to hard about pressuring. Like I said, I'm not good with pressure, whether it's around me or coming from me.

I think that's it? I don't know :( If I missed something that you think I should cover just point it out please.

PPE
I disagree Ranger. Walls of text are disorienting but it at least shows that they put their thoughts in a row. If it's well put togeather you see a strong case or defense. It also presents a chance for scum to trip up and make a mistake because they get "very confused". So, would you mind explaining why you do so many double posts. (All with little content)
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 23, 2013, 11:13:03 pm »

I disagree Ranger. Walls of text are disorienting but it at least shows that they put their thoughts in a row. If it's well put togeather you see a strong case or defense. It also presents a chance for scum to trip up and make a mistake because they get "very confused". So, would you mind explaining why you do so many double posts. (All with little content)
That's not my name but it's half-addressed to me, so I'll answer it.

Personally, I tend to post like that when I'm at work, where I get interrupted frequently, disrupting my thoughts and making it hard to string together long posts. In the past, I know Ranger often posted from this DSi, which I imagine has a very small screen and made it difficult for him to work on large posts.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 23, 2013, 11:13:48 pm »

Shinigami:
I'm sorry but I'm taking today off to relax.

-snip-

Griffy- Addressing your question. I realize what you are saying but when I excused myself I also promised to post at a time and I kept that promise. If I posted something with no weight or said "Oop's I forgot." I would be in a different position here. Also I softballed you by accident. In fact I have a bad habit of doing that (I play softball as a hobby). I was tired during the post so I wasn't thinking to hard about pressuring. Like I said, I'm not good with pressure, whether it's around me or coming from me.
Hmm... I'm still not sure what post you were referring to when you said  I'd "accused you of not scumhunting."  When you get a chance could you quote the one you were thinking of?  I understand this may wait until you get back.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 23, 2013, 11:18:58 pm »

Ford: You missed a question from me.
Ford: what do you think of Day?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: May 23, 2013, 11:23:30 pm »

Um... I think you missed this one Shinigami.
I do have an opinion on who is scum, however. 

Shinigami-  I choose Shinigami because he isn't blatantly bad, like Cheesecake or Demdemeh (No offence), but has been giving off scum tells. He came into the game buddying pretty hard to Lenglon in the beginning, though they did both give explanations for that after being prompted.  That's not where it stopped, though.
Spoiler: Shini's Post (click to show/hide)
In this fairly recent post, he outlined his reads from all the characters.  If you'll notice, he gives an explanation for every one of his reads of us in his short description. Except, of course, Lenglon.  He called him scummy, but then ranks him the second lowest out of everyone?  Especially when he ranks people he read as "slight scum" as more suspicious then decidedly "scummy".  Shinigami actually gave an excuse not to pressure him!  Shinigami, why do you thing Lenglon is scummy but less scummy then, say, everyone else?  Since you never addressed why you thought he was scummy, what about his play makes him scummy?  What response do you have to the fact that, if I'm not mistaken, you have NEVER pressured him? Yet you make excuses to not do so again?  You say that he is less of a concern.  You then rank him to be your lowest concern.  Why wouldn't you be concerned?  Perhaps even though he's scum, you feel safe because you are too.  A definite possibility at this point.  He only pressured you very briefly over an issue of semantics.  In fact he pushed so soft that it looked like someone pulling punches.  Why would he do this?
Next...
[/spoiler]
I would appreciate some clarification on these points.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2013, 11:28:33 pm »

Ford: It was something i had little faith in actually working. I don't do those sorts of things on a regular basis as i'm used to being talked over, or if i do take the initiative, almost completely ignored. The gambit in magic mafia was something i expected to fall apart quickly, or just be ignored. (The fact that i guessed so much of the information correctly was kind of ridiculous though. that was fun) Also, as Birdy pointed out, i've kinda put more uneccisary pressure on Dem already, then you come in with a fourth vote? Now this is a band wagon vote.

Birdy: More questioning would come from an odd appearence in your reads was what i was referring too. Something out of place or misunderstood was what i was looking for. Seeing none of that, your reads seemed genuine. Okay, my vote maybe a little over doing it yes, but he said he was going to get more into the game, then vanished again! (6-8 hours now since his last post) Fords is incredibly over doing it though, 4 votes is ridiculous. I'm not going to remove my vote though because this will just give lenglon more ammunition, and i don't see anyone else i might use it on right now without being accused of OMGUS.

Shinigami: You know me so you should know by now that if i don't over do things, i under do them. And as Ford said, i do post from my DS alot which is why i almost never use quotes too. I got a Blackberry tablet which i am using the wrong charger for because i lost the correct one at my Dad's house so it doesn't often have a good charge and quoting still sucks with it. Its also intersting to note that you completely overlooked Ford giving him a fourth vote despite checking the newer posts. Why did you not also address him? As for attacking someone, i could attack you or Lenglon, but the other would just accuse me of OMGUSing as you two seem to be working together in some way shape or form. You two can deny this but it would fit with how you've been playing so far. (My DS also has a letter limit somewhere in the 2000s or 4000s. its sucks)

Jeez, 7 PPEs. Atleast only a couple were addressed to me.
[/quote]

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »

Also, as Birdy pointed out, i've kinda put more uneccisary pressure on Dem already, then you come in with a fourth vote? Now this is a band wagon vote.
Are you joking? I've been voting him for quite a while now.

I see your post, Longlen, I'll take a close look at Day and get back to you tomorrow. I'm falling asleep at my keyboard as it is.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2013, 12:02:29 am »

Also, as Birdy pointed out, i've kinda put more uneccisary pressure on Dem already, then you come in with a fourth vote? Now this is a band wagon vote.
Are you joking? I've been voting him for quite a while now.

I see your post, Longlen, I'll take a close look at Day and get back to you tomorrow. I'm falling asleep at my keyboard as it is.
...Thats it, i'm going to bed too. No way should i be messing that up.
[/quote]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: May 24, 2013, 01:03:52 am »

I suppose I will ask a question in return... Lenglon, be a bit more detailed on what you think of me. Don't be shy about it.

Birdy, what information do you think you'll get out of this question?

I was honestly a bit suprised that he said there wasn't anything to be taken from my introduction. His tone seemed to be a bit dismissive, which bothered me. However... He's ultimately right. Being new to this forum, I am a wild card. One post isn't really enough to build a solid opinion on me unless I say something absolutely fantastic that warrants further scrutiny.

One post isn't enough to build an opinion, so you ask her about her opinion of you as an RVS question.  Now that's just talented.

That... and questions like these can be used to either look for a slip-up or a sign to confirm your opinion on who is who. Or... change opinions.

Noncommital and vague; you could say any question serves that purpose.  What, specifically, were you going to do with any information you got from the range of expected answers?

For instance, I am now going to go out on a limb and say that Lenglon is a townie. He answered the question much too frankly to be a piece of scum. But time will tell if this opinion will change.

Buddying, softballing, and... noncommital.  If you say someone is a townie, then you should mean it.  It's fine to say "I think she's a townie, because X Y and Z," but "She is town.  I may change my opinion later" is just absurd.

Seriously?  "This is what I think of birdy from his single post" is enough to make you think that she's town?  What would it take to make you think that someone is scum?

Also... didn't you play in Not-So-Beginner's Mafia 3 a few years back?  I think I replaced in for you.  You were playing scum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 51