Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100112 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #285 on: May 23, 2013, 12:12:49 am »

1)Although most of those were short silly posts, If you look at the timestamps and spacing, each day you had about 5 hours of activity on the forums, probably more. I am still not convinced you have a valid excuse for not being active here.

2)There is nothing wrong with questioning multiple people at the same time, just because we're all waiting on Dem doesn't mean you have good cause to not question anyone else. Since you are running out of questions to ask most of us, may I suggest that you question Ford? he is actively asking to be questioned, and nobody has a good read on him at this time. If you can't assemble a case on someone that is already being questioned, then helping us all get a read of the others would be a good use of your time and energy. Birdy is also a good person to be questioning right now for similar reasons.

3)That is a reasonable justification, but it leaves unchanged the fact that there is little text in what posts you have made for me to judge you by. I honestly don't think you have a reasonable way to defend against this, and as I said initially, it's not a scumtell in of itself. It just makes it more difficult to read you.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 23, 2013, 12:15:47 am »

Really quick post. Like, super fast. Just want to point out specifically to you ranger (others have done it too however). You make the excuse of not posting content because you are waiting for someone else. This really sounds like an excuse because you can go after other people as well

Ford- Why are you waiting for questions. Why aren't you trying to pressure anyone. Seems a bit fishy~ >)))>      <--(This is a fish)

(Also note that I wrote this before I pressed preview and saw Lenglon's post. Her's had very similar points to mine it seems.)
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 23, 2013, 12:34:37 am »

Shinigami: A quicker way to show this is PPE (pre-post edit)

Lenglon: 1. Neither am i really. I'm a lazy person who loves to procrastinate. When all the activity starts to die down, i just kinda shutdown. Enough of this though, moving on.

Ford: I know you life is kinda busy but you really should have been able to, at the very least, gone and remade the regurgitated post of weird. You seem to be putting more time into Great Temple and earlier Elements than here. Why? And could you give us your top scum and town picks so far if you don't have a full list of reads?

Birdy: Welcome to the chaos! I'd like to ask you a few questions so please be patient with me. How much experiance do you have playing mafia, what would your prefered town and mafia roles be in this set-up, who are your top three suspects currently, and do you want a cookie?

MOD: I think you may want to contact borno and see if he wants to replace Demdemeh. At this point, if he does show up, i feel he'll ask for a replacement anyway.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 23, 2013, 12:58:27 am »

"Chess, as in reality, survives on the wits of people. The more you think, the more you hope to lose."

Vote standings:

• RangerCado(2) - Shinigami_King, Lenglon
  • Griffionday(0) -
  • Lenglon(0) -
  • Cheesecake(1) - Vector
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • Demdemeh(2) - griffinpup, Captain Ford,
  • Shinigami_King(2) - Demdemeh, Griffionday
  • Vector(0) -
  • Captain Ford(0) -
  • Not Voting(2) - birdy51, RangerCado

birdy51 has replaced Cheesecake!

Day 1 has begun and will end at May 25, 2013 [Saturday] May 27, 2013. [Monday] 9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 5 [RangerCado ; Vector ; Griffionday ; Captain Ford ; griffinpup ; Lenglon|| Shinigami_King]
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

The Game has been Extended.

"Oh come on!"

The voice is loud enough to interrupt the sweet banter of the round table for quite a few seconds.

"We had a deal on this."
"A stalemate is invariably apparent."
"That's my point. This should be an either, or. Not a mutual draw."

Several chess pieces who were still 'alive' scowled at the hinted thought.

"Reset the game."
"I'm afraid I cannot do that, my lady."
"And why not?"
"The losses have been far too exponential to anything gained. We will have to deal with this in a more practical route."
"I'm listening."
"Midgame. Two Bishops, Three Pawns. One King."
"Against your One Rook and infantry, huh. So be it."

She glances your way, and gestures to continue on.

"This may take a while..."

The rubble of chess pieces animate back from their still life. Glyphs etched into their stony hide now present themselves until their bodies are full again.

They ready their battle stances, and the game is rejoined.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Extend.

Just attended graduation and finished moving out, am finishing paper, will be celebrating tonight.
Yay graduation :D

Celebrate well!

Um... I have never purposely put spoilers in any post ever?  (Besides this one)  Are you sure this is to me?  If so, I'm quite confused.  If someone could clarify this, that would be great.
I think that's it for questions addressed to me.
Yeah that was for Shinigami's post a bit above mine there...oops.

MOD: I think you may want to contact borno and see if he wants to replace Demdemeh. At this point, if he does show up, i feel he'll ask for a replacement anyway.
...Its only been ~11 hours since his prod.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 02:05:44 am by Tiruin »

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 23, 2013, 01:03:28 am »

he hasn't even been online the entire time however. Coming up on 2 days in the morning. Speaking of which, i'm going to get some sleep. Ciao.
[/quote]

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 23, 2013, 11:18:42 am »

I'm trying to work right now but I just remembered something from the very beginning of this. It has no point really. I was just curious if anyone's flavor text confused them. (When given your alignment/Role if you got one. Also take note that this is not role fishing and is a question directed purely at flavor text and nothing else.) When I received my alignment the flavor made me think I had some awesome bad ass ability that really doesn't belong in a BM. I got all exited and then got let down. It was just a little bit sad. :'(
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 23, 2013, 02:44:33 pm »

Pup: ...I'm lost for words. Thats actually a very well made case on Shinigami. The one odd thing though is you didn't switch your vote to him. Why?
Quick post at school.  I didn't put my vote on him YET because I want to hear his response before doing so.  Part of the reason is that I wanted to leave my vote on Demdemeh until he answers, but that looks likes an increasingly futile pursuit.

Captain Ford

• Bay Watcher
  • Eating dragons has some side effects...
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:59 pm »

Birdy:
Cheesecake: Are you scum? Why or why not?
Of course not!  Why?

I'm not the scum, because somebody else is scum! It's logic my dear fellow!
You might be surprised how many people get that question wrong. It was a good question for players like Cheesecake because it tends to get a confused reply that reveals something about their thought process. It's also an excellent opportunity to educate players that situations that seem complicated often aren't.

Shinigami:
Ford- Why are you waiting for questions. Why aren't you trying to pressure anyone. Seems a bit fishy~ >)))>      <--(This is a fish)
I think I just pressured two people out of the game. :(

But seriously, I exerted pressure on Dem and then was left awkwardly hanging when he disappeared. I do hope he comes back, but if he doesn't, I feel comfortable lynching him since I know he came back and at least saw what I had to say before he vanished.

I've looked over everyone's posts and addressed the things that leapt out at me.

Ranger:
Pup: ...I'm lost for words. Thats actually a very well made case on Shinigami. The one odd thing though is you didn't switch your vote to him. Why?
That's interesting. My impression of that case is that pup was primarily calling out Shinigami for being inconsistent between his detailed reads and his list. What about that makes him scummy enough to vote?

Ford: I know you life is kinda busy but you really should have been able to, at the very least, gone and remade the regurgitated post of weird. You seem to be putting more time into Great Temple and earlier Elements than here. Why? And could you give us your top scum and town picks so far if you don't have a full list of reads?
That post is pretty much fine the way it is, now that I look at it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that the way I said "nobody's asked me more questions" made me sound like I was using that as an excuse, which I'm not. Questions are a surefire way of getting me to respond, though (and it takes ten times as long for me to come up with the same material when I'm not given a hook to respond to).

I'm definitely guilty of putting more time into the Great Temple, but it's not easy to get a game like that out of your head once your brain has started working on it.

Demdemeh- Scum, at least until I see a response. He was opportunistic and passive, taking an opportunity to direct attention away from himself and gather information about the opinions of a townie. I've not seen anything yet to warrant changing my vote to anyone else.
Lenglon - Kind of scummy. Responded poorly to pressure, flailing by her own admission. I don't see much that makes her scummy, though.
Shinigami - Refuge in Audacity? Maybe. But I don't think so. His flipping out was pretty genuine. Granted, it doesn't make him town. Still a strong town read.

...and I've spent two hours trying to add to this list of reads. I think I really ought to just get more posts out there.
...Holy shit. Ford, you get the Official Medal of Epic Awesomeness.
Its official! Ford! You need to put it in your sig now! "Official Mafia Welcomer!"

Demdemeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 23, 2013, 04:10:32 pm »

I offer my deepest apologies to all for having vanished for so long. I had a sudden, dramatic, and unexpected change in my work schedule for the week on top of a surprise visit from my mother in law, and have only now had the time to sit down and get back to this. I do not wish for a replacement at this time, and will not let this happen again without finding some time to at least squeeze in a “hey there” post.

Demdemeh: At the start of the day you seemed to be leaning town for me, until this started. You've been confusing whos who twice now, Edited a quote without out stating so until called out on it, and have done little in hunting players. What are your current reads, why should you not be lynched, and why do you keep confusing players? (Rant over)

Demdemeh- Scum. Hasn't done much to contribute or hunt, keeps confusing whos saying what, edited a quote without giving a reason or pointing out what he edited. Weak vote on Shinigami which he has done almost nothing with.

I still think that Shinigami's outburst at the beginning of the game makes him a very strong candidate for scum. He also protests being linked to Lenglon, who still hasn't fought his way out of the scumlight, a bit strongly, and has shown a habit of tossing his vote around haphazardly. He also seems to be continually deliberately delaying placing any amount of pressure on anyone, not claiming distraction from work or other obligations, but just because he doesn't want to push hard.

I have failed in more technical aspects so far because I am far more often a forum lurker than poster in any context, and this level of focused activity in this sort of environment is fairly new to me. I will endeavor to be more correct in the future, however.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 23, 2013, 04:35:57 pm »

You sound a little stiff, Demdemeh.

Why is it Shinigami's outburst, and not Lenglon's, that strikes you as scummy?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 23, 2013, 04:44:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good questions... Good questions.

To the first question, I reply very little. I am almost an absolute novice at Mafia. I say almost, as I did participate in a mass game of Werewolf a while back. So, I understand some of the basic principle, but not much of the finer points of the game.

Now, prefered town role! In this case, with me being such a new player, the role of the Townie is well suited for me. I am uncertain of my ability to judge the character of others, which is vital to being the Jailer and the Cop. Then, if I die following a lead, I am ultimately hurting the Town. A Townie is expendable. Power Roles are not.

For the Mafia roles however, I would be fine with either the Vanilla Scum. Because scum share communication, it ultimately will be that both me and my scumbuddy to decide who to spy on anyways. However, since he is the more important role, I can take the fall if he gets caught out. Once again, I don't mind being bussed if there is a good reason behind it.

Now... The last question is a bit trickier...

Well... Shingami has already caught my eye, mostly due to his earlier outburst. However, it could be just as others have said, he was just a bit hot-headed. So to be perfectly honest, he's just a name on a list right now.

Lenglon also strikes me as suspicious, but for reasons different from other arguments that have been made. This is more of a mutual distrust issue than anything. Certainly there would be some little nugget from my post to swing me in either direction... I suppose I will ask a question in return... Lenglon, be a bit more detailed on what you think of me. Don't be shy about it.

Now my good man, I must admit that I am quite suspicious of you, on account of the nature of your questions directed toward me. Yes you. You are the third and final on my top three. Your choice of questions interests me greatly...I believe you are sizing me up.

First thing you ask is how experienced I am in Mafia. It think what you really want to ask is, how much of a threat are you Birdy? Have you played the game before, or are you a complete silly-nanny who came to this forum on a whim? The first question you asked me as an RVS follows the same general principle... How well do you know both the game and it's players?

The second question, asks more about the kind of playstyle I have adopted. Do I enjoy being tricky and crafty, or do I prefer a more passive approach? Am I a good little townie or perhaps something more devious?

Finally, who do I suspect... The reads I give are a reflection of who I am. If I follow the same general ideas as others, I may come across gullible or naive. Do I trust this player or that player?

At the end of the day, you seem very intent on getting a solid read on me, just as you are trying to get a solid read on Demdemeh. You've said it yourself that you would question him if you would just simply given the chance to. However, you don't ask the one question that I would be burning to ask, "Why did Cheesecake panic and leave?" To be perfectly honest, his behaviour was sketchy. The fact that you didn't ask that question leaves me a bit suspicious, especially give that you seem to be rather throughough in your investigation otherwise.

Perhaps it doesn't matter because you already know I'm not scum... Is this true RangerCado?

Birdy does not want your cookies. Birdy wants answers.

... And more questions. Questions please me!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 23, 2013, 04:51:57 pm »

I suppose I will ask a question in return... Lenglon, be a bit more detailed on what you think of me. Don't be shy about it.

Birdy, what information do you think you'll get out of this question?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 23, 2013, 05:31:49 pm »

I'm going to ask a few questions to various people.

Lenglon:  I want tho know what you think about Shinigami putting you at the bottom of the scum list.  He called you scummy, but not why.  Do you find this suspicious in any way?  What about your weak-sauce attempt at pressuring Shinigami?  Do you honestly believe that Shini cracks after someone questions him in a matter of semantics?  Do you plan on buddying with him for the rest of the game?  Will you start acting independently eventually?  I ask this because you guys have generally been pressuring the same people.  First Vector, of course, then you both questioned Day, ( I admit that this isn't as apparent as the others, but I still believe that this pertains), then you vote RangerCado right after Shinigami does so.  I'm not necessarily accusing you of BOTH being scum, but I don't want you guys blinded by past relationships when someone brings up a good case on the other.

Vector  Are you still trying to clean up the newbiness? :P Your posts have been quite short.

Demdemeh:  I still believe my prior post towards you is still applicable.  When you get some time please answer it.  Thanks!

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 23, 2013, 05:40:54 pm »

I come home from a funeral only to find what feels like a band wagon taking shape.

Ford: It would have been a pressure vote in my mind more than anything really. Not sure why i was amazed by his case actually... probably sleep deprivation.

Birdy: Its strange to me that that is what you find me scummy for. It is true i was trying to see a bit of how much a threat you might be, but asking how much experiance you have is a question both sides can ask for that reason though. It also gives me an idea of what mistakes you might make that can be taken as newbish rather than a scum slip-up. Preferred town role was an RVS question i asked someone else (Pup i believe) at the beginning of the game and thought to use it again as its a very good question to help build a read on someone. As for the question for your reads, its useful to know. I am not the only one in this game to ask a player for their reads, and seeing why you find a player scummy can determine whether i should pursue a certain line of questioning. I have no idea if your mafia or not, and the only way to find that out is to lynch you so your role flips, or inspect you during the night if i were the cop. (a mass game of werewolves is also how i learned about mafia too! I was in a large group who'd just missed our ferry back home so someone taught us how to play for a couple hours. good times)

Everyone: Who else would have asked similar questions of Birdy if i hadn't?

Shinigami: Uhh, that question seems like one you would PM the Mod about, because this just makes me think you have one of the games power roles. And if i noticed this, others probably have as well.

Demdemeh: Please answer all the questions people have given to you.
[/quote]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 23, 2013, 05:43:07 pm »

We'll see.  Don't worry so much about post length, worry about post direction.

Everyone: Who else would have asked similar questions of Birdy if i hadn't?

This looks like you're just trying to defend yourself by passing to group authority rather than paying attention to the folks who are hunting you.  You shouldn't do it.

Better thing to do, if you think you're being bandwagoned, is demand that everyone voting you rejustify their vote.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 51