Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 51

Author Topic: BM XLI: On Wings of Haven -- Scum Victory!  (Read 100145 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: BM XLI: Day 1, To Kill a Mockingbird
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2013, 08:48:55 pm »

Day: first, please clarify:
I've cut down on the volume of my posts, trying to compensate in volume.
What is this supposed to mean? You have me pretty thoroughly confused.
This leads into the other issue I'm having; I find tunneling addicting.  I know that when I start a tunnel I will not easily be able to stop... and I'm no ToonyMan.
I dont know Toony's meta, could you please explain this as well?

Day: And second, please JUSTIFY:
And the fact that I've had 8 solid hours of sleep since the weekend has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I'm being boring.
not boring, bored. you dont seem excited about hunting.

nothing scummy and no real pressure are not opposite. pushing someone hard enough they start to break usually requires making yourself slightly scummy in the process. as I said before, look at vector's push against me.
Yes they are.  If someone is not using real pressure then that is a scum tell: obviously they don't care about their vote.  And in case you hadn't noticed I disagree that Vector's pressure on you early game paints her as scum; why do you seem to think it did?
If you think this, then why were your questions repeats? if you cared then wouldn't you have questions of your own to ask?

And the reasons I found it slightly scummy were listed in plain view when I confronted her on it. Considering that you attacked me for it at the time, I figured you'd remember it. Or did your memory disappear with your sleep?
and of COURSE i'm focusing harder on the negative cases. my goal is to locate scum, not to blind myself to the potential for someone to not be town. Positive cases matter a hell of a lot more when there's fewer players. earlygame like this you arn't going to be able to find scum by process of elimination, so why are you wasting time and generating "noise" even bothering to make them in the first place? save it for when it matters if you're so worried about "noise" generation.
You're presupposing a LOT about what I do with my town cases.  For one thing; why do you think I told them out loud?
I'm sorry, apparently you didn't read the part where I said I didn't think they were worth anything and wasn't paying much attention to them. that's odd, considering that you QUOTED ME SAYING THAT.

Still, you did ask a question, I might as well take a guess, how about... to look like a fair and active mediator, hell, you might as well be trying to moonlight as an IC. or maybe you were just adding some static and white noise to the conversation you scum.
Oh and one thing:
vector pressed me hard enough to put herself at risk, shinigami took risks defending me, I'm at risk pretty much no matter what I do at this point, Pup is slightly overextending as well. even Dem is taking more risks than you. the only people who arn't taking risks right now are you, captain, ranger, and cheesecake. of the four of you, you're the most active, and the one who spoke of the thrill of the hunt. hypocrite.
So you're "at risk pretty much no matter what I do at this point"...
You damn yourself with your own words:
the alternative situation you yourself presented, where you would get your excitement, would be being the hunted, the prey, where every action and inaction is a risk in of itself.
Haha, first of all, you were the one who said that in the first place, not me. I was simply parapharsing this little gem from you, which you quietly hid the first time I brought it up, hoping to hide the obvious message inside:
For me the draw of mafia is mostly the social aspect.  It's an interesting experience as you can't very well expect to win if you come into a game with notions of who must be scum (with the exception of wuba) but on the other hand you have to judge people.  I love the fight to determine who is scum and then to convince everyone else that you have a valid target.  On the other hand I could see being mafia being an interesting challenge, having to keep yourself invisible, while at the same time trying to manipulate other people into agreeing with you...  I could see that being equally as exciting as the hunt.
secondly, have you even been looking at the scumreads people are listing? I figure i'm going to be a lynch target either today or tomorrow. I'd like it to be tomorrow so I can be here long enough to learn something, but in any case I need to do what hunting I can, while I can.

and seriously, the was one weak-ass OMGUS you tried there. Try harder next time.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 21, 2013, 08:52:13 pm »

Excuse me, but what are you, yourself doing right now?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 21, 2013, 08:57:40 pm »

I really think people should spell Griffionday as either Griff/Griffy or whatever else differentiates him from Griffinpup :P

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 21, 2013, 09:04:57 pm »

I think you're saying i'm OMGUSing... didn't I start this fight in the first place? I'm confused.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 21, 2013, 09:36:06 pm »

What I'm saying is that I think that both of you should back off a bit and rethink your cases.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 21, 2013, 09:43:41 pm »

Tiruin:
I really think people should spell Griffionday as either Griff/Griffy or whatever else differentiates him from Griffinpup :P
I think I'll take "Griffy" if everyone is alright with that.

Lenglon
Day: first, please clarify:
I've cut down on the volume of my posts, trying to compensate in volume.

What is this supposed to mean? You have me pretty thoroughly confused.
Right, I meant cut down quantity of my post, and try to increase volume.

This leads into the other issue I'm having; I find tunneling addicting.  I know that when I start a tunnel I will not easily be able to stop... and I'm no ToonyMan.
I dont know Toony's meta, could you please explain this as well?
I was specifically referring to the Toony tunnel (which he does not do anymore) that involved picking a random player and then just tunneling them into the ground.

And the fact that I've had 8 solid hours of sleep since the weekend has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I'm being boring.
not boring, bored. you dont seem excited about hunting.
Sorry that was unclear of me.  I was counting Sunday night as well... I'm at around 4 hrs per night.

If you think this, then why were your questions repeats? if you cared then wouldn't you have questions of your own to ask?

And the reasons I found it slightly scummy were listed in plain view when I confronted her on it. Considering that you attacked me for it at the time, I figured you'd remember it. Or did your memory disappear with your sleep?
*cough*

Yes actually: I have NO recollection of pressing you on the fact that you found Vector scummy.  My post history seems to agree with me on this point.  I DID however press Shinigami on this; are you sure that's not seeping over from the two of your conversations on scum chat? 

I figure i'm going to be a lynch target either today or tomorrow. I'd like it to be tomorrow so I can be here long enough to learn something, but in any case I need to do what hunting I can, while I can.

and seriously, the was one weak-ass OMGUS you tried there. Try harder next time.
Flailing isn't helping town; and the fact that you've pressed NOBODY about their reads on you and just let them hang over you doesn't do much for your case as town.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2013, 09:51:31 pm »

Fine
Unvote
i'll take a break and just chill for a day or so, i'm not afraid of reading pages of text, so feel free to keep going full steam without me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 21, 2013, 10:24:39 pm »

Fine
Unvote
i'll take a break and just chill for a day or so, i'm not afraid of reading pages of text, so feel free to keep going full steam without me.

>_>

Is there some reason why you don't want to scumhunt?

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2013, 11:11:08 pm »

Fine
Unvote
Did you just take a suggestion to reevaluate your argument as a free pass for not doing anything more in day one?  You realize we only have "a day or so" before we have to place our final votes. 

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2013, 11:28:41 pm »

Sorry~ No time what so ever today~
I'm just going to address a few things here that have been in the back of my mind all day. First some reposnses. (Maybe a bit over due.)
Quote from: Vector on Today at 08:52:13 pm
I think you're saying i'm OMGUSing... didn't I start this fight in the first place? I'm confused.
Can I have a deffinition of the term. I thought to omgus you had to vote for the person voting you, without having a strong reason.(?) Also, I didn't even notice but yes, I do appear to omgus, or if my understanding is right, at least vote for people voting me. I would have to say that the reason for this is that when someone attacks me they grab my attention so I notice more flaws from them specifically.

Vector, long, long ago you asked how saying that you played like scum would benefit your game. I have no idea where that post is, very early game though. It is an excuse to play like scum with a bit of a cover up, you simply say that "oh, this is just how I play" and pretend like nothing is wrong.

I have been asked multiple times about "me expecting vector to change her style". I just figured that Vector is skilled in the game so she may be able to adjust her style to benefit our newb-ish play. I only originally thought this because I thought her play disturbed everyone.

When I say active lurking to you guys I am saying that you have posted multiple times but almost everything said was void of content. That is active lurking, isn't it? Or am I mistaken again? Anyway, the only person I can really attack for active lurking now is Ranger. (Unvote by the way.) Your last posts added nothing that wasn't said before. Here they are in case you want to review it easily.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. Everyone had already attacked cheese for the same reasons. This added nothing and was redundant.
2. This addressed a game that happened in the past. Also you are wrong, look at the scum chat and borno's case for more details if you really care.
3.Everyone has mentioned demdemeh and these dumb mistakes. You are repeating previous comments. (I haven't discussed Demdem because I am thinking of other people)
4.Your reads stated almost the exact same as everyone else's reads/ comments. Are you even trying?
5.You used ciao. Something that I mentioned I try to use to make myself seem personable and human. Are you attempting to look friendly. Possibly joining everyone's bandwaggon to buddying.
6. post after post. There is so much activity here you can't use the "We have no leads, almost no information, all we have to go on are gut feelings and major slips ups". Everyone has shown suspicious activity. (See my reads below.)
7. Right here. "Hypocrisy is also not a scum tell unless its very specific situation." Please just keep this statement in mind. (Trying to cover your steps Mr. Cado?
8.I already addressed the buddying thing. Here we see that you are attacking people for buddying, something that you seem to be leaning towards.
9."(I don't care if this sounds like buddying or looks like i need direction, i've already laid down my reads and active hunting players are better than non-active ones.)" Buddying for one, I've already adressed your cr*ppy reads and this would be a good way to find out who to taget and how to behave.
10. You still have not posted much at all in comparison to us other players. Don't try hidding. We will find you.

I would also like to address the fact that you told me IRL that you have a tonne of spare time which is why you are going throught that Persona 4 Let's Play so fast. In other words you pretty much admitted you have tonnes of time to spend here helping scumhunt.

Reads- Okay~ here we go. This is a unique read post compared to others that I have seen.

Everyone looks pretty scummy.
Vector- you may just be covering your footsteps. Your original onslaught died out and now you are just playing. It may be because you wanted to look like you were a strong towny right off the bat. Your response?
Ranger- Well, just look. I've set out a case above so just help yourself if you are interested.
Lenglon- Scummy but probably suspected less than everyone else (except ford, he is special. See below.) I was thinking of attacking you just to see if you would slip up and look any scummier but you seem less of a concern. Besides, you are good at scumhunting so you can stir up the "civilians". Man, I like using that word in mafia don't I?
Captain Ford- Null. That's about it.... Moving on~
Cheesecake/replacement- scum? That slip up was stupid. It could be a sign of really bad scum or scum trying to create wifom. I'm going to wait patiently for their replacement.
Demdem- Slight scum. Where did you do? I don't remember much about your play seeing as you have been MIA, but I don't remember your case being strong at all.
"Griffy"- People other than me, seem to be taking notice of your slightly scummy actions though you don't seem prone to slip up. (I like that new title by the way. Just roles off the tongue. :P
Pup- Scumier than Griffy and less so than Ranger. I still say you are scummy simply because I find the habits in your play style odd. But this goes back to the town etiquette that griffy mentioned so I am just going to stand back and watch you. Don't know what to properly make of you.

In short. Everyone is scummy except Ford who is null. I would say scum ranks are in this order.
Ranger
Pup (position interchangeable with griffy)
Griffy (position interchangeable with pup)
Demdem
Vector
Cheesecake
Lenglon
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2013, 11:50:25 pm »

Pup- Scumier than Griffy and less so than Ranger. I still say you are scummy simply because I find the habits in your play style odd. But this goes back to the town etiquette that griffy mentioned so I am just going to stand back and watch you. Don't know what to properly make of you.
What habits in my play style do you find odd?  Not that I'll fix them of course,  ;) I just want to know.  Also... How many Mafia games have you played?  Enough to distinguish odd play, or is that just the way you describe a type of play that you didn't experience in your large collection of games under your belt?

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2013, 11:54:06 pm »

Also,
Pup- Scumier than Griffy and less so than Ranger. I still say you are scummy simply because I find the habits in your play style odd.
I wasn't aware you had any opinion on me, much less one of me being scummy.  To my knowledge, you never stated one.  If quote when you stated your opinion on my 'odd' behavior, i'd love to look at it.

Sorry for these short posts guys.  Got RL, so are hurrying them out tonight.

Shinigami_King

• Bay Watcher
  • My flavor text tastes like apples!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 21, 2013, 11:58:41 pm »

Odd being I don't know how to class you. You seem to be nice to everyone and you don't pick sides. At the same time you seem to actively scumhunt. It gives me a vibe of a well played scum. For anyone curious I have played the last half of the last BM, I am taking part in this game and the Minecraft mafia (but that doesn't even count. Everyone here should go look at it because it is ridiculous.) I have read two of the toon mafias (V and VI, I believe) due to the fact that I am going to be taking part in toon mafia VII. That's all my experience though so there you go.

Also I never stated it before. Like I said. I'll be watching you.
"When the first living thing existed, I was there waiting. When the last living thing dies, my job will be finished. I'll put the chairs on the tables, turn out the lights and lock the universe behind me when I leave"
"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey. One is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, cherished by those who bid him farewell."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 22, 2013, 12:02:12 am »

Vote standings:

• RangerCado(1) - Shinigami_King
  • Griffionday(0) -
  • Lenglon(0) -
  • Cheesecake(1) - Vector
  • griffinpup(0) -
  • Demdemeh(3) - griffinpup, Captain Ford, RangerCado
  • Shinigami_King(2) - Demdemeh, Griffionday
  • Vector(0) -
  • Captain Ford(0) -
  • Not Voting(2) - Cheesecake, Lenglon

Cheesecake has requested a replacement. I have PM'd birdy51.

Day 1 has begun and will end at May 23, 2013 [Thursday]  9:00 pm [GMT//UTC +8]

Extension requests: 0
Shorten requests: 0

4 votes needed to extend the day
5 votes needed to shorten the day

Praise be, for Think's LurkerTracker!

You can hear nothing else but your own heartbeat.

That, and the noise of wind passing through the skylights and windows, into the room, and the arguments presenting themselves. Cheesecake could be seen staring out onto the vast expanse of coastline, sea and rocky cliff from far below the Aerie--out the window.

Weird. It seems the chessplayer seems to be staring at one spot for quite some time now.

"Ok, now I'm pretty sure its your move."

Shinigami: Meant to address this earlier. Deathsword never actually used his IC voice to influence you guys last game. He made comments that an IC might make, but never used Brackets {} () to show that they were as unbiased as possible. You all ended up tricking yourselves with that.
I'm stating this too--all ICs who have used their IC voice did not abuse it in the way that their advice (in those boundary-symbols) was biased.

Also, if any of these exist: Mod does not like people voting in Spoiler text or in quotes--it must be visible :I

Mod also would like to prod Griffinpup on his formatting as most questions are in unlabelled spoilers
Code: [Select]
Which can be labelled like:

[spoiler=This is a spoiler with a name]And inside it are your words[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:09:29 am by Tiruin »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 22, 2013, 12:12:38 am »

There's something you don't seem to understand, which is that changing my style is not going to benefit you.  My job is to show you how to play a particular kind of game.  I haven't even brought up the psychological pressure to 25%--I've been letting a lot of things go because I want you to feel nervous, but not that nervous.  Once again, for the last friggin' time: I know what I'm doing, and you need to be able to handle at least this much.  I already have adjusted my play.  Any more and you wouldn't have learned the lesson you needed to know.

As for why I've been moving back a little, I opened the day strong so that you'd be able to see how things should be done, and now I'm working on cleaning up folks' play so that you'll be able to make a good showing for the rest of the game.  Hopefully this cleanup phase will close a bit before deadline, and then I'll be able to go back to being more active.

By most folks' standards, FYI, what I'm doing right now would not be called "playing."  It'd be called "being passive" or "active-lurking."  But unfortunately, it's a necessary evil at this stage.

Tiruin: have you tried PMing around looking for a replacement?  I think Borno wanted in...

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 51