Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4169561 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack
« Reply #3855 on: August 14, 2016, 03:41:39 pm »

Could it have been http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#job ? If not, do you remember any specific text on that screen?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Qev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: August 14, 2016, 08:17:14 pm »

Could it have been http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#job ? If not, do you remember any specific text on that screen?
Sadly, I just kinda looked at the options that were available and went, "neat! I'll play with that more later..." and now I'm not even sure it was real. :P  I don't remember any specific text from the screen, just that I accessed it from the regular view because I noticed a new DFHackish keybind being displayed in the right panel.  That and one of the options was a way of setting general limits on the quality of objects to be decorated, etc.

I'm going to feel really dumb if it turns out I just dreamed this.  :-[

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: August 15, 2016, 12:05:14 am »

SoundSense is currently borked WRT LNP: it plays duplicates over the top of each other

The issue can be solved by modifying Soundsense configuration file : in current version it calls gamelog.txt twice, as principal and supplemental log :

<gamelog path="..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\gamelog.txt" encoding="Cp850"/>
-<supplementalLogs>
<item path="..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\gamelog.txt" encoding="Cp850"/>
</supplementalLogs>
, which seems to explain the duplicate sounds. In older versions the target for "supplemental log" was different :
<gamelog path="..\..\..\Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03\gamelog.txt" encoding="Cp850"/>
-<supplementalLogs>
<item path="${gameBaseDir}/ss_fix.log"/>
</supplementalLogs>

I just copy-pasted the relevant lines from an older starter pack and it worked just fine.
Any reason this was changed ?

Im having the same issue, and i found the text you were talking about, what exactly would i change in this? (because i dont have access to an older versions files)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: August 15, 2016, 12:11:23 am »

You don't want it to look like that top one. You want it to look like the bottom one. There may be more to fix than that, though. I think it should be fixed in the latest r4 version if that change doesn't fix it.

Mathalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: August 15, 2016, 02:15:00 am »

Is 43.04 the last 32 bit version?

Will there be a starter pack for 43.04, or will you skip over it?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: August 15, 2016, 02:35:22 am »

Is 43.04 the last 32 bit version?

Will there be a starter pack for 43.04, or will you skip over it?

43.04 is the last version without a 64bit edition - Toady will release new versions as both 32bit and 64bit for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably skip it though, just as DFHack will.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

argh226

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: August 15, 2016, 07:03:44 am »

I’m actually using the latest version without any add-on/pack and oh boy!  I know why I use them and how valuable they are.  They save me huge amount of time.  Not easy to figure out which dwarf was assigned to which task.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: August 17, 2016, 09:46:55 pm »

I’m actually using the latest version without any add-on/pack and oh boy!  I know why I use them and how valuable they are.  They save me huge amount of time.  Not easy to figure out which dwarf was assigned to which task.

Yeah, that's why I'm holding off on playing until the LNP has caught up. I love the game, but without utilities it becomes a nightmare to manage more than a couple dozen dwarves. Out of curiosity, is the change to 64-bit noticeably faster in terms of FPS, worldgen speed, etc. compared to the 32-bit version?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: August 17, 2016, 11:08:56 pm »

Why wait?  A new release of DF doesn't magically make the current Starter pack any worse!

64bit appears to have a number of small performance improvements, but nothing truly major.  Avoiding the occasional crash due to memory exhaustion is probably more important, and of course the usual new-release-bugfixes are always great.
 Donations here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: August 18, 2016, 05:11:49 am »

Indeed. Started on 42.06-r01 myself and still on it, currently doing a year in community fort :)

(though I've made few 43.05 worldgens :p)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: August 18, 2016, 10:23:58 am »

Why wait?  A new release of DF doesn't magically make the current Starter pack any worse!

64bit appears to have a number of small performance improvements, but nothing truly major.  Avoiding the occasional crash due to memory exhaustion is probably more important, and of course the usual new-release-bugfixes are always great.
Yeah, my seemingly random crashes most likely are the result of memory exhaustion.
I only got 3GB DDR3 and even 2x2 embarks crash after some time without any remarkable event as trigger.
also flat embark areas tend to be more stable than those with hills.
if i were better at building cisterns etc. i'd even embark without a river.
other than that, in your lates release, the launcher wouldn't start, so i went back to the 43.04.r03.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: August 18, 2016, 02:08:15 pm »

I've played quite a bit with the current starter pack. I'm just saying that I won't try the latest release until the LNP has made the transition. Also, I'm planning on upgrading my computer in the next month or so, which will hopefully improve DF's performance in addition to being better for other games.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:08 pm »

I've played quite a bit with the current starter pack. I'm just saying that I won't try the latest release until the LNP has made the transition. Also, I'm planning on upgrading my computer in the next month or so, which will hopefully improve DF's performance in addition to being better for other games.

Ah, sorry - I get a lot of people who put off playing DF at all if the Starter Pack is at all behind DF  :-\

For DF, memory access latency is king so make sure your RAM is fast DDR4 and your CPU is a most-recent-gen i5 or i7 with large cache.
 Donations here.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: August 18, 2016, 08:28:28 pm »

I think the Broadwell i7-5775C with its 6 MB L3 cache and 128 MB L4 cache would be a great choice for a CPU for Dwarf Fortress.

Salkryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Pining for the fnords.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: August 19, 2016, 03:53:33 am »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how well a higher-end PC runs DF? Mine has trouble generating worlds any bigger than Pocket, particularly if there are large numbers of civs/beasts.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 385