Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4170119 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r3
« Reply #2310 on: February 03, 2015, 03:41:28 am »

It has absolutely nothing to do with graphics packs, it's an init setting called ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED, the behavior you're describing is "old-style" (I.E the default) and it should be an option in the launcher.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 03, 2015, 04:11:37 am »

It has absolutely nothing to do with graphics packs, it's an init setting called ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED, the behavior you're describing is "old-style" (I.E the default) and it should be an option in the launcher.

Excellent, thanks. Do you know which option exactly in the Launcher? Cannot find it. Otherwise which file do i need to change.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:13:31 am by Borge »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: February 03, 2015, 04:28:35 am »

I believe it's in d_init.txt in the data/init folder.

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: February 03, 2015, 05:17:01 am »

Whats with Phoebus graphics pack engravings showing a picture of what the engraving is. While i like the idea, it looks terrible in my opinion and makes it difficult to see. Any way to have the old style engravings?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I agree. Its usually hidden by default, no idea why this pack has them shown by default.

[ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO]
Change to YES

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: February 03, 2015, 08:29:40 am »

No, NO (i.e. not hidden) is the default.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Corambis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: February 03, 2015, 04:38:07 pm »

I use the Mayday graphics, and for some reason my new engravings (but not the old ones) started showing up in this way too. I just changed the INIT setting for them, but I haven't had a chance to see if it made a difference. I'm not sure why this happened, as it's never happened to me before. I've been going with Mayday since I first started with the tutorial a long time ago.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: February 03, 2015, 04:41:24 pm »

It has absolutely nothing to do with graphics packs

Graphics packs do not even touch the file that that setting is contained in. It has nothing to do with graphics packs and cannot have anything to do with graphics packs. It has exactly as much to do with graphics packs as autosave settings.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: February 03, 2015, 04:54:53 pm »

Some graphics packs do distribute their own copies of d_init.txt, although it's not strictly necessary to use them. The problem in this case is likely a misconfiguration in this pack which prevents certain settings from being changed when using certain graphics packs.
Anyway, ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO looks reasonable with the default tileset, which I suspect is why it's the default - with different tilesets and color schemes, it can be harder to tell the difference between engravings and the actual objects they depict.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: February 03, 2015, 05:30:58 pm »

All the pre-packaged game+graphics packs come with a version of d_init.txt which are usually slightly different from vanilla in various ways not relating to graphic settings. Flow amounts on, pet-graves off, autosave seasonal, etc. I just assumed they were the preferences whoever made the pack played with.

Simple enough to change. Well, unless you're raising newbies on Lazy Starter Packs I suppose...

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: February 03, 2015, 06:30:23 pm »

It has absolutely nothing to do with graphics packs
Graphics packs do not even touch the file that that setting is contained in. It has nothing to do with graphics packs and cannot have anything to do with graphics packs. It has exactly as much to do with graphics packs as autosave settings.
Some graphics packs do distribute their own copies of d_init.txt, although it's not strictly necessary to use them. The problem in this case is likely a misconfiguration in this pack which prevents certain settings from being changed when using certain graphics packs.
Anyway, ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED:NO looks reasonable with the default tileset, which I suspect is why it's the default - with different tilesets and color schemes, it can be harder to tell the difference between engravings and the actual objects they depict.
All the pre-packaged game+graphics packs come with a version of d_init.txt which are usually slightly different from vanilla in various ways not relating to graphic settings. Flow amounts on, pet-graves off, autosave seasonal, etc. I just assumed they were the preferences whoever made the pack played with.

Simple enough to change. Well, unless you're raising newbies on Lazy Starter Packs I suppose...

TLDR; graphics packs usually set engravings to obscured - but due the PyLNP only changes settings directly related to graphics, so the pack is still on the vanilla visible setting. 

Here's the logic:
 - Vanilla sets engravings visible.  Graphics packs set them obscured.  Starter Packs go with the latter.
 - When changing graphics packs, PyLNP only changes graphics settings (to avoid the issue with unrelated changes based on author preferences)
 - This does include d_init.txt - track and tree tiles are graphics settings.
 - It doesn't, but perhaps should, include engravings
 - Installing Phoebus graphics thus left engravings unobscured

I'll add a bit to my script to fix this, because it'll happen again otherwise.  I don't think learning with a package makes you lazy, but I do want it to be as painless as possible...
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Childeric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: February 03, 2015, 07:32:24 pm »

Some people said to me, here, it could be better to start this game without any pack, without using DF Hack, just the base game and (eventually) a graphic pack.

I thought I'll do as they said but... This game has enough complex things in it... I read about 600 pages of text, looked at tenth of hours videos since I looked into this game, a month ago... and I still have trouble to make a proper fortress (I do admit I had little time to play since 15 days anyway ;)).

This pack helped me A BUNCH... no headache trying to configure proprely things, sound in game, a few improved screen (I particularly like the Therapist like job manager in game), a few automatons and helping shorcuts (like the Ctrl+D in any workshop to duplicate)... many things coming with DF Hacks... and later when I reached 40 or more dwarves, a little of Therapist... (I don't like Autolabor so much because it do everything for you... Thing you can have with therapist optimiser too but...).

Anyway, I don't think your pack made me lazy, it just avoided I spend 10th of hours looking for guide to install and make things working correctly, time I were able to spend to actually learn the game mechanics through videos and books.

Continue your great job!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: February 03, 2015, 08:24:36 pm »

Okay, I just downloaded the pack, so please do not update for a while.  I dont wanna have to redownload it for a while.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: February 03, 2015, 10:47:05 pm »

Okay, I just downloaded the pack, so please do not update for a while.  I dont wanna have to redownload it for a while.

You're always free to delay updating for as long as you want, or skip it entirely - whatever you have will keep working. If the popup is annoying, you can set it to check for updates less often.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Hjalmar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_24 Starter Pack r2
« Reply #2323 on: February 04, 2015, 11:17:15 am »

Hi all!

After a break of two years I decided it was time finally time to play dwarf fortress again. Eagerly I downloaded the dwarf fortress 40_24 starter pack r2 but after unzipping it, I wasn´t able to launch PyLNP.exe. All i get is this error: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file".

I enabled full access for all users, executed as adminstrator and checked wether my firewall is might cause trouble. However none of these helped me solve the problem. The included current version of DF works, allready with a graphic-enhancement-mod enabled.

I was searching through the forum, but didn´t find solution - so any ideas what to do?

Many thanks & best regards

Hjalmar
Your virus scanner probably nuked the executable because it is "new" and "untrusted" by their system.  You should be able to undo the action and explicitly trust the program, but the instructions for doing so vary pretty widely across antivirus systems.

I just tested it and it now it´s working like a charm.
Many thanks!

Baleur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: February 04, 2015, 11:43:49 am »

Some people said to me, here, it could be better to start this game without any pack, without using DF Hack, just the base game and (eventually) a graphic pack.

I thought I'll do as they said but... This game has enough complex things in it... I read about 600 pages of text, looked at tenth of hours videos since I looked into this game, a month ago... and I still have trouble to make a proper fortress (I do admit I had little time to play since 15 days anyway ;)).

This pack helped me A BUNCH... no headache trying to configure proprely things, sound in game, a few improved screen (I particularly like the Therapist like job manager in game), a few automatons and helping shorcuts (like the Ctrl+D in any workshop to duplicate)... many things coming with DF Hacks... and later when I reached 40 or more dwarves, a little of Therapist... (I don't like Autolabor so much because it do everything for you... Thing you can have with therapist optimiser too but...).

Anyway, I don't think your pack made me lazy, it just avoided I spend 10th of hours looking for guide to install and make things working correctly, time I were able to spend to actually learn the game mechanics through videos and books.

Continue your great job!

You are right. Its usually a case of elitism in a cult following of a game, people who for some reason believe that using ASCII graphics in a computer game makes any difference to their worth as a human being on this tiny blue speck in the galactic ocean we inhabit..
I also, like you, spent tens of hours watching lets plays and tutorials, reading wikis and guides to actually learn the game and interface.
I can't say it was "worth it", IF the current status of DF Hack and the other great things (TextWillBeText, MultiLevel, Vein mining etc) existed then, to learn the "vanilla way".

I wish i was as lucky as new players are today. The game is in a far far far better state, more playable and accessible than ever (it is a good word, it doesnt mean that a game is an iPad game with 2 buttons). If this very pack was my first experience with Dwarf Fortress, things would have gone a lot smoother and saved me many hours of headache and confusion searching archaic threads on the forums, for info and knowledge that today is utterly useless anyway due to how the game changes (for the better).

So yes, i agree. Bloody good job that this pack exists and continued what LNP did.
There is no reason to live in the past, some things were not better before. Vanilla Dwarf Fortress certainly was not better before than it is now with all the community created features.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:51:49 am by Baleur »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 385