Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4172184 times)

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_13 Starter Pack r4
« Reply #1470 on: October 04, 2014, 11:38:53 am »

Everything is working as intended.

Definitely not. With the graphics settings as it is right now, I can barely read the text.

How it now looks on my screen with r4:

The text is not only extremely small it is also very blurry.

As comparison, this is how it looked with r3:

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 04, 2014, 12:40:33 pm »

Assuming you're using Windows, delete <DF>/hack/plugins/twbt.plug.dll.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 04, 2014, 01:10:02 pm »

@Two: and @Ladhar:
Everything is working as intended. Clue: TWBT

Thank you for the prompt reply.
I tinkered a little with the init file and now it looks like what I am used to. Your fix worked perfectly and was - as you said - quite trivial.
It still strikes me as weird though, since the screenshot i marked as '40.13 r4 - with DFhack' in my post is what the game looks like with print_mode:TWBT no matter if TTF is enabled or not.
And the 'weird symbols' actually do not show up in TTF/2D text at all but only in what you described as the screenshot with TWBT.
Anyways, for the time being I will stick with vanilla 2D text since the DFhack version is kind of hard to look at at 1920x1080 and does not upscale well at all (blurr).

Again, I really appreciate your help. Have a nice day.
Setting the printmode to 2D disables the TWBT plugin (you'll see a brief message about it when DFHack loads).  The printmodes that support TWBT are mutually exclusive with the printmodes that support TTF; both attempt to solve the same problem in very different ways.  And neither is perfect, although TWBT has the advantage that it is under active development whereas TTF has been put on a back burner.

You can try to get the best of both worlds by specifying a ginormous text font with TWBT and scaling it down.  A 16x24 or 20x30 font should handle any reasonable level of zooming.  See if mifki's fontgen utility can make something to your liking.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 04, 2014, 01:23:43 pm »

My alternate solution is to not update to R4 as this seems to be the only relevant change. ;)

However for future updates I'd love to see this resolved, as the purpose of activating this plugin can hardly be to disable it.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 04, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »

My alternate solution is to not update to R4 as this seems to be the only relevant change. ;)

However for future updates I'd love to see this resolved, as the purpose of activating this plugin can hardly be to disable it.
My advice above to Ladhar would apply to your situation as well.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: October 04, 2014, 01:38:24 pm »

Just switch to 2D, no need to delete the plugin.

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 04, 2014, 02:14:48 pm »

Again: what is the point of an update if the most reasonable thing is to revert it right away?

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 04, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »

Again: what is the point of an update if the most reasonable thing is to revert it right away?
For most people like us, the update makes the text more readable - not less. Maybe you're just used to square text and we aren't.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 04, 2014, 02:22:34 pm »

Perhaps not everybody wants to revert it.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 04, 2014, 02:27:31 pm »

Definitely not. With the graphics settings as it is right now, I can barely read the text.

The r4 one is blurry? Or the r3 one? I'm still on r2 because I did the changes r3 fixed from the fixes posted by lethosor. But none of the issues you guys are having would bother me since you guys have an issue with curses font not twbt and the font is so easy to change.

@Authority2 Is your screensize 1920x1080? I'd imagine those small fonts on a screen that size would be quite small. I can't even stand them on my screen size. The only advantage is that there's more text on the screen.

If people just delete twbt/ the pluggin they will default to the graphical_font and not use the curses text font so yeah it is a "fix" but if they just change their font tileset to be something a little more readable/ bigger they won't have that issue. Though it's not at all noob friendly.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 04, 2014, 03:07:08 pm »

Two's r4 screenshot is definitely blurry, although it appears to be the default curses font. Has anyone with these issues been able to fix them by zooming in?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 04, 2014, 05:59:04 pm »

How it now looks on my screen with r4:

As comparison, this is how it looked with r3:

Agreed, the new releases are flat out not playable.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

LeoCean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 04, 2014, 06:28:19 pm »

Is that really 40_13r3? You sure it isn't r2? R3 should be using the same font as R4 is. That small one, maybe you had changed your font tileset in r3 because it should be that small one in r3 too.

Bradeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:07 am »

Not having any blurry text issues here.

Col_Jessep

• Bay Watcher
  • ♦ Cat Herder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 05, 2014, 02:42:37 pm »

Just wanted to say that I would prefer the old font or even better, a very simple font like Arial (is that called sans serif?). The new font as really hard to read, unfortunately.
Just kids...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 385