Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4172151 times)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 40_13 Starter Pack r4
« Reply #1455 on: October 03, 2014, 04:01:46 pm »

@Psyra: The reason I hadn't encountered the issue with R3 is that I hadn't tried to turn on workflow in that version, so actually nothing strange there.

Something that DOES seem to be new with R4, however, is that I keep getting error messages for the automatically allocated render fat job:"Urist cancels Render fat: Needs 150 unrotten FAT RENDER_MAT-producing glob." and I've also gotten a similar 150 unit message when trying to produce soap (from rendered fat). 150 seems to be an awfully large number. I know I'm out of bags, if it really is an issue with a lack of target containers. It's not an issue of the fat sitting a long while before processing starts so it isn't stale.
In 0.34 a glob was a count item of no particular size, whereas in 0.40 a glob has a specific size of 150 (which happens to be the same size as a bar).  So a requirement for 150 units means one glob... but one of the underlying scripts might still be thinking that globs are count items.  If the script tries to hand 1 unit of fat to the reaction, the reaction won't happen due to insufficient reagents.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Kryxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: October 03, 2014, 04:42:16 pm »

Some constructive feedback here. 

It's 2014, I'll take my graphics.  I accepted text based games back in the 1990, when I had my 286, a single color monitor and each one was worth more than my car.

I don't see any difference between this and R3 when creating worlds.

The Starter Pack launcher looks 100% the same. It still default loads, the boring as hell, curse font with TWBT default loaded.   

This makes the main screen and the main world generation is the default using text (cursed) font.

Make 1 launcher change:  Change the font and fullfont in the init to to whatever graphic font is being used instead of text.   

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: October 03, 2014, 04:58:45 pm »

Some constructive feedback here. 

It's 2014, I'll take my graphics.  I accepted text based games back in the 1990, when I had my 286, a single color monitor and each one was worth more than my car.

I don't see any difference between this and R3 when creating worlds.

The Starter Pack launcher looks 100% the same. It still default loads, the boring as hell, curse font with TWBT default loaded.   

This makes the main screen and the main world generation is the default using text (cursed) font.

Make 1 launcher change:  Change the font and fullfont in the init to to whatever graphic font is being used instead of text.
mifki is the one developing the TWBT plugin, and he's received a number of requests to do the wide-area maps in the text font because the graphics fonts are just odd on those maps.  Other people want to have the graphics font (for familiarity if nothing else).  The end-goal is to have a third font designated for wide-area maps, so the user can choose to use text, or graphics, or a special-purpose map font.

For now, if printmode is set to TWBT then you get text-font maps, and if it is TWBT_LEGACY you get graphics-font maps.  I'm not sure what else that setting changes, if anything.  (DF itself interprets any unknown printmode as STANDARD, so nothing breaks either way.)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: October 03, 2014, 06:28:53 pm »

Both :p I'd love to know all the bugs that are fixed in the complete package I am using, specifically for now though any bugs related to goblins not bringing mounts, as I have had 3 or 4 sieges and they haven't brought anything besides trolls as of yet.

Anyone know?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: October 03, 2014, 06:38:37 pm »

I don't believe that there have ever been goblin-related bugfixes included with DFHack.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

arcane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: October 03, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »

Anyone here have experience editing dfhack.init?  I'd like to add definitions so that digFlood will only auto mine gems and ores, and ignore things like bauxite and microline.  I tried opening the thing in notepad and it was practically impossible to read due to the lack of whitespace.

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: October 03, 2014, 06:53:38 pm »

Both :p I'd love to know all the bugs that are fixed in the complete package I am using, specifically for now though any bugs related to goblins not bringing mounts, as I have had 3 or 4 sieges and they haven't brought anything besides trolls as of yet.

Anyone know?
The only bugfix in the current dfhack.init-example file is:

# make crafted cloth items wear out with time like in old versions (bug 6003)

LNP_dfhack_onLoad.init:

Spoiler: Pure Bugfixes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Performance Tweaks (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Partial Mouse Control (click to show/hide)

salithus

• Bay Watcher
  • gottagofast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: October 03, 2014, 06:57:25 pm »

Anyone here have experience editing dfhack.init?  I'd like to add definitions so that digFlood will only auto mine gems and ores, and ignore things like bauxite and microline.  I tried opening the thing in notepad and it was practically impossible to read due to the lack of whitespace.
should be plenty of whitespace D: the dfhack.init-example file has plenty of comments and space.

as far as your specific problem - have you got the commands you want worked out from the DFHack console? if so just add the line(s) to the end of dfhack.init and you should be good to go. might be worth checking out the DFHack threat too: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 04, 2014, 01:56:33 am »

@arcane:
The files are not notepad compatible, but they are e.g. wordpad compatible. So, instead of opening them in notepad, you should specify opening with wordpad or similar. There are a lot of files that aren't very usable in notepad, but work in more competent plain text editors.

Two

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: October 04, 2014, 03:51:05 am »

So I tried R4 yesterday and the graphics look all weird now (I play with Mayday). Not sure if this is how the mayday pack is supposed to look, or if something went wrong with the update.

Ladhar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: October 04, 2014, 04:07:19 am »

I've been enjoying Dwarf Fortress for some odd months now, playing with the DF Starter Pack (LNP) made by PeridexisErrant, version 40.10.
Yesterday - after throwing a tantrum about the massive bloodsplatters all over the outside of my fortress - I decided to upgrade to the latest version of 40.13 r4 which includes a working version of DFhack (which 40.1 apparently didn't).
Now DFhack did a nice job removing the red menace but I could not help but notice the fact that my text font was all kinds of screwed up.
Here is the example of version 40.10 (no DFhack, obviously)
- Standard zoom
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/Xiqeg91aQw.JPG
- Zoomed ingame
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/wvcvhUTQRY.JPG

Both look slick, clean and scale very well with zoom.

Now, here is the new version - 40.13 r4 - with DFhack
- Standard zoom
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/LUvCd8S14I.JPG
- Zoomed ingame
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/Vf25j5mhwI.JPG

The 'sandard' size is incredibly small and zooming in ingame makes it all blurry and fuzzy resulting in a nasty eyestrain.
So I tried taking DFhack out of 40.13 r4 LNP and this is the result:

Version 40.13 r4 with no DFhack
- Standard zoom
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/kAl4aCJtfE.JPG
Zommed ingame
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/moUvaHPx0X.JPG

While the zoomed-in text also gets a tad bit fuzzy this is no big deal since the normal font size is more than sufficient for enjoyable reading and nowhere near as bad as with DFhack.
I don't know about the 'underlay' of some of the text. And when viewing the stocks further it gets even more weird.
This picture shows just an example of weird icons:

http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/f637H1caSt.JPG

So here I am wondering if this is a quirk with the new DF Starter Pack version, some no-no coming from DFhack or the intended way it works.
Just to be clear: Both instances of DF Starter Pack have the same configurations and I have not messed with either ini/t filies. The only difference is the presence of DFhack.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 04, 2014, 04:36:51 am »

@Two: and @Ladhar:
Everything is working as intended. Clue: TWBT

- Standard zoom
Here is the example of version 40.10 (no DFhack, obviously)
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/Xiqeg91aQw.JPG
- Standard zoom
This picture shows just an example of weird icons:
http://www.imgbox.de/users/public/images/f637H1caSt.JPG
This is an example 2D rendering with TTF fonts -basic vanilla display. Text is displayed with truetype fonts or the tileset font, while the map is rendered with a tileset - Phoebus in this case. The weird icons are result of the incomplete ttf implemetation and the tile-reuse limitation of DF. TTF is buggy (disappearing text bug) and unfinished, this is a really looooooong standing issue. Only Toady can fix it.

- Standard zoom

And this a screenshot with the TWBT plugin. In short twbt is a plugin for dfhack that (among other features) tries to fix the above problems by using a secondary font to display text. The text tile in this case is the 8x12 ASCII tile, that's why you find it weird. TWBT is not compatible with TTF fonts, but you can use any tileset to display the text, not only the 8x12 one. A non-square font is better in any case, because it let's us display more characters than a 16x16 square one. The fuzziness is a side effect, that can be lowered with a bigger font, but cannot be fixed entirely.

That's the explanation.
The 'fix' you're looking for is trivial: switch PRINT_MODE to 2D for vanilla mode with TTF, and to TWBT for dfhack/twbt rendering for the new mode.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki
« Reply #1467 on: October 04, 2014, 04:48:51 am »

@PeridexisErrant, I'll try to finish my text tileset generator (http://www.mifki.com/df/fontgen.html) so that we'll be able to create several tilesets for people to choose from and probably also to choose something to be used by default instead of curses font, honestly I don't like it much as well (especially that you use curses_640x300 by default, even not 800x600).

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 04, 2014, 05:07:47 am »

@PeridexisErrant, I'll try to finish my text tileset generator (http://www.mifki.com/df/fontgen.html) so that we'll be able to create several tilesets for people to choose from and probably also to choose something to be used by default instead of curses font, honestly I don't like it much as well (especially that you use curses_640x300 by default, even not 800x600).

In the meantime here's a dropbox share with some text tiles.

Ladhar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 04, 2014, 06:50:19 am »

@Two: and @Ladhar:
Everything is working as intended. Clue: TWBT

Thank you for the prompt reply.
I tinkered a little with the init file and now it looks like what I am used to. Your fix worked perfectly and was - as you said - quite trivial.
It still strikes me as weird though, since the screenshot i marked as '40.13 r4 - with DFhack' in my post is what the game looks like with print_mode:TWBT no matter if TTF is enabled or not.
And the 'weird symbols' actually do not show up in TTF/2D text at all but only in what you described as the screenshot with TWBT.
Anyways, for the time being I will stick with vanilla 2D text since the DFhack version is kind of hard to look at at 1920x1080 and does not upscale well at all (blurr).

Again, I really appreciate your help. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:52:21 am by Ladhar »
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 385