Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 385

Author Topic: PeridexisErrant's DF Starter Pack  (Read 4171946 times)

Kaytavo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Pie Master
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r30)
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2013, 07:44:51 am »

seem to be unable to run the latest version due to it being unable to find files

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: seems unable to read the space in the name "Dwarf Fortress.exe"
I will try to fix it then post results should be simple enough

EDIT2: Fixed it!
I just replaced the space with an underscore instead in both the configs and the exe name

Now to strike the earth...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:53:50 am by Kaytavo »

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2013, 10:24:50 am »

seem to be unable to run the latest version due to it being unable to find files

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: seems unable to read the space in the name "Dwarf Fortress.exe"
I will try to fix it then post results should be simple enough

EDIT2: Fixed it!
I just replaced the space with an underscore instead in both the configs and the exe name

Now to strike the earth...
Looks like you are actually running my cross-platform version, so you posted in the wrong thread ;-) . This thread is the correct one.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2013, 10:43:45 am »

Yup!  I just had a quick panic that I'd posted my tester instead of the current release version, but it's all good.  'tis Dricus' cross-platform edition, and mine in still the windows one - but hopefully not for too much longer!
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Kaytavo

• Bay Watcher
  • The Pie Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2013, 12:45:02 pm »

Now I feel embarrassed.. sorry about that

Dricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »

No worries. The good news is that I've fixed the issues with directories/files with spaces in them on all platforms in the upcoming version of my launcher :).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2013, 12:32:17 pm »

Hi, I'm just reporting that sometimes DF will crash during worldgen, I'm not sure what causes it though. I'm using r28 I believe and I'm launching it from the exe itself rather than the LNP box, though I already applied the settings from the LNP UI.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:52:02 pm by smjjames »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2013, 04:35:59 pm »

Yeah, that's just DF doing its thing without regard to what your computer is capable of; worldgen crashes are known but basically not worth fixing. I'd suggest either smaller worlds / shorter history, or just putting up with it.
 Donations here.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2013, 05:08:33 pm »

It's not happening during the history phase, it seems to do that at the placing caves phase or right after it or something.

It's really just a mild annoyance, so I can put up with it.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:35 am »

I also noticed the game is less stable since I started using the Expanded LNP. Game will just crash without previous notice.

This is not to say it's the package's fault, as the random crushes only occurred twice in several days of use.

The weather is scorching hot this time of the year in the biome I live in, so it might just be that + the various fixes coming with Dfhack or something.

Or maybe it's just very usual even with vanilla DF and I was lucky not experiencing random crashes ever before.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

MisterChuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2013, 11:44:02 am »

FYI regarding crashes: whether I'm using LNP, vanilla, or Genesis, if I gen two worlds in the same session of DF I just about always get a crash since using 0.34. Likewise if my DF.exe RAM usage gets to 2GB while running a fort, crash.

The first looks like leaky memory, or something from a previous gen not getting properly purged for the second pass. My workaround is to gen a world and see if I like it. If I don't, I exit DF, delete the save folder if needed, relaunch DF, and gen a new world. No crashing.

The second is due to memory address limitations in 32-bit applications. It's largely due to embark size, but also is affected by all the stuff that kills FPS. I find I can safely run a 6x6 embark until I'm bored. Larger is iffy.
You can check by running your task manager or whatever and see how much memory the DF process uses when you embark. (ctrl-shift-esc for Windows brings it up without dealing with ctrl-alt-del and clicking around). I find if my memory usage for Dwarf Fortress.exe exceeds about 1.5GB at embark with all my usual enhancements going, I'll hit long-term crashes. Either many years in, or sooner if I have hundreds of dwarves and thousands of stones and gobbo chunks and such. YMMV on that.

Neither is strictly a LNP issue, but it can contribute. Graphics eat more memory. DFhack utilities are part of the 2GB DF.exe max, so running workflows and Soundsense and all that jazz also contributes.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2013, 01:05:40 pm »

@MisterChuck : wow tnx for all the info. I don't think my specific problem is related to any of that, mainly because DF crashed for me on 4x4 embarks and pretty early in the game even.

But that's a pletora of good info there, something well worth being shared. Big props!
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r32)
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:13 pm »

Wow.  This just broke into the ten most downloaded files ever on DFFD. 

At the time of writing, it's also top five for newest file (heh), downloads per day, file size, file rating...

A massive thanks - again - to everyone who built one of the components or helped assemble the pack:  this is more your work than mine. 

Oh, and I also just updated with the cross-platform LNP which is both newer and better.  ;-)
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Expanded LNP - a single download with everything (r33)
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2013, 05:24:59 pm »

Yep, we are about even when it comes to downloads per day. Only the original LNP is higher. And I just noticed that gap when you sort by major mods... Masterwork seems to have more downloads per day then the next 20 mods combined. ...  :o

Oh, and I think the dfterm 3 multiplayer project would be a nice addition for this pack. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:27:37 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2013, 06:18:17 pm »

I'm watching dfterm3 with a lot of interest, because I think it will be newb-friendly eventually, but it's not there yet.

The problem now is file size; if I want to add or tweak anything I'm going to have to change formats from zip to 7z or something.
 Donations here.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2013, 05:23:03 am »

Why not use a different file host? I get complaints about DFFD and its download speed, must be worse with a pack thats twice the size.

Dfterm3 is interesting, yes. But it will be quite some time before it runs really well, especially for me. Tilesets and mods and all that.

Nothing in your pack that you might delete, any duplicates?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 385