Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Artefact  (Read 1288 times)

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Artefact
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:15:52 am »

5 years, 5 stinking years and finally you have it, the discovery of a lifetime. The nearby villagers of [Insert name] spread word of this strange temple, but no-one believed it, and for some reason much of the news was covered up one way or another, people seemed to, forget about this place, curious, considering its size, its architecture, its well everything. The temple has a dark feel to it, black, completely black, a huge gate inscribed with many runes, holy ones, but not ones to bless, even the nearby statues of those legendary gods, those wanderers, had a dark feel to them, almost warning you to stay away. You shake he though away, how absurd, you [insert name] shouldn’t be scared by simple tricks and statues, o, this is the discovery of a lifetime and you won’t miss it. There were times when you doubted, doubted that maybe the job of explorer wasn’t for you, that maybe you should have gone back to your old job as a/an [insert here]. But now, now you know it was worth it.

The temple takes a while for you and your team of 12 to open, but you manage, and eagerly enter the dark depths. The more you see, the more foreboding this place seems, dark inscriptions, showing, something quite a lot, showing others kneeling before, showing fight, and all the time, the something was holding another thing, it was all dark, still time to look at that later, while the rest of your team spread out among the ruins you headed for the centre, feeling an urge to get closer, eventually you found a great door, covered with multiple runes of multiple types. And written in a language you can read thank the wanderers, was a warning, Beyond these doors darkness dwells, turn back brave soul, or be dammed forever. Never one to believe superstition, you opened the door, it was dark, except for a small shaft of light that led to, wait, it can’t be, that’s the thing that the strange recurring figure was holding, still can’t make it out, have to get closer, hold the thing, must see what it is.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Finally, after so long it would be free, this fool of a mortal would grasp it, and it would use its [insert type] powers to finally free itself and take vengeance on those who had trapped it for [insert number] years, and if they were dead, their descendants would do fine.

Hello again Bay12, its been a while.

But let’s stop that before I start rambling, welcome to the Artefact, a suggestion game were you will take control of both an ancient evil artefact with plans to rule the world, and the mortal fool who released it who may either struggle for freedom, or embrace this dark power

So first up I need the details of both the mortal fool, the artefact and the location
Mortal
Name:
Previous occupation:
History:

Artefact
Type: (Demonic, Necromantic, Elemental)
Appearance: (Staff, crown, sword, ect)
Spirit: (Is it part of its maker, was it made with the artefact or was it a trapped soul?)
Age: How long its been trapped, how long since its been built
History: Brief history on who made it, and how it got here
Other info:

Village Size:
Temple relative to village:
Village other:

Set in your standard fantasy world with orcs, goblins, elves and of course, dwarves, however humans and orcs dominant most of the land, the other races being minor forces next to the multiple orc tribes and human kingdoms, and you are a human in some kingdom. My friend told me my ideas often get too complicated so I’m going for minimal bookkeeping, and maximum imagination, which will hopefully make me less prone to periods of wait. Stats will be explained in next post, after I have the details above, brief and short stats, so here’s to the hope of fun  :)

(Also I'd like this game to be serious in nature, no magic guitars)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 10:26:51 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: The Artefact
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:47:45 pm »

Name: Clair Gunner
Previous occupation: Singer
History: No ideas apart from she lost an arm and would be evil anyway if she had the power to be.

Type: Demonic
Appearance: Metal Arm, look like a left arm of a black suit of armor with red pattens.
Spirit: It a symbiotic demon so made with the artefact I guess.
History: It wasn't made as so much birthed by the demon lord(lady?), Bael(I know he a guy, but I making him a female). A mage summoned it from hell, bonded with him, became a feared dark lord before dying by a hero called Gorden Rock. The arm was sealed shortly after.
Other info: Tri-elements(fire, ice and lightning)

Village Name: Whitemarsh
Village Size: Small
Temple relative to village: 10 miles
Village other: Humans and goblins town
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 03:01:48 pm »

Name: Xerxes Arawth
Previous occupation: Doctor
History: A sadistic doctor obsessed with slowly tearing his victims apart, he sought this artefact in the hopes that it would help him in his 'urges', and to bypass his own mortality.

Type: Demonic

Appearance: A long, spectral chain with a large serrated hook on the end, wrapped upon the mortal's dominant arm.
Spirit: A hungry, immortal presence known as the Nothing.
History: The Nothing was an ancient, terrible power, feared by demons and men alike. It wandered the land, taking for itself the souls of all it walked upon. It slew all it saw, demon, human, elf, or otherwise.

Eventually, at great cost, the humans and demons allied to seal it into it's own weapon, a long, spectral chain with a serrated hook, used to consume and torture the souls of those it wounded. The legend of bogeymen stemmed from the sightings of the Nothing.

The chain was sealed away, in the hope no mortal or immortal would ever use such a weapon. Until now.
Other info: Devours the souls of all those it slays to strengthen the wielder. If it kills many in a short duration, the wielder enters a bloodlust where it is nigh-impossible to kill them.

Village: Dirgefurnace.
Village size: Medium
Temple relative distance: 14 miles west
Other: Kobolds/humans, worship Bjarnek, the Frost God of War and Alharz, Rainbow God of Dreams

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:01 pm »

Name: Clair Gerriksdaughter
Previous occupation: Alchemal Assistant
History: Clair was born to a family of poor farmers (and is there any other kind?). She was lucky enough to catch the attention of an alchemist living in a nearby town seven years ago, and was apprenticed to him. Once the properties of Redstone's rocks were discovered, Clair's master was among the first to go and study the new rocks...and among the first to die in a spiderman raid within his first week. Clair has since offered her services to several people, mainly alchemists but also others. Recently, she got an opportunity to help survey land for a new settlement; her team discovered an ancient temple, and the rest will soon be history...

Artefact
Type: Elemental?
Appearance: A perfectly spherical gemstone with a network of hollow tubes inside, through which a variety of fluids flow up, down, or sideways in a complex pattern.
Spirit: One of the primal forces of the world, or a fragment thereof.
History: Again, how would I know?
Other info: Presumably has odd magical powers

Village Size: Growing but currently fairly small
Temple relative to village: A few miles
Village other: Redstone was founded a decade and a half or so ago, by a group of several dwarves. It slowly gathered people from the nearby region, a jungle with scattered rocky hills and small peaks, but there weren't many there to begin with due to the spidermen and giant jaguars that inhabit the jungle. Recently, it became a hotspot due to the discovery that the red rocks making up its titular peak have unique alchemal properties; migrants have been flowing in since. The main peak is becoming crowded, and the jungle isn't the most hospitable place to expand a little village into, so teams were sent to survey nearby peaks and see if any were worth building new villages on.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 06:20:39 pm »

OK people, great ideas, but a consensus must be reached

Also more people would be liked

Come on, I'm getting views, please respond, just one vote, then this game can get moving
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:33:00 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 04:03:44 am »

I would vote for one of the other, but I don't like them(the Artefact not the posters) so the best I can do is bump it back to the first page.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:34:19 am »

New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 05:32:11 am »

PTP
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 05:43:32 am »

OK, that's one for GWG, I'll wait an hour, then I'll post, in the meantime, a history of the local gods coming up

Spoiler:  The Wanderers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 07:16:38 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ancient Artefact
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 12:01:07 pm »

Clair took a step closer, to get a better view of the artefact. It looked like a small gem, but round, and with some kind of liquid flowing through it, and sometimes out of it. Amazing, her boss will be pleased, she's impressed, what kind of thing is this, so small, so pretty, she grasped it in her hand. Suddenly the liquid that had been so gently flowing in the artefact, spilled out in a mad rush, shocked she dropped the item, or at least attempted to, but her hand was frozen stiff, the liquid around it solid as diamond, then the liquid rushed up her arm, defying gravity and all the laws of nature she had ever learned. She opened her mouth to scream, and then the cool, clear liquid spilled into her open mouth, then it all went dark

Finally, it had a body, a host to move through, it stretched its new limbs testing their strength, not very strong, in fact it doubted they would take many hits either, still, a body's a body, and it had best make use of them, for now its host would sleep, but it felt its powers waning, after so long trapped in that sphere, it needed to feed soon.

It reached out with its mind, and felt many other creatures in the prison, creatures very similar to the one it controlled right now. The orb had been nourishing, but it hadn't been able to hold it forever, then it remembered the orb. Quickly it let the orb slip under and through the skin of this current host, satisfied that its link was secure it set out into the dark.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sam was beginning to worry, it had been a long time since Clair had gone up ahead, in fact it had been along time since he had seen anyone else from entering the temple. Perhaps he should head out and look for them, perhaps... A sudden noise made Sam jump, he spun around hands in front, not that that would do much good and saw.
"Oh, jeez Clair, you gave me a fright, don't sneak up on me again ok." Clair simply stood there, staring at him, Sam looked behind him, nothing "Hey Clair you OK?" he turned around and suddenly she was in front of him, Sam jumped back in alarm. "What the hell, how'd you do that." Clair said nothing, merely taking a step towards him. "Hey Clair, you're starting to freak me out, Clair, Clair? She finally started to speak now, but when she spoke it sounded different, like really different, strained, hissing, ancient. "It will feed us, give us strength, like the others, we will again have power" Sam never got the chance to even scream.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Mortals inside the temple had sated its hunger for now, but there were still a good number of them, at least seven, outside, and while it could hunt them, the chance of escape is high, on the other hand the hunger has not left completely quite yet. On a side note, the mortal is beginning to wake up

What Now?

Physical strength, 5
Mental strength, 5
Artefact strength, 16/20
Balance of power 0/20
Spoiler: stats info (click to show/hide)

Any Further questions will be answered tomorrow
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:02:46 pm by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:56 pm »

Gather the other Mortals posing as one of them, and feed on them.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:21 pm »

-snip
+1
Cool.
I must say that this is turning out much more...interestingly than I had anticipated.

Anyways, action.

Kill the other humans. Make sure none survive. Meanwhile, extract as much information from the human's mind as we can before she awakes--surely much has changed since I was left in that temple.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 07:28:07 pm »

-snip
+1
Cool.
I must say that this is turning out much more...interestingly than I had anticipated.

Anyways, action.

Kill the other humans. Make sure none survive. Meanwhile, extract as much information from the human's mind as we can before she awakes--surely much has changed since I was left in that temple.

+1 Also, test our ancient powers on the Mortals. Try to remember our spells and magics.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:30 pm »

^ Also, what was your name?

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 09:02:59 am »

(Sorry this took so long, family matters)
(Also you don't have a name, and if you did, its been forgotten in the winds of time)

You advance on the humans acting as normally as you think you would, or rather the human would. As you advance you try to shift through the humans memories, unfortunately it seems the mind control was a bit more violent than you intended and so the mortals mind is scattered about, offering no resistance, but also being some kind of maze. As a result you only manage to retrieve some strange emotional moments and some alchemy you already knew about. The Mortals quickly advance towards you, not seeming to notice anything, unusual, good.

When they get closer, they seem to ask question, referring to you as "Clair," same name as the ones inside called you, interesting. Once they are all in range, you strike, a massive wall of rock suddenly surrounds the frightened mortals, as their frightened cry's leave their lips, you send out a small blizzard of ice shards, hurtling into the miners, skewering four of them where they stand. The remaining three seem to not notice their comrades fate, looking at the walls of rick and desperately trying to make sense of them, you advance on one of them from behind, your arm suddenly protruding jagged rocks all along it, including one very long spike of rock where your right hand should be, and skewer the fourth miner. At this point the two remaining mortals hear their comrades scream of pain and whirl around to see you, with your rocky arm still protruding from the mortals belly. At this point one of them make the altogether foolish decision of picking up its pickaxe, and charging you, the other one makes the smart decision of climbing the rock wall. The Pick wielder finds its belly filled with ice shards before it gets close, however the other human manages to escape. You immediately lower the rock wall and send another shower of ice shards hurtling towards the mortal, but he dodges to the side and runs into the forest.

Well that mortal escaped, however its likely that others will dismiss his story as madness, mortals are always in denial of things that are beyond them, that being said it shouldn't be too hard to locate and catch the mortal. You did manage to remember the secrets of ice and rock manipulation, however the rest continues to elude you. You now have a scattering of torn up corpses, and the mortal is close to waking, so...

What now?

Physical strength 5
Mental strength 5
Artefact power 21/20 (+7 soul consumption, -2 power usage)
Balance of Power 1/20
Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Elemental spirits (click to show/hide)
In denial of sanity...

and insanity
Pages: [1] 2