Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Being Efficient  (Read 1760 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Being Efficient
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 08:40:04 pm »

... The main problem is the extreme susceptibility to tantrum spirals. I want to make a fortress which can recover from crisis, not immediately fall apart....

You don't have to keep the dwarves seperate or prevent them from forming friendships - there is another way. You can traumatize them so that they all gain the thought "doesn't really care about anything anymore". This makes them resistant to tantrum spirals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:43 pm »

It also requires keeping a delicate balance on their psyches for awhile, at borderline unhappy, and keeping it there for a long time. (For 'proper' conditioning.)

This can be more difficult than satisfying a demand for slade earrings if you have lots of talkative dwarves, unless you want to introduce something like a puppy fountain. (Which then runs the risk of miasma tipping their little brains into murder mode, and the risk of necromancers causing a bit too much trauma.)

Makes me wonder about webbing sometimes.  Pitting an angry hostile demon in a webber pillbox, and letting it web people in the main dining hall might well work, if you can stomach the alert spam.

The cancellation of parties it would cause would likewise be interesting.

thryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 07:23:28 am »

On the 12th day of Granite Dwarf Therapist gave to me:
12 Haulers hauling
11 Detailers smoothing
10 Archers shooting
9 Axedwarfs training
8 Crafters crafting
7 Farmers milling
6 Masons building
5 Engineeeeeeeeeers
4 Miners digging
3 Woodworkers chopping
2 Jewelers cutting
And a forum thread on efficiency

Which is to day, I avoid idlers (and FPS death) by setting the population cap low. My current fortress has 59 adults and is just about perfect ... well, except I forgot about children so I have 68 of those, all under four years old. And more being born all the time. If only these rubber trees made rubbers....

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 07:45:47 am »

Thanks for all the advice. I'm almost definitely going to use some of it, especially the stuff on booze.

I know that I already haven't been posting stuff, but don't expect anything from me for a few days as I will be far away from home for a while. Still, though, feel free to post.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"
Pages: 1 [2]