Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Powering Pump Stacks...  (Read 1451 times)

Snow Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Powering Pump Stacks...
« on: May 14, 2013, 03:49:50 pm »

Im a noob trying to make a pump stack to bring magma from the magma sea to deal with a constantly reanimating pile of 2k corpses on the surface.

However I am very confused as to how pumps transfer power to eachother. This image on the wiki

tells you to dig the channels first and then build the pump but I cannot order the construction of a pump if one of the parts is over open space. Am I supposed to build a floor and then deconstruct it once the pump is finished?
"Wait why are there bone golems in my dinning room?"

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Powering Pump Stacks...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:55:28 pm »

you need to attach one of the pumps to a gear/shaft or build from the bottom up so that things are 'supported'.  So long as no one cancels construction your stack should be fine.
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 03:58:31 pm »

The image is accurate.  You should be able to build part of a pump over an open space, but only if it's the dark green part (the part that's shown in the image to occupy the full square; not the light green part that's shown as in the image as a mat).

Snow Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 04:13:40 pm »

The red letters claim that it Needs ground or near machine.

However I was able to build a pump on top of another like Hiroshi said. Tyvm btw ^_^
"Wait why are there bone golems in my dinning room?"

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »

It took me a while to "get" that diagram too, it is easiest to build from the bottom up.

Code: [Select]
Start by digging out the bottom level like this
###
#.#
#.###
#..<#
#_###
###

# = Wall
. = Floor
_ = Channel
< = Stairs up

It is best to build a grate over the channel, this will keep surprise beasties from climbing up through there.

Build the pump so that it pulls from the channel (in this case from the south)

###
#.#
#%###
#%.<#
#_###
###

% = pump.  The north tile is impassable, and the south one is walkable.

Dig the next level up like this

###
#_###
#...#
#_#X#
#.###
###

X = up/down stairs

You don't need to grate over the channels here (and in fact you can't grate over the southern one).

Once you add the pump (facing the other direction) it will look like this.

###
#_###
#%..#
#%#X#
#.###
###

The south end of the pump is the impassable tile, and it it pulling from the north.
That channel is directly over the output tile of the pump below (the northern most "." in that z-level).
Power passes through the channel under the impassable pump tile in this z-level to the passable tile of the pump in the z-level below.

The next level up looks like the first, but has the "extra" channel for the power to pass through.

###
#.#
#_###
#..X#
#_###
###

Keep building upwards until you get to the top.  Then, connect the power source to the top pump.

What the trick boils down to is that the pump must be on two solid tiles (which it is on the bottom level) or have the walkable tile on solid ground with the impassable tile above an existing machine of some kind.

The whole thing can be dug out before adding the pumps, or you can build as you go.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 05:01:12 pm »

Pumps, gears and vertical axles can all transfer power up or down. Gears, and pumps can also do it NSEW. The idea is to build the stack from the bottom up, so that the bottom pump then provides support for the pump above. If it's not letting you build the pump, use UMHK to rotate the pump, and see if it allows you to place it that way.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 07:56:56 pm »

also your architect needs to be able to stand on the open end of the pump to build it, not to the side same for the actual builder. cost me some time when I built a 3 wide pumpstack once, and ran into this problem.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!