Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Vomit Monster vs. Steel-Clad Dwarves  (Read 3511 times)

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
Re: Vomit Monster vs. Steel-Clad Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 03:48:12 am »

Really?
I was under the impression that blob type monsters are in certain situations the most dangerous, since they have no body parts to be hacked off.
That's why giant sponges are so dangerous...

The difference being that giant sponges are one indivisible body part, this was a quadruped with limbs and a head that was made of vomit.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 03:08:42 pm »

Oh, right, I'm stupid.
Thanks for the correction.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 07:49:41 pm »

I like to think that blobs are giant variants of amoebas, and if you pierce their membrane, their bodies rives apart, spilling their internal fluids all around.
The problem is that! They don't have organs, don't have internal fluids, don't have brains, don't have (insert anything here)...
The only way to kill inorganic blobs is make it in two, does someone have a way of do it?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 05:56:15 am »

Once a mountan titan entered my map, it was a huge blob composed of flames. It was able to spit fireballs all around, and burned the map several times, however it was unable to move.
I was really afraid of it, so I spent only one marksdwarf to kill it, and only one bolt was enough to kill him.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 09:23:49 pm »

Once a mountan titan entered my map, it was a huge blob composed of flames. It was able to spit fireballs all around, and burned the map several times, however it was unable to move.
I was really afraid of it, so I spent only one marksdwarf to kill it, and only one bolt was enough to kill him.
flames have the consistency of a boiled egg.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 11:07:52 pm »

I did some testing and research. It turns out that a single body part creature made of SOLID materials (such as Giant Sponges, or a vomit blob) can become impossible to kill in normal combat. However, GAS, LIQUID, or SOLID_POWDER single body part creatures die in one hit.

As I mentioned, vomit is treated as a solid material. Water is liquid (water) or powder (snow), fire is gas, ash is powder, grime is solid, mud is liquid, coal is solid, glass is solid.

So fear the vomit and grime blobs! A humanoid made of vomit could be killed by decapitation.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2013, 10:39:00 am »

That's interesting. I wonder why vomit is a solid, while mud is a liquid. Is that a bug?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 11:10:03 am »

Vomit doesn't really imply a state of matter, while mud is effectively a liquid form of dirt...
It almost makes me wonder if molten vomit could be created...
Well, that's dorf logic for ya.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.
Pages: 1 [2]