Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF don't work on windows 8  (Read 2162 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
DF don't work on windows 8
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:54:47 pm »

Does DF works on Windows 8 (excluding via virtual machines)? Should I give him the dlls he wants? This will make he run?

Ps : Where I was supposed to post this?
In a time before time, I had a name.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF don't work on windows 8
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »

DF works fine on Windows 8. I've run it on a Windows 8 machine plenty of times; just have to unzip and go.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 11:14:10 pm »

Does DF works on Windows 8 (excluding via virtual machines)? Should I give him the dlls he wants? This will make he run?

Ps : Where I was supposed to post this?

DF should run fine on Win 8.

As per your signature, you need to work on pronoun usage.  "He" is masculine, "She" is feminine, and "It" is neuter.  In English, almost all inanimate objects are referred to by the neuter gendered pronoun.  The only major exception I can think of being vehicles of some sort, especially ships, which can be referred to by the feminine pronoun, which is kind of a left over from when individual words would have had gender associated with their endings and such.  Just did a little research and it seems Portuguese doesn't have a neuter gendered singular pronoun, which is quite odd for a Romance language.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 11:33:02 pm »

Sí comprendes español, puedo dar un explicación de inglés en español.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:55:57 pm »

Windows 8 or Windows 8 RT?  Windows 8 RT is designed to run on ARM architecture, and apps written for x86 will not run on Windows 8 RT.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 08:52:13 am »

Holy crap, windows 8 has 84 bits?

Also equaly as holy crap, portuguese has no neutral nouns?

WOW, that's some stuff I didn't know.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:26:20 am »

What the hell are you talking about?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:23:16 am »

DF should run fine on Win 8.

As per your signature, you need to work on pronoun usage.  "He" is masculine, "She" is feminine, and "It" is neuter.  In English, almost all inanimate objects are referred to by the neuter gendered pronoun.  The only major exception I can think of being vehicles of some sort, especially ships, which can be referred to by the feminine pronoun, which is kind of a left over from when individual words would have had gender associated with their endings and such.  Just did a little research and it seems Portuguese doesn't have a neuter gendered singular pronoun, which is quite odd for a Romance language.
Sorry, it's cause DF is pretty special for me... and... ROMANCE LANGAGUE!?
Serious, portuguese is meant to be write in a way you can read later.Ex.: We write "Tapete", when we speak, we say Tapete. In english we write "Way" and read "Wey".

Holy crap, windows 8 has 84 bits?

Also equaly as holy crap, portuguese has no neutral nouns?

WOW, that's some stuff I didn't know.
What is 84 bits? You mean 64?
Also, yes the things are male or female, and need to be treated as such. Ex.: The Garden, in portuguese it's male, so: O(The) Jardim(Garden); The Thing, in portuguese it's female, so: A(The) Coisa(Thing).
I tried to run it in my 64 bits desk and it just asked for a bunch of dlls.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:25:10 am by David The Master »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:54:17 am »

In english we write "Way" and read "Wey".
That's kind of a bad example, as 'ay' is rarely pronounced as anything but 'ay'. What you want is a comparison of 'rough', 'bough', 'through', 'thorough', 'cough', and any other pronunciation of 'ough' I've missed (I don't think 'hiccough' counts, that word being spelled 'hiccup' now). Those particular four letters are rather an extreme example though -- there are very few syllables that have so many pronunciations for the same spelling.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 11:55:41 am »

In english we write "Way" and read "Wey".
That's kind of a bad example, as 'ay' is rarely pronounced as anything but 'ay'. What you want is a comparison of 'rough', 'bough', 'through', 'thorough', 'cough', and any other pronunciation of 'ough' I've missed (I don't think 'hiccough' counts, that word being spelled 'hiccup' now). Those particular four letters are rather an extreme example though -- there are very few syllables that have so many pronunciations for the same spelling.
Sorry, i'm too lazy to think in a good example...

Rhodok_XBowmen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:58:07 am »

Pensei que eu era o único Brasileiro que jogava DF  :)
Falando nisso, tava pensando em usar o windows 8, você recomenda?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 12:13:00 pm »

I'll try to download all the dlls it's requesting and try to run it...

Pensei que eu era o único Brasileiro que jogava DF  :)
Falando nisso, tava pensando em usar o windows 8, você recomenda?
Please, only english in the forums. and check your messages.

Rhodok_XBowmen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:34 pm »

Whoops, sorry, i though i could say that in our language.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 04:07:38 pm »

Sorry, it's cause DF is pretty special for me... and... ROMANCE LANGAGUE!?
Serious, portuguese is meant to be write in a way you can read later.Ex.: We write "Tapete", when we speak, we say Tapete. In english we write "Way" and read "Wey".

Romance langauges are all the latiny languages roughly descending from the roman empire. French, Spanish, Italian, etc. the semitic languages are  more middle east with Arabic and Hebrew being two examples. Germanic languages are german dutch, etc.

gabandre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 04:18:19 pm »

the portuguese neutral is hidden in the masculine, (and sometimes in a few feminine words).
which makes me angry when someone tries to express gender equality saying thing like: bem-vindos(welcome) todos(all masc) e todas(all fem).
but the demonstrative pronouns still have a neutral form.

in topic, I cant play DF in my win8 too, I'm sure i've extracted it correctly but it wont run
cant give more detail for now as its been a while since I last tried
Pages: [1] 2