Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cities XL  (Read 1578 times)

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Cities XL
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:54:17 pm »

So, Cities XL. The Simcity 5 that has maps ten times the size but with excessive memory leaks and low complexity playstyles.

And, best of all...

Spoiler: CURVED ROADS! (click to show/hide)

Plus, there's no DRM. That's probably the selling point at the moment.

I'm terrible at explanations, so here is a gameplay video that showcases the game reasonably well. Ignore the penis.

The graphics are very nice and the gameplay is quite a lot of fun, despite having to pay far less attention to detail compared to other games like Simcity 4. There's a few gamebreaking bugs, such as the random memory leak that occurs after no more than an hour or so of play and when you get a certain number of population. Plus, the game has horrible multi-core support. Yeah, not great for a game with this kind of processing potential.

I managed to find a fix for one of the lag issues, and it definitely makes a difference. The lack of multi-core usage still hinders the game significantly, but with some tweaking the game is more than playable.

Each year, a new version is released as a sort of update. Cities XL Platinum (the 2013 version) is on steam for $29.99, but if you own a previous version you get 85% off your purchase, taking the price down to $4.50. Not bad if you ask me.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:56:46 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cities XL
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:31:22 pm »

fact they havent given out regular patches and fixed gamebreaking bugs breaks it for me

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:37:35 pm »

Yeah, they've been kind of slack with the patches.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »

might be worthwhile if they fixex it sooner rather than later