Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lycanthropy not 100% transmittable?  (Read 2472 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lycanthropy not 100% transmittable?
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:16:55 pm »

One of my sword dwarves fought off a weregoat, but took a nasty bite to his upper leg.  The limb wasn't torn off.  The medic patched him up and then I walled him up in fortifications to keep an eye on him.  A whole season passed without any transformation.  Unfortunately, the poor dwarf died of thirst before I noticed.  Even if I somehow missed a transformation event, his thirst should've reset before he died.  Anyone else have werebeast attack survivors who didn't contract the disease?

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lycanthropy not 100% transmittable?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:28:04 pm »

I had an axedwarf attacked by a werecamel. It broke a few bones, but failed to bite through the armour. Then the beast transformed into a human and was promptly killed. Now its ghost appears to hang around the fortress.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 05:03:10 pm »

The bite my dwarf received caused moderate blood loss.  And it was definitely a bite.  The weregoat latched on with its teeth and severed an artery, while leaving the limb intact.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:19:22 pm »

As far as I know, a bite must "break the skin."

It *may* (and I stress *may* here) be possible that the skin was not torn when the goat bit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:38:08 pm »

The bite my dwarf received caused moderate blood loss.  And it was definitely a bite.  The weregoat latched on with its teeth and severed an artery, while leaving the limb intact.
Combat logs?

By 'limb intact' do you mean it wasn't ripped off or it was completely unblemished?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 06:08:02 pm »

I wonder -- does werebeast transmission require an unarmoured part to be bitten? As far as I know, the game converts edged attacks to blunt when the attacking material can't get through the defending material, and the werebeast syndrome may be lost along with the edge.

By default, even a dwarf covered in metal at maximum up / down step has several exposed areas, all of which are valid targets for the AI.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 06:35:37 pm »

I wonder -- does werebeast transmission require an unarmoured part to be bitten?
Biting and latching onto a limb can initially be blocked by armour but if the werecreature can tear into it the bite will pass the armour and transmit the curse.
It is entirely likely the bite was converted into a blunt attack that shattered bones and severed arteries, unless Verdant has logs which say otherwise.
Shame the Dwarf died :/

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 06:59:39 pm »

I meant intact, as in it wasn't ripped off the body.  I recall reading that some dwarves have avoided lycanthropy when the bitten limb was torn off, but this dwarf still had the bitten leg.  Unfortunately, when I checked, I got "no recent reports."  I always forget to take screenshots until it is too late.  However, I remember that wound had several categories, starting with torn skin, then torn fat & muscle, and finally a severed artery and motor nerve.  Is it possible to have torn skin, but no actual penetration through clothing?  I'm a carebear player, so I was soooooo close to abandoning this fort when the poor dwarf died from thirst.  Of course, in true DF style, I'm sure the next time I get a werebeast bite and let the dwarf carry on, I'll probably get a raging were-elephant in the dining hall.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:03:44 pm by VerdantSF »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 07:11:08 pm »

Is it possible to have torn skin, but no actual penetration through clothing?
Yup. Compound fractures where shards of bone end up poking through the tissue layers.

Of course, in true DF style, I'm sure the next time I get a werebeast bite and let the dwarf carry on, I'll probably get a raging were-elephant in the dining hall.
Segregate into a smaller subfort with supplies, shouldn't take too much effort. Gotta be safe.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:18:20 pm »

Yup. Compound fractures where shards of bone end up poking through the tissue layers.
Ah!  I forgot about those!  Good idea about the subfort.  I'll start digging one out now just in case I get another surprise.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 07:34:52 pm »

Isn't it possible for a bite attack to not penetrate armor, but still latch on? If that's true, then it might be that getting shaken around(pretty much always causes artery tearing) doesn't transmit the disease, just the initial bite.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 09:08:55 pm »

maybe it's just like venom, since lycanthropy is a syndrome, the teeth must touch the blood of the victim.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 11:08:53 am »

Biting and latching onto a limb can initially be blocked by armour but if the werecreature can tear into it the bite will pass the armour and transmit the curse.
How's that reflected in the in-game information?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 11:49:01 am »

How's that reflected in the in-game information?
is that when "The werewolf shakes the axedwarf by the lower leg tering the muscle trough the -Steel High Boots- !" ?
In a time before time, I had a name.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2013, 07:27:02 am »

is that when "The werewolf shakes the axedwarf by the lower leg tering the muscle trough the -Steel High Boots- !" ?
Very much so. I believe it's one of the only ways to guarantee transferring the curse. This is still somewhat a mystery though, so I guess we'll have to wait until some science is done.
Pages: [1] 2