Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: constant needs plump helmet spawn spam  (Read 1607 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
constant needs plump helmet spawn spam
« on: May 12, 2013, 08:58:28 am »

I've got a couple hundred plump helmet spawn in bags near the farm..but basically daily I get constant spam about some farmer cancelling planting because he needs plump helmet spawn. What's up with this?

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: constant needs plump helmet spawn spam
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:12 am »

This happens because when someone eats or brews a plump helmet, it creates a plump helmet spawn there. Eventually a hauler realises that plump helmet spawn needs taking to the stockpile, so he goes to the stockpile, gets the bag of plump helmet spawn, takes the whole bag to the single plump helmet spawn in the dining room, puts it in the bag, and then puts the bag back. Your farmer goes to the stockpile to find the plump helmet spawn, but can't do the job since they're all in Urist McHauler's inventory. This happens with all kinds of containers and all kinds of jobs that use things in containers. Yes, it's idiotic. The farm constantly creates "plant a seed" jobs when it has spaces, so the farmer will keep on trying until the spawn are back. It's spammy but means he'll get round to it eventually.

You might also be out of spawn, of course, especially if you let your farm run for a long time without brewing anything or turn off plump helmets for brewing altogether. Check the stocks as well.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:27:51 am by Xinael »

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:58:52 am »

As I mentioned, I've got 200 spawns in bags near the farm. I'm not remotely out. But yeah, that makes sense. It's completely stupid how that happens..there are some really weird bugs in this version and it's rather disheartening that's been sitting as our current version for such a long time..

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »

Try setting up a separate stockpile just for seeds and removing seeds from your food stockpile.  That should make it less common since they'll never share barrels with food.  It will still happen, mostly when a hauler collects seeds, but not as often.

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:57:12 pm »

Also, don't allow barrels for the seed stockpiles. That way you won't have the situation where someone picks up an entire barrel of seeds to go retrieve a seeds for the stockpile, making all the seeds in the barrel unavailable.

That greatly lowered the need seed spam for me.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:57:24 pm »

You could also make a thriving meat industry, rely solely on meat for your food, trade in booze, and not have farms at all.  This will work better if you're butchering something very big, or very prolific breeders.  The Rhino War, and that one fortress I had that was drowning in domesticated badgers, both come to mind...
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 04:25:35 am »

Having a separate seed stockpile helps, but disallowing barrels, so that the seeds are stored in separate bags, is massively important. Doing that has cut the spam in quarters for me.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 10:00:52 am »

the brilliant solution that did it for me was this (eliminated all seed spam).

TWO seed stockpiles.  A and B.  A is set to collect from everywhere.  B collects from links only, and takes only from A.  Set both stockpiles to use no barrels.

If B is of sufficient size, all seed bags will accumulate in B.  They will take the bags from B to plant, but not to gather.  If they do happen to use a bag to gather seeds for A, they won't take any bag from B to do so (which will have most of the seeds) and so you won't get spam.  Most of the time A will only be used right after a crop matures, and you'll quickly hit the 200 seed cap again, with all the seeds in B.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku