Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Left-clicking the mouse will move cursor during designation?  (Read 601 times)

Potetsalat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

As the topic says, when I'm doing designations, my left mouse button will move the yellow X. But unlike the right-click button, it will also set the designation order. So basically I can only designate squares. Not a major problem, but stil frustrating.

The problem came when I installed DF on my new computer, with windows 8 (Not sure if that matters, but I know already windows 8 comes with fun). I'm also using a mod called Genesis reborn, but I played with this mod before without this problem.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:08:18 am by Potetsalat »

JTTCOTE1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Left-clicking the mouse will move cursor during designation?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:39:04 am »

YOU CAN DESIGNATE NON-RECTANGLES?!?!?!??!?!

You have just saved me literal lifetimes.

Not sure what you mean. When I tried this, left-clicking designated the tile clicked to be dug but did not move the X, whether I'd started the rectangle or not. Right-clicking moved the x but did not finish the designation. Don't understand what your complaint is exactly...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 02:53:10 am »

yes, with the mouse you can set designations like digging, paint burrows and more. Most of the game is done with the keyboard though
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Potetsalat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 02:55:02 am »

At the moment, I have to click twice to complete a designation. I hit "d" and left click a tile, it will move the yellow X, If I then move my mouse to a different tile, it will make a squared designation (just like the keyboard, it's basically a new "enter")

I want it to be normal, when you can hold your left mouse button down and drag it around, making a track of designations behind your mouse.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:18:13 am »

should be possible. There are some options hen setting designations too, check which keys do what I'd say, it might be obvious when you have the screen up
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Potetsalat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:51:33 am »

I can't find any keybindings related to the mouse, only to the keyboard

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 05:41:29 am »

ok, I was wrong, then again, I still have the 1 tile set-up with at least digging, though I do know there are different options when setting burrows with the mouse

In short; no clue

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 08:02:43 am »

Are you using DFHack with one of these in the plugins file? I'm not sure which one exactly modifies the mouse behaviour, because I installed them all as a bundle yesterday.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 08:28:51 am »

It's falconne's "mouse plugin" that causes this behaviour.

Potetsalat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 09:04:15 am »

It's falconne's "mouse plugin" that causes this behaviour.

Yes, I deleted mousequery.plug from the Hack folder, now it's back to normal!

Thanks for all the answers :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably because the game wasn't designed to be used with a mouse at all.  You hit enter once to start the designation, move the cursor, and hit enter again to designate the rectangle.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Potetsalat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Probably because the game wasn't designed to be used with a mouse at all.  You hit enter once to start the designation, move the cursor, and hit enter again to designate the rectangle.

You misunderstood the dilemma. I know how to play and move around in DF, but my mouse was not working normally, because I had a mouse addon installed, without knowing it.