Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Detailed cloaks for uniforms  (Read 642 times)

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
Detailed cloaks for uniforms
« on: May 11, 2013, 08:27:36 pm »

I'd like my military to be emblazoned with the sign of my fortress.

Do I just make a bazillion cloaks and sew images on them until I get enough?

Or is there a better way?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Detailed cloaks for uniforms
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:53 pm »

Might be hard. Yes, you'd pretty much have to not only make enough cloaks with images sewn on, but you'd also have to assign each proper cloak to each dwarf individually.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:29:09 am »

Or atom smash/trade every not-wanted cloak out from the fortress, so you don't have to assign those cloaks individually.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:27 pm »

cloaks wear.  i suggest getting it on armor, since it won't rot away.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:52:36 am »

considering you can't view the cloak from the military item select list, you'd need to forbid/destroy other cloaks as well.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:35:56 am »

Oddly that seems like an oversight :P
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Id Utalrisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:24:08 pm »

I heard a rumor that if a piece is set as armor (rather than self-chosen clothes) it won't degrade anymore. Is this wrong/am I mistaken? I have not checked it out.

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 01:57:54 pm »

I heard a rumor that if a piece is set as armor (rather than self-chosen clothes) it won't degrade anymore. Is this wrong/am I mistaken? I have not checked it out.
You're mistaken. If you assign clothing as part of an armor set it'll still degrade. The Dwarves won't dump it until it's completely useless either, which is a blessing (no discards, no hoarding) and a curse (negative thoughts).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 03:16:56 pm »

Items that are understood by the game as strictly armor won't degrade.  That is, things like breastplates and greaves.  Anything that civilians will show up wearing, or pick up and wear, is considered more generic clothing and will degrade.  That behavior doesn't change if a soldier wears it.  Assigning shirts and pants to a soldier won't make them stop degrading, for example.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 10:33:29 pm »

I'm very tempted to draft everyone, set them to inactive and assign them armor and make them wear armor year long.

Any downsides?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:43:06 pm »

Aside from having to make the armor?  Not really.  Oh, aside from the inability to draft miners, wood cutters and hunters properly.  They'll have lots of uniform problems if you try.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 02:05:03 am »

And slowness. Unless you build a danger room or a Coinstar to train up their Armor User skill, they'll be slowed down quite a bit by the armor.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."