Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gatsby  (Read 2578 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Gatsby
« on: May 10, 2013, 10:32:46 pm »

Back in my sophmore year of high school, I--as many of you surely have--read The Great Gatsby, a book which is an American classic.

Just now, I--as many fewer of you surely have--returned from seeing The Great Gatsby in its film adaptation.

I must say, I'm impressed.
Aside from managing to mix emotional turmoil and humor and such in ways which seemed totally natural and managed to not disrupt the flow of the film, the whole made a tale which has bored many a high school student (less weird than I or many of us) managed to keep my attention and interest the whole time.

Even having read the book and knowing how
the movie really just...hit me, you know?

To Luhrmann, I must say: Well done, old sport.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 03:08:47 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gatsby
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:45:37 pm »

Even having read the book and knowing how (Spoiler!) Gatsby dies in the end
Wow great job looks like I don't need to see it anymore. Geez. Really, thanks. Asshole.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10:25 pm »

Most life stories end that way, the only difference is the details.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 11:13:49 pm »

Most life stories tell about a part in the middle, not at either end.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 04:44:40 am »

You are mad about spoilers to an almost 90 year old book? Really? Then I might interest you in the fact that Frodo succeeds in his quest to destroy the ring, that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern die, as well as that the roman empire declines and falls in Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 04:47:46 am »

GWG should have put it in an actual spoiler tag in the first place, but seriously Lectorog, get over it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 04:48:31 am »

You are mad about spoilers to an almost 90 year old book? Really? Then I might interest you in the fact that Frodo succeeds in his quest to destroy the ring, that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern die, as well as that the roman empire declines and falls in Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

I did a play once in drama on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, that was fun. It's such an odd piece what with the whole "existence beyond the script of the play" thing.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 04:55:55 am »

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern die
Wha? No! Like Mech I've done this recently, but only a bit. Aw, it's sad now...
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 05:36:56 am »

I did a play once in drama on Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, that was fun. It's such an odd piece what with the whole "existence beyond the script of the play" thing.

Yep, it's a great play/book. In my opinion it is superior to Hamlet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 07:46:33 am »

GWG should have put it in an actual spoiler tag in the first place, but seriously Lectorog, get over it.
Both of you need to up your Poe, Lectorog's seen the old film and read the book.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 08:22:48 am »

Back in my sophmore year of high school, I--as many of you surely have--read The Great Gatsby, a book which is an American classic.

I'm one of the equally large group of people who read the first four or five chapters and bullshitted my way through the rest of the course.  Not for lack of interest really, that's just the way I was in high school.

I suppose now would be as good a time as any to finally read the damn thing, especially since I turned into an intellectual hipster along the way so it's supposed to be a cultural touchstone for me.  Ennui is like so underrated.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 09:15:17 am »

Hell of a good movie adaptation as well. Gary Oldman and Tim Roth as R & G.

Yep, it's a great play/book. In my opinion it is superior to Hamlet.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 09:58:25 am »

I have yet to read or watch Hamlet, yet I've watched R&G Are Dead and am about to read To Be Or Not To Be: That Is The Adventure. I should probably get around to the original.

Does the Gatsby movie have the green light?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 10:06:33 am »

Keep this going gung-ho! My theatrical education is sorely lacking, and I've already got at least one here which I'll definitely watch.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 10:13:53 am »

Does the Gatsby movie have the green light?
Yes. Why wouldn't it?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3