Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern Fun  (Read 754 times)

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cavern Fun
« on: May 10, 2013, 03:37:43 pm »

I have just breached a cavern with the intention of having much 'fun'.  The first thing I did was attack the treacherous Amphibian population that was just outside my breach point.  While my attack was a rousing success, I now have the unfortunate problem of copious amounts of miasma floating around their corpses.  Will this go away eventually?

Also, one of my prime drivers for this expedition is to capture creatures and train them int wars!  However, I'm not entirely sure how to do that.  Do I need to set a dwarf to trapping and let him go wild?  Do I have to setup a series of cage traps near interesting population groups and hope they wander in?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Fun
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 03:41:25 pm »

I have just breached a cavern with the intention of having much 'fun'.  The first thing I did was attack the treacherous Amphibian population that was just outside my breach point.  While my attack was a rousing success, I now have the unfortunate problem of copious amounts of miasma floating around their corpses.  Will this go away eventually?

Also, one of my prime drivers for this expedition is to capture creatures and train them int wars!  However, I'm not entirely sure how to do that.  Do I need to set a dwarf to trapping and let him go wild?  Do I have to setup a series of cage traps near interesting population groups and hope they wander in?

1: Yes Miasma goes away when it releases around 2-4 clouds, going from corpse to skeleton

2: Cage Traps work the best, suggest a bunch of cage traps near your breach point, maybe some regular traps in a line with no diagonal points at your breach point for defense

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:44:01 pm »

You can use some wooden furniture as bait for the larger building destroyers if you want, but overall cavern monsters are pretty suicidal most of the time and will just path into your fort and get caught.

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:30:36 pm »

Cage Traps work the best, suggest a bunch of cage traps near your breach point, maybe some regular traps in a line with no diagonal points at your breach point for defense

The only problem with this plan is that I routinely have dwarfs running out into the cavern to pick up a bolt or some article of clothing from the Amphibian raid.  I guess we'll see which dwarfs are the strongest!

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 05:42:38 am »

If you don't want them out there, there are a few things you can do to keep them inside the fort:

You can use the 'o'rders menu to determine what stuff gets forbidden during fighting - you'll probably want everything to get forbidden, including bolts and dropped items, things from dwarves and enemies dying, and all corpses. You can also watch the fighting and use the d-b-f mass-forbid designation to forbid everything that might be picked up as it's created.

You could also use burrows to make them less likely to go outside (they won't take jobs outside their burrow).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 06:16:15 pm »

If I had a dollar for each thread I've seen named "Cavern Fun", I'd buy an island.

And yes, set up some cage traps. The main issue is going to be the FB's. You are going to want a way to SEAL those caverns, possibly via raising bridge. FB's ignore traps of all kinds, and will prance merrily past them to crush your fort between its aquamarine foot/hooves/antennae.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:52:11 pm »

My setup of raised bridge, traps, bridge, bridge should serve me well then.  Hopefully I won't need to use it. 

I just made an incursion into a Crundle den, and was surprised at how easily my squads of hammerdwarfs and marksdwarfs crushed them.  I heard Crundles were a force to be reckoned with...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 01:02:28 am »

No, see, they're not. What they were doing is jumping out from behind walls and scaring dwarves into falling down 20 flights of stairs, then running away.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 07:57:05 am »

just dump the corpses somewhere farther away.  Or channel the tiles they lay on, so they go down one level, and then cover with a floor or a hatch.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku