Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves sitting on their construction site  (Read 456 times)

Rainbows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves sitting on their construction site
« on: May 10, 2013, 02:45:01 pm »

I have been making an above ground castle but a massive problem I found was my masons kept sitting on the walls they were constructing. This meant when they were about to finish construction the would cancel with the error "Creature occupying Site" and suspend construction, if I recommence or cancel and redesignate walls they just do the same thing.

Does anyone know how to stop them?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves sitting on their construction site
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:59:59 pm »

OOX
XOX
XOX
XOO
XOX

X equals empty space
O equals wall

Should fix the problem, just remove the extra bit when the bit you want to be built is built

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:04:49 pm »

I've seen this happen.  I think its possible that where they stand is determined when the construction is designated, but that wouldn't make that much sense for floors over open space.  Regardless, un-suspending the build job won't work, but canceling it and re-ordering it will work.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Victor6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 03:26:33 pm »

Masons will stand on the construction square if there is not an empty adjacent space that they can stand on. Ramps do count as an empty square, but only on the lower level.

Constructions defined (not just in progress) seem to mess with this a bit. Masons will stand on them while they build, but only if there's another empty adjacent square they could be standing on.

Rainbows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 09:54:37 am »

Dwarves will still sit on the tile regardless of adjacent squares, or at least certainly having only 1 adjacent square.
Canceling and redesignating construction seems hit and miss, occasionally it will work but more often it doesn't

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:45:55 am »

true, but there is no other way so far to get it done, so it's still the best option
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 04:46:20 pm »

i got so fed up with this that i started dfhack spawning a 1z pool of magma on those building tiles, then resuming suspended jobs
guess what Urist McMason, the wall itself is now NOT a valid position to stand, forcing you to do this properly

lava vanishes harmlessly when the wall is built, unless you build on or near grass or moss, this WILL start fires if that is possible :)