Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gamebiz 3 AKA *To be EA or not to be*  (Read 8053 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gamebiz 3 AKA *To be EA or not to be*
« on: May 09, 2013, 10:46:05 pm »

So since a lot of talks about that game sadly went in Game Dev Tycoon i tought i would start a proper thread for the game and post some info along the way, hell who knows maybe some of you will end up buying that game!

So what is it eh? Well its a simulation where you start in the 80* and try to make your way in the gaming industry, buy stock, devlop proper consoles hell if you are good enough your console might outsell some of the more popular one!! by the 89 i had 33% of the whole console market shares.... my secrets rush chip miniaturisation and!!!!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah i never been able to get a better timing/price, a LOT of time went as you can clearly see the total cost of testing, my design is pretty much pixel locked, i cannot move anything by 1 pixel AT ALL. Will try some other design later.

But thats only ONE side of the game, there is also publishing where you can set up your own publishing lines and if you get enough popularity by selling good games, other company will want YOU to publish your game, hell i even had EA to ask me for publishing.... There is a stock market, you hire dozens and dozens of employee along the way to work on research, create your own peripheral, set-up publishing contract for your new consoles so on and so forth. Mind you, its not casual game AT ALL it is very deep but.... hey you play DF right? should be a problem for you then :D

Multiple links incoming.

Good let's play from Electroduck, first video is awfull the puffing in the mic XD but fear not he do a good job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuHWjJaTAEk

Where you can buy
http://www.veloci.dk/gamebiz/index.asp?visnu=GB3.htm

Deadish forum, but the dev is working on a similar game a movie one this time. Might want to lurk there for scraps of info.
http://z11.invisionfree.com/VelociGames/index.php?showforum=7

Generic tips/trick to help you get started if you dont know what to do
http://z11.invisionfree.com/VelociGames/index.php?showtopic=359

Anyway you have story about this game? Myself im quite curious on your hardware setup and why you think you are good :D
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Gamebiz 3 AKA *To be EA or not to be*
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:29:20 am »

Looks like fun, not sure about the 15$ price tag though. Seems a little steep for a game like this. I'll definitely give it a whirl when I get some money on my hands.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:01:11 pm »

I generally play Gamebiz 2 instead of 3 for two reasons:
1) It's free.  I haven't got 15 Euros to spare, although I've certainly been tempted several times.
2) Gamebiz 2 includes game engine design, which makes the game significantly more difficult.  From just playing the Gamebiz 3 demo, I can tell the game is significantly easier that 2, and I like the challenge.

But sure, Gamebiz 3 is a great game.  Like I said, I've certainly been tempted to purchase it several times.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:30:29 pm »

I tried out the demo, and love games like this, so I picked it up last week. So far, the game has been kicking my ass, in part because I insist upon starting at the hardest difficulty level, to get as close to "guy in garage" as I can. I think next time I run, I may just let my first crop of employees train for a year before trying to make a game.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 05:41:23 am »

I found out that *buying* your employee is the best approach if you can afford it, it will pay back in the long run. I mean i got rating 9 coder working at 5k a month but it did cost me 1.6ush milion as a one off payment. But after 7-8 years in i laugh at him being paid as much as some 4 rating dude hahaha. I pay ALL my employee 5k month unless their salary is already lower than that. I hire them manually and never give more than 1% yearly increase. Also i found out that getting some decent leader in their own team ALONE and NOT working seem to speed up their learning....

Heck i had a 41 max employee ( my toon ), grab a leader at 28 i think? and a year later he can have 50+..... I doing more money with hardware than games... i can spit out a new console every 47 week all maxed out using my design up there and everything new. Now the only thing i dont know how to do is to have higher GPU flops than CPU. Even with my crazy team console coming out at the same time as me has better rating in CPU and GPU flops... something is missing somewhere....

Also for your first game in the last window where you set sound quality etc, dont be shy to crank it up to have better rating games and MAX out new feature instead of gameplay this way you will always inoovate, your team will train up their *new feature* stats and it will pay out again in the long run. ALL the game i release are 10/10, every year at E3 thingy all my game get in the best game of the year, i dont release massive hit games sellings milion yet, still in 92 but hell i have game still well selling since 84, i mean 8 year later im frigging still selling some games...

All my games has huge amount of fans, saying its the best game bla bla, my country rating is 100 in every country and hardware wise? frack im hitting 117% now i didnt even know it was possible...

There is one thing im not sure if its bugged or not, when i release a console/computer and its in production, i have an option to set an hardware team to reduce the cost WHILE its out, yet... it never reduce the price. Start the project console manufacture price at 900, after 20 weeks i have a total of 200$ reduction... yet the console still cost me 860$ to make o.O. The 40 drop came from the cpu price im using in the machine that went down on the market and NOT from my team.....
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 05:28:53 pm »

So... basically you're paying your employees jack shit despite them being incredibly talented and making you tons of money?

Wow, this game really is a realistic simulation.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 06:03:45 pm »

Well i paid them for years in advance of salary so yeah kinda, when you get a big bonus for joinin a big company dont you think its better in the end for them? maybe because you could have a better salary, here its just a small exploit in the game mecanics hehehe.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 06:14:33 pm »

The main problem is that even on the hardest difficulty, employees rarely threaten to leave, and those that do offer you a chance to match the competitor's salary.  A ONE MILLION DOLLAR hiring bonus before doing any work is certainly not an abusive pay scale, especially when you consider the employee could invest that at roughly 4% and earn $40,000 a year in interest alone, no matter where they work.

So obviously, they're only bothering to stay out of genuine gratitude.   ;D