Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Betting Pool: A game of deceit and Cooperation [Sign-ups]  (Read 1512 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

The Betting Pool: A Game of Deceit and Cooperation

Goal: The point of the game is to be the last player to have any points.

Process:

1.   A pool of 100 points is split evenly between the players. If not perfectly divisible remaining points are put into the first pot.

2.   One player is secretly given the role of “Thief”. One player is publicly given the “Observer” role. More on this later.

3. A round consists of 3A and 3B. A round lasts three days [excluding weekends] at the end of which 4A, 4B, or 4C can happen.

3A.   Players may put as many points as they see fit into the Pot. The “Observer” is a player who does not HAVE to put in points. See 4A for consequences of not betting. Points MUST be submitted publicly in the forum.

3B.   Players must attempt to figure out who the thief is and vote for him by putting his name in red. Example: Nerjin. If you want to change your vote state Unvote names or unvotes not placed in red might not be noticed.

4A.   If the thief was voted on by a majority the pot is doubled and split evenly amongst all players who are not the thief. Only players who contribute receive a pay-off.

4a. The thief does not immediately get the points and remains the thief. Their points are placed into the “Thief’s Pocket”

4b. The thief receives the points in  the “Thief’s Pocket” when either 4B or 4C occur. This also causes the “Thief” role to change to another player. The same player cannot be a thief again until two other players have been thieves.

4B.   If the thief is not being voted on by more than a majority than the pool is halved, however the thief gains all of the points from the pot.

4C.   If the thief is tied for most votes, or no votes are cast, than the pot is halved and each player receives an equal share.

5.   A player with 0 points left is eliminated from play.

6.   If player-count is more than 2 repeat steps 2-5 until player count reaches 2 or less. At which point head to step 7.

7.   When only two players are left the player with the most amount of points wins.

Edit: By the way, PMing other players ABOUT the game is illegal unless you also send the PM to me. If you break this rule you will lose ALL of your points.

So if you’re interested simply type “In”. No prior experience necessary. If you have any questions or suggestions to the rules feel free to state so.

The game will start roughly three to four days [not including weekends] after 3 players have signed up.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:57:46 pm by Nerjin »
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Betting Pool: A game of deceit and Cooperation
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:43:22 pm »

In.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 09:46:27 pm »

Player List: 1 Player

Current Points in Circulation: 100
Current Pool: 0 Points

• Greatwyrmgold - 50 Points
  • Mastahcheese - 50 Points
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 06:26:13 pm by Nerjin »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:40 pm »

Reserved for the current vote-count and points in circulation.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:41 pm »

By the way, if we have 2 players at Step 6 it goes to an infinite loop.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:02 pm »

By the way, if we have 2 players at Step 6 it goes to an infinite loop.

That's my little way of trapping you all until the end of time.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:40 am »

I thought monopoly was already sadistic? (Its true!) Posting to watch.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 11:43:28 am »

Just as a question, is there any reason for a person who is not thief/observer to contribute more than one point. After all, the pot is split evenly regardless of what you put in it. So if you enter as few as possible, your profit margins are much larger.

((Solving this is quite easy. Just change evenly to proportionally to the amount contributed.))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 12:33:47 pm »

Just as a question, is there any reason for a person who is not thief/observer to contribute more than one point. After all, the pot is split evenly regardless of what you put in it. So if you enter as few as possible, your profit margins are much larger.

((Solving this is quite easy. Just change evenly to proportionally to the amount contributed.))
This is a good point.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 03:50:01 pm »

History of this Game:

I created a game based on a psychological experiment which worked pretty much like this, except without a thief or observer. The "secret" was discovered pretty much immediately.
Nerjin made The Betting Pool.
TBP died.
Then this happened.
Sig

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 06:52:55 pm »

I was actually thinking about that today actually. What I was thinking was to have each round require increasingly higher numbers of points. I dunno.