Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: D&D Neverwinter Open Beta  (Read 7693 times)

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D Neverwinter Open Beta
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 05:37:02 pm »

Euro here, but I'm on the mindflayer server.
Weird...can't find any information of server location.

I'm having a stab at making a genuine foundry quest. A good one, not one of those generic point you at nearby monsters and go kill them for reasons x and y, like most of the vanilla quests (wich I dislike). Trying to make my own town as part of the setting, but can't seem to make it look non artificial. This is pretty hard. :s
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe it'll look more lively with people in it...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 07:31:53 pm »

People would help, but it needs more stuff regardless. Street vendor stands, rubbish, something- only North Korea has that much level, empty paved area.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 08:41:19 pm »

Making the paved area into paths with trees or shrubs in between should help. If it's easy, maybe introduce some unevenness in the ground, too.

I've been wanting to do something with the Foundry too, but I want to think up a concept before I start building or else I won't finish anything. I should go and play around a bit to see what's possible... maybe that'll help.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »

Recently took this game up, made it to level 20 playing casually within a few days, and I'm not sure if it's the whole "new mmo" mentality, or if it's actually true, but the game seems to *feel* different than many MMOs I've played. Overall the cash shop doesn't seem to really make things pay to win, it just has mounts and companions and stuff, and even though a cash shop DOES make it easier to get money, it doesn't seem like so far it gives an absolute huge advantage. The only thing I can see is at endgame when upgrading armor to make uber endgame gear, people using the cash shop will have a huge advantage in making said upgrades not break... but even then, you end up spending a huge amount of money just for virtual gear that I could probably get by farming for less time than it took for you to get the money for the cash shop.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »

Even though it's a double post, I figured this counted as new enough to warrant it. Basically a huge exploit that allowed anyone any amount of Astral Diamonds (main currency in the game, also used to by Zen (cash shop money)) was found by the public, and it apparently has been going on since the very start of open beta. The economy of the game is now trash, and unless PW does a wipe of Neverwinter, I really don't see the game recovering any time soon... a huge divide has opened between people with millions of AD versus people that have almost nothing, and everything is so expensive now...
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2013, 08:05:51 pm »

Even though it's a double post, I figured this counted as new enough to warrant it. Basically a huge exploit that allowed anyone any amount of Astral Diamonds (main currency in the game, also used to by Zen (cash shop money)) was found by the public, and it apparently has been going on since the very start of open beta. The economy of the game is now trash, and unless PW does a wipe of Neverwinter, I really don't see the game recovering any time soon... a huge divide has opened between people with millions of AD versus people that have almost nothing, and everything is so expensive now...

The economy had a big problem before that. In that the Astral diamond currency is actually going down because it drains astral diamonds faster then you can earn it in game.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 08:17:52 pm »

I really don't see the game recovering any time soon.

open beta

Reset server when it goes live. Problem solved.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2013, 08:31:24 pm »

open beta

They can't do that. Not only have they said they wouldn't but because they already opened the money market it means they can be sued as well.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2013, 08:36:54 pm »

If they paid attention to their bug reports instead of waiting until issues became squeaky wheels, they could probably have fixed this before it blew up in their faces...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 08:41:32 pm »

They can't do that. Not only have they said they wouldn't but because they already
opened the money market it means they can be sued as well.

They'll still have records of anyone who paid money. So wipe the server when the game goes live, and immediately credit anyone who bought in-game currency with however much they bought.

Looking over the relevant official thread, it sounds like they're not going to do that. But...that it's even an issue seems silly. Resolving problems like this is exactly what beta tests are supposed to be for. If the game is live, people are paying for in-game currency and they're not going to wipe or rollback a massive server-wide game-breaking problem like this...why are they calling it a beta test?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:03 pm »

open beta

They can't do that. Not only have they said they wouldn't but because they already opened the money market it means they can be sued as well.

/point  /laugh

Also....http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/raiment
to.... http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/apocalypse
to... http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/untitled
to... http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/visitation
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 02:37:34 am »

Well this is a catastrophy, especially when you know it's been going on for a while now. Heck I even knew it was going on and I'm not one to really go looking for exploits. Soon we shall see the aftermath and wether or not this has permanently scarred the game.

Looking over the relevant official thread, it sounds like they're not going to do that. But...that it's even an issue seems silly. Resolving problems like this is exactly what beta tests are supposed to be for. If the game is live, people are paying for in-game currency and they're not going to wipe or rollback a massive server-wide game-breaking problem like this...why are they calling it a beta test?
Have to agree, if they're going to treat the current servers exactly the same way they would as if they're live then what is the point of calling it a beta. This is exactly the kind of problem that crops up in beta tests, and a server whipe is exactly the fix it needs. Either now or at launch, if they chose not to it goes to show how much they care about their playerbase and their game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 09:18:26 am »

They already had their closed Beta, pretty much this is their "official release" but they released it in Beta Status.

In other words it is what Sword of the Stars 2 did.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 02:53:48 pm »

goes to show how much they care about their playerbase and their game.

...apparently Cryptic Studios is the developer. I somehow missed that when I started checking this thread. My experience with Cryptic has been absolutely completely horrid. I've played a couple of their other games and they've  have all been horrendously bad and riddled with problems and bad decisions.

Amusingly, from reading through the official thread, not only is this a problem that was reported during closed beta, Star Trek Online had the same problem. So they had it happen in STO and fixed it, apparently re-used code and somehow rolled back the bug to make it active again, saw it reported during closed beta...and didn't fix it.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2013, 03:14:47 pm »

And in other fun news, they rolled back at least a day or so - I haven't checked their news for why they choose to do this, but it did wipe out a good four hours of work that I won't have the time to make back any time soon. I lost four levels or so, which is better then people who had lost ten or more. x_X
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4