Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau (OOC)  (Read 41501 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau (OOC)
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 08:13:51 am »

Im sure with time we can get a good rocket that will reliably launch and hit targets at 20km but if we want an artillery sub inside the next 2 years it will have to be based on a navel gun.

maybe the SPIA can redeem it self, its a 160mm cannon and the doors it shroud help with sealing the gun for diving.
Then again, it might be a bit to heavy. I believe the current iteration of the artillery sub uses a Naval defense cannon. Hence why it is so large.

But yeah, latter we might want to switch to a rocket submarine.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 08:26:50 am »

Well, I am basing the sub on a coastal defense gun intended to be used on ships later (it's short ranged for it's size... but that's even +, that means it is not that demanding on overpressure demands and quite light)  so we don't need to design new one but adapt it a bit to that unusual role (no reloading, no turning)

Yep, later when we'll have ballistic missiles we'll do what real world did and switch to that

Khan. some things from land warfare that would benefit us more than tanks
80mm dedicated AA guns:
80mm howitzers
100-120mm howitzers
Pillboxes\bunkers to secure our border ( While one can't  concentrate on forts to win wars, they make easier to defend one sector of front while our forces attack on another)
Early MRLS like Katyushas
Proper self-propelled howitzers
New firearms (like better 14mm sniper rifle)
Landmines

Also, you are trying to go so far ahead techwise, that it is almost cheating... Had you noted that 1 K-1 is as expensive as 12 badgers? How expensive will be that even bigger tank with the gun from 1960s?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:04 am »

Link to IC in the OP please? I'd like to check the game out.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 08:36:15 am »

BTW, did we design 80mm high velocity gun?  I don't remember
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 08:49:57 am »

BTW, did we design 80mm high velocity gun?  I don't remember

we were waiting for the 40mm high velocity to be done before we tried designing an 80mm.

It was on the board though.

And if you, as well as others, hadnt put it into the GM's mind to limit ideas to two per person per year, i WOULD be putting ideas forward for these:

80mm dedicated AA guns:
80mm howitzers
100-120mm howitzers
Pillboxes\bunkers to secure our border ( While one can't  concentrate on forts to win wars, they make easier to defend one sector of front while our forces attack on another)
Early MRLS like Katyushas
Proper self-propelled howitzers
New firearms (like better 14mm sniper rifle)
Landmines

but i cant, as i have to focus on 1 thing. and i want to refine the K-1 into a great all round tank. we can reduce cost later on, without sacrificing anything once it is completed.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 09:23:24 am »

As I said tanks for you are above everything else...

I can't agree with making a freaking 110mm tank gun
Also, Why do you want to fit two 400kw engines inside?

Basically your "refined" K-1 is T-34, with 2 times more horsepower and 3 times heavier gun
Also your refinements usually look like making new tanks from scratch

PS. Number your proposals in correct way

PPS: diesels have almost the same size as our second aviation engine, not the first one
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:30:28 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 09:31:38 am »

I didn't say not to build a navy, you lot are all doing that and I'll vote for the things that make sense to me.

I'm just focussing on special forces and infantry, why rely solely on meeting the enemy ship for ship when you can destroy the ships in the harbor first?
Both tactics work but combined they are more effective, if I sink say 5 subs with commando attacks thats 5 less subs attacking the fleet, if I damage the harbors thats less subs produced for a while.

Bombing tank factories, barracks, ambushing convoys, special forces can do massive damage with minamum manpower if you have the right equipment to go with them, so I'm focussing on that. 1-2 less players and 20 or so less engineers won't put a huge dent into production of other things but can give us more options.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 09:49:13 am »

I'm starting work on a mine now, I'd do AT as well but I think the radio is more important since our current one is huge and so relies on 1 man informing those around him of developments where as a much smaller one would allow everybody to carry one.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 10:04:13 am »

<snip>
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:51:57 am by kahn1234 »

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2013, 10:10:39 am »

Brood is on the sub this turn if he gets the votes.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:52 am »

Well, the Ethics thing and the badger are about making people vote for the ethics thing, because I doubt that I will get the votes for an international arms moratorium without taking it onto something good, like the badgers. So that has nothing to do with multiple proposals and everything to do with vote manipulation.
The modified badger proposal is for the modified badger proposal. I liked the idea of external machine guns positions, but Felt that it was a bit much for a light tank, so I mad the modified proposal, which is still valid under voting rules and lets folk choose which tank they want. And as awesome as the K-1 might be, and upgraded badger is really more practical for the current battlefield.
The anti-glare sights and the balloon really are just components on the destroyer. But I started with the idea for the sights so I made that the focus. As for the destroyer, well, we need something to help out our merchant fleet and I think that the worker's destroyer is the right ship for the current job. I would rather give it a 320mm gun to out0range everything, but that just isn't going to happen. I would like to give it the armour to take a few torpedoes, but you really have to pick either speed or armour, and speed seems preferable. Moree guns would be fun, but its deck is already going to be crowded. A twin turret would be nice, but it really isn't there to out-gun anything, and the one 169mm should be plenty for sinking subs at range and sinking merchant ships that refuse to surrender. Do long story short, Proposal 5 is just one design with a few different innovations, and proposal 4 is a design proposal and an ethical proposal, which really isn't as much as a design proposal, and the reasons for combining them have nothing to do with bypassing the proposal limit. And 4.1 Really is a legitimate modification of 4.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2013, 10:49:43 am »

Hmm, I was wondering how diesel-electric drives work in comparison to standard steam turbines. Should I really bother with 14, or should I try to get gas turbines invented early?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Brood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2013, 10:52:00 am »

Kahn we are visiting it, we just have other ideas.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2013, 10:53:58 am »

Kahn we are visiting it, we just have other ideas.

Well UR said we needed something in their areas, we didnt have any, so i made them.

Alexandria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 10:57:20 am »

If you don't mind Mesor then I'll give the AT mine a try.
Do we want a mine that will destroy the tank entirely or something that will just immobilize it?

That doesn't mean people are going to produce them this turn Kahn, or that you need to repeat the message in the main thread.
The darkness was eternal, all-powerful, unchangeable.
She had stared into it for to many years, alone and unblinking, determined that it would not take her.
Now it never would.
Now she was lighting a candle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 74