Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74

Author Topic: The revolutionary design bureau (OOC)  (Read 41508 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The revolutionary design bureau (OOC)
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:06:54 am »

Thread to reduce a clutter of IC topic

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125538.0
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:31:26 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The revolutionary design bureau (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:17 am »

This is for technology discussion and stuff, I assume.

So, stuff we might need: (Incomplete list)

1)Something to tow the Gliders.
2)Something to stop the subs, again
        -Bomb production facilities?
        -Deep sea mines?
3) Do something about that new Tank destroyer
4) Commence construction of airships

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 04:12:12 am »

I offer to go letter orderings for design (Or design + production)

And numbers for production\misc
That will allow to spread limited and unlimited proposals nicely

To ebbor

1) Heavy four engined bomber with defensive turret should do this and other jobs
2) Bombing is not a bad idea, but do our aircrafts can reach that far? I think with our new popular devotions, aircrafts and airships their subs will have a hard time... Maybe improve sonar, develop other sub detection stuff.
3) Build K-1s?
4) Sure

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:16:32 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:12:53 am »

Seems interesting.

1) If we're lucky, it can even reach far enough to bomb the enemy. Metal or wooden aircraft?
2) I don't know. The airships can certainly reach it, but well, I don't want to loose to many of them.
3) Should work, I suppose.
4) I doubt we can maintain more than a small fleet of them though. They are rather large, and storing is well, hard.

Edit: We need names for the airships. We won't use more than 4 variants (ASW, Carrier, Bomber*, Radar)

*This one is unlikely
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:33:08 am by 10ebbor10 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 05:21:18 am »

We won't use more than 4 variants (ASW, Carrier, Bomber*, Radar)

*This one is unlikely
That's the one you marked unlikely. Not carrier?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:25:36 am »

Airborne aircraft carriers are fairly usefull, if sometimes situational.

The problem with the airship is that's it's a support unit, not a frontline one. Dropping of a few small gliders or some fighters near enemy terretory works, but as UR said before, airship bombardements were not particulary effective. They tend to get shot down.

Besides, we don't need a dedicated bomber variant. The others can fill that role too.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:32:46 am »

Why did our government stop to build Patriotisms? I fill that can hurt us in a longer run , our aircrafts still use them... And tanks... And Hydras

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 05:37:09 am »

Dropping sure, but where will they land? Do you plan to build a runway on top of your airship? If there were any doubts before, I think now we have arrived into Diesel Punk territory. :P
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 05:42:40 am »

Some notes about that sub.

1) I'm not sure that allowing the tip of the cannon to come outside would be very good for it. Especially if the shell is already inserted. (Power getting wet is annoying, me thinks)
2) Do we have working electrical engines? Otherwise, our sub can't go underwater. (Unless we give it a Submarine snorkel that is)
3) I'd be best to limit the thing to one shot. Pretty sure that repeated fire would just snap it in two.

Dropping sure, but where will they land? Do you plan to build a runway on top of your airship? If there were any doubts before, I think now we have arrived into Diesel Punk territory. :P
This is real life technology, just so you know. Maybe a bit ahead(actually not. First prototype 1919), but anyway.

The gliders don't come back. Quite simple. The biplane fighters can either land at a normal airport, or hook back onto the craft. It's a tricky manoever, but not impossible.

Like this. Kinda.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:45:34 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 06:29:36 am »

1) Of cause, some barrel sealing mechanism is expected

2) We have a wreckage and plans, and obviously should try to reserve engineer as much from Morovian designs as possible,

including electrical engines

3) Well, I suppose some repairs will be conducted at port together with reloading

4) Basically I want a much smaller and compact version of this : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_M1

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:08:04 am »

Can we not just build a 300mm rocket with a shaped charge?
 it will be much cheaper to make due to not needing a high presser barrel.
by using a rocket we get much less recoil and save space.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:18:05 am »

@ Ram. I don't know if you're allowed to combine suggestions like that. It kinda undermines the entire voting system, and limit proposals thingy.

Because now you've crammed 5 designs in 2 slots.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:33:38 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 07:32:41 am »

+1 to above Yep, that is a clear gaming of the system

Funk
, such large rockets are quite far from what we have,
Also, they will be unreliable as hell and hard to reach 20kms ( Just look at ranges of early AT rockets and AT artillery)

Like how Khan1234 goes tanks, tanks and more tanks route. She reminds me some realworld USSR generals :D

Really we haven't even started production of K-1s =  let's develop three times better tank
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:40:29 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 08:08:10 am »

Im sure with time we can get a good rocket that will reliably launch and hit targets at 20km but if we want an artillery sub inside the next 2 years it will have to be based on a navel gun.

maybe the SPIA can redeem it self, its a 160mm cannon and the doors it shroud help with sealing the gun for diving.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 08:08:24 am »

+1 to above Yep, that is a clear gaming of the system

Funk
, such large rockets are quite far from what we have,
Also, they will be unreliable as hell and hard to reach 20kms ( Just look at ranges of early AT rockets and AT artillery)

Like how Khan1234 goes tanks, tanks and more tanks route. She reminds me some realworld USSR generals :D

Really we haven't even started production of K-1s =  let's develop three times better tank

Land warfare is all i really know.....

I dont know enough about Ships, planes, airchips, gliders or the like to contribute anything relevant.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 74