Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: You are rebuilding Civilization [Suggestion game]  (Read 7539 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
You are rebuilding Civilization [Suggestion game]
« on: May 09, 2013, 03:30:40 am »

6 March 2074:

For decades, the world has been at war. A fight not for honour or freedom, but for the few resources still left on the once precious blue planet earth. The world has been divided in 4 different factions: The American Alliance, composed of North and Latin America; The Asian People's Federation, consisting of Asia and most of Africa, and led by the Chinese empire; Russia, which stands alone; And the EuroAustralian Union, which struggles to maintain it's neutrality. These days , the wars aren't fought with tanks, planes and soldiers, but with diseases, sabotage, and covert operations. The costs in human life hasn't changed.

However, no winner emerged, and as the remaining supplies became ever scarces, tensions reached ever higher. Today, barely half an hour, a fast meteorite entered American airspace. Fearing a Nuclear attack, a nuclear counterstrike was launched immediatly. When they noticed the mistake, it was to late. The missiles had already been detected, and fire was being returned. The world would burn, turning to ashes, and there was nothing you could do but watch.

At that moment you hurried everyone towards your nuclear shelter, located in
-North America: Many Nuclear detonations, infertile, few genediseases, many technological relics, Low pop
-South America: Medium amount of Nuclear detonations, fertile, few genediseases, few technological relics, low pop
-Europe: Few Nuclear detonations, Infertile, Many genediseases, many tech relics, Heavily populated
-Africa: Medium amount of nuclear detonations, normal ground, few genediseases , few tech relics, Medium pop
-Russia: Many Nuclear detonations, Normal ground (though often frozen), no genediseases spread(cold), medium tech relics, Deserted
-Asia: Many Nuclear detonations, fertile, few genediseases, many tech relics, medium populated
-Australia: No nuclear detonations, unfertile, many gene diseases, medium tech relics, deserted

You've chosen this bunker because of it's proximity to a:
-Hydraulic dam
-Mines
-Nuclear power plant
-Special labratory
-Military base
-Something else

Luckily you won't have to worry about these nuclear detonations nor their after effects, as your bunker is equiped with experimental cryo technology, allowing you to sleep through the entire aftermatch. It wasn't cheap, but you could afford it because you're an important
-General
-Pop star
-Politician
-Engineer
-Scientist
-Something else

However, something went wrong. You realize this as you're rudelu thrown out of you're cryopod into the barely lighted changing room. The automated computer system is still online however, and has started to ask you questions, in order to screen you for brain damage.

"What's your name?"
- Gen Eric
- Apple
- Something else

After you have answered his questions satisfactory, the computer gives you your clothes and gear , before urging you out of the room. In the corridor, you meet with your puzzled fellows, who you personally selected to help you recolonize the world. There are 100 of them and you remember their primary professions, for which you hired them.
-X Scientist
-Y Soldiers
-Z Farmers
-W Builders
-V Others

Stats and more information will be added after the descicions have been made.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: You are rebuilding Civilization [Suggestion game]
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:44:51 am »

North America
Mines
Pop star
Justin Bieber Rebecca Black
-10 Scientist
-40 Soldiers
-10 Farmers
-40 Builders
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:51:11 am »

Australia
Circus
Clown
Al Cappucino
-5 Scientists
-5 Soldiers
-5 Farmers
-5 Builders
-80 Clowns

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 05:56:39 am »

Posting to watch.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:04:29 am »

-Australia
- Apple farm
-Apple
-Apple
- Apple Apples, Apple Apples, Apple Apples, and 1 Applenese to English translator
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 06:33:21 am »

North America
Mines
Pop star
-10 Scientist
-40 Soldiers
-10 Farmers
-40 Builders

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:35:49 am »

ooh, i was in the last one of these :) -- http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101356.msg3422686#msg3422686

i vote for Aart Bluestoke, a world famous scientist (or engineer, if thats getting votes). He actually helped design/build some parts of the cryo-bunker, which is adjacent to his Science Lab Secret Research Facility. His speciality is low energy-high tech (like the stuff the cryo pods are made out of, not simple stuff like combustion engines :p).

So, any votes for a re-inforced nuclear bunker (ie, the bunker is the special thing) which we never end up getting into :p

knowing we had time to prepair for this, and expecting a relativly peaceful world, and a need to rebuild, we had:

10 soldiers (easily enough to keep the wild animals off 100 people)
25 scientists - there will be a large need to design/re-create technologies from scratch
30 engineers - once the nearby X is repaired, keeping the tech running will be hard
20 farmers - at subsistence levels, 20% of the work-force in farming is perhaps a little optimistic, but we have knowledge, and good quality seeds.
10 builders - we assume we can get more help from other survivors around us
5 medics - given the state of disease warfare, we will need several highly trained medical personnel to deal with biological issues that may have arisen in the time we were asleep.

(note: no meta-gaming here. if i *knew* we are waking up unexpectedly, i'd want more soldiers and builders, but where's the challenge in that)

Edit: location ...
first thoughts: Russia, Australia, or Asia seem to be reasonable places to have a research lab in moderate secrecy.

i'd prefer to not be in either "Infertile", "Many genediseases", "High Population" - the first leads to spending all the time trying to feed ourselves, rather than rebuilding civ, the latter 2 would have us spend all our time fighting biology, or playing politics.

remaining locations are
-South America: Medium amount of Nuclear detonations, fertile, few genediseases, few technological relics, low pop
-Africa: Medium amount of nuclear detonations, normal ground, few genediseases , few tech relics, Medium pop
-Russia: Many Nuclear detonations, Normal ground (though often frozen), no genediseases spread(cold), medium tech relics, Deserted
-Asia: Many Nuclear detonations, fertile, few genediseases, many tech relics, medium populated

Not sure on the tech front - we won't have many resources to begin with, so having more around us would be useful...

I vote Russia because we're going to have so much fun with only what we can make ourselves, and 6 months of little food growth until we can get some energy going :)

Failing that, the last game in South America worked quite well - a nice mix of challenges from both people and nature.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:48:12 am by andy_t_roo »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:40:58 am »

Russia
Military base
General
-5 Scientist
-40 Soldiers
-10 Farmers
-30 Builders
-10 Pilots(drivers)
-5 Artillerist
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Jembot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:45:31 am »

ptw
You people are insane.
Hello there, we're Bay12! So pleased to meet you!

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 06:51:00 am »

North America
Mines
Pop star
-10 Scientist
-40 Soldiers
-10 Farmers
-40 Builders
Everyone a critic.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 07:06:07 am »

ooh, i was in the last one of these :) -- http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101356.msg3422686#msg3422686

i vote for Aart Bluestoke, a world famous scientist (or engineer, if thats getting votes). He actually helped design/build some parts of the cryo-bunker, which is adjacent to his Science Lab Secret Research Facility. His speciality is low energy-high tech (like the stuff the cryo pods are made out of, not simple stuff like combustion engines :p).

So, any votes for a re-inforced nuclear bunker (ie, the bunker is the special thing) which we never end up getting into :p

knowing we had time to prepair for this, and expecting a relativly peaceful world, and a need to rebuild, we had:

10 soldiers (easily enough to keep the wild animals off 100 people)
25 scientists - there will be a large need to design/re-create technologies from scratch
30 engineers - once the nearby X is repaired, keeping the tech running will be hard
20 farmers - at subsistence levels, 20% of the work-force in farming is perhaps a little optimistic, but we have knowledge, and good quality seeds.
10 builders - we assume we can get more help from other survivors around us
5 medics - given the state of disease warfare, we will need several highly trained medical personnel to deal with biological issues that may have arisen in the time we were asleep.

(note: no meta-gaming here. if i *knew* we are waking up unexpectedly, i'd want more soldiers and builders, but where's the challenge in that)

Edit: location ...
first thoughts: Russia, Australia, or Asia seem to be reasonable places to have a research lab in moderate secrecy.

i'd prefer to not be in either "Infertile", "Many genediseases", "High Population" - the first leads to spending all the time trying to feed ourselves, rather than rebuilding civ, the latter 2 would have us spend all our time fighting biology, or playing politics.

remaining locations are

Not sure on the tech front - we won't have many resources to begin with, so having more around us would be useful...

I vote Russia because we're going to have so much fun with only what we can make ourselves, and 6 months of little food growth until we can get some energy going :)

Failing that, the last game in South America worked quite well - a nice mix of challenges from both people and nature.

+1

I'd say South America
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:08:14 am by kahn1234 »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 07:07:14 am »

+1 for andy_t_roo's suggestion.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:58 am »

-Australia
- Apple farm
-Apple
-Apple
- Apple Apples, Apple Apples, Apple Apples, and 1 Applenese to English translator
Sigh.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 11:42:07 am »

Australia
Circus
Clown
Al Cappucino
-5 Scientists