Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: You are rebuilding Civilization [Suggestion game]  (Read 7536 times)

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: You are rebuilding Civilization [Suggestion game]
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 11:45:10 am »

ooh, i was in the last one of these :) -- http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101356.msg3422686#msg3422686

i vote for Aart Bluestoke, a world famous scientist (or engineer, if thats getting votes). He actually helped design/build some parts of the cryo-bunker, which is adjacent to his Science Lab Secret Research Facility. His speciality is low energy-high tech (like the stuff the cryo pods are made out of, not simple stuff like combustion engines :p).

So, any votes for a re-inforced nuclear bunker (ie, the bunker is the special thing) which we never end up getting into :p

knowing we had time to prepair for this, and expecting a relativly peaceful world, and a need to rebuild, we had:

10 soldiers (easily enough to keep the wild animals off 100 people)
25 scientists - there will be a large need to design/re-create technologies from scratch
30 engineers - once the nearby X is repaired, keeping the tech running will be hard
20 farmers - at subsistence levels, 20% of the work-force in farming is perhaps a little optimistic, but we have knowledge, and good quality seeds.
10 builders - we assume we can get more help from other survivors around us
5 medics - given the state of disease warfare, we will need several highly trained medical personnel to deal with biological issues that may have arisen in the time we were asleep.

(note: no meta-gaming here. if i *knew* we are waking up unexpectedly, i'd want more soldiers and builders, but where's the challenge in that)

Edit: location ...
first thoughts: Russia, Australia, or Asia seem to be reasonable places to have a research lab in moderate secrecy.

i'd prefer to not be in either "Infertile", "Many genediseases", "High Population" - the first leads to spending all the time trying to feed ourselves, rather than rebuilding civ, the latter 2 would have us spend all our time fighting biology, or playing politics.

remaining locations are
-South America: Medium amount of Nuclear detonations, fertile, few genediseases, few technological relics, low pop
-Africa: Medium amount of nuclear detonations, normal ground, few genediseases , few tech relics, Medium pop
-Russia: Many Nuclear detonations, Normal ground (though often frozen), no genediseases spread(cold), medium tech relics, Deserted
-Asia: Many Nuclear detonations, fertile, few genediseases, many tech relics, medium populated

Not sure on the tech front - we won't have many resources to begin with, so having more around us would be useful...

I vote Russia because we're going to have so much fun with only what we can make ourselves, and 6 months of little food growth until we can get some energy going :)

Failing that, the last game in South America worked quite well - a nice mix of challenges from both people and nature.

I'd go for South America or Asia.

+1 all of this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 11:48:29 am by Gamerboy4life »
I need to put something interesting here.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:10 pm »

Europe
Dam
Scientist
Dr. I Don't Care Much About the Name (just prefix it with an appropriate title).
25 scientists, 15 soldiers, 40 farmers, 15 builders, 5 engineers
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 03:29:10 am »

Scandinavia: 2104 AD: Early Spring

When you leave the main corridor, you notice that the lights are eerily dim.  The ventilation systems are not functioning, and the air is becoming hard to breath. Everyone crowds towards the elevator, carrying whatever they could grab from the bunkers stores. As soon as everyone's on board, the doors close, and the elevator sets itself in motion. The ride up reveals what's gone wrong. The concrete of elevator shaft is cracked, and ice has started to form on the inside. If the computer had waited any longer to revive you, you might have needed to swim up. Seconds after you contemplate this, the elevators shudders and rudely comes to a halt. Climbing the last few floors on your own, you notice the extent of the damage. The entire shaft has been damaged, and has partly collapsed. Luckily, the staircases are still intact, and you slowly make your way upwards.

The cold hits you as you move upwards. Most of the base has been covered in a thin layer of snow. The buildings are in disrepair, the fence has been almost trampled. Of the military base that once stood here, little survived. The labratory is in a better state, but only marginally. The White empty steppes stretch out in every direction, and there's no living soul to be seen.

Spoiler: People (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The base (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 04:20:56 am »

(i assume we ended up building the bunker in russia then?)

and you just wanted to dump us in the middle of a frozen wasteland with only 10 builders ...

you mean-GM-you :p

anyway, Maslow's hierarchy of needs says we probably care about physiological issues at the moment,"Air, water, and food are metabolic requirements for survival in all animals, including humans. Clothing and shelter provide necessary protection from the elements. "

1) we need shelter, we'll freeze in a few hours
2) we need water, we'll dehydrate in a day or 2
3) we need shelter, general weather will destroy anything we have, including our health in a short while
4) we need food, or we'll starve in a 6 weeks of food + 1 month ....

combining 1 and 2 will be the challenge... Can we assume that everyone is in reasonably warm clothing, such that freezing isn't an immediate concern?

1) split into groups of 10, include a soldier, a scientist, and an engineer in each group, everyone should scout the lab, looking for
a) anything not-destroyed (identifying what it actually is, and testing it's functionality comes later, this is just run around, stick your head into each room, note locked doors for later inspection).
b) somewhere warm/sheltered
c) things to hold/carry/move other things (buckets/tanks/containers/anything with wheels on it) -- wheelie bins?

each group of 10 should focus on a different building, and split up a bit more, with the soldier on point, and small groups of people checking out rooms.

Downstairs in the administrative building would be a good place to start; upstairs is only worth it if you can see from the outside that the windows are intact, otherwise there's no shelter up there.

1 group should investigate if there is a sheltered area in the first floor of the bunker we just exited - i'm sure there would of been an a main entrance to the bunker, followed by a set of primary blast doors -- that could be somewhere initially, out of the wind.

so, the farmers brought food, only 1/2 the soldiers managed to pick up their weapon? -- what type of soldier goes to a store room in the middle of an emergency evacuation and doesn't grab a rifle *and* a hand gun ...

I'd like to assume that a few of the scientists thought to bring their i-pad like devices, almost everyone has a mobile phone of some type, a couple of the engineers grabbed a small generator, and a small solar powered battery recharger. Those would of been near the top of the list of important things, and we would have had basic training on survival, given the purpose of the bunker ...

((
Whats the world going to come to if we can't get our hands on a copy of wikipedia to learn the correct temperature to produce Tungsten sulfide at? (Reduction of ammonium tetrathiotungstate ((NH4)2WS4) at ~1300 °C in a flow of hydrogen gas [1])

(not that i ever expect to actually do that, but it's amazing what you can find on wikipedia when you go looking for obscure, but almost usefull facts :D))

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 04:43:01 am »

You can assume people have decent clothes

so, the farmers brought food, only 1/2 the soldiers managed to pick up their weapon? -- what type of soldier goes to a store room in the middle of an emergency evacuation and doesn't grab a rifle *and* a hand gun ...
The ones who find that the armory doors have been pneumatically sealed, and that the locks are unresponsive. Same for why the others didn't grab generators and other interesting stuff. The stuff you did get was left in the main hallway.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 05:00:14 am by 10ebbor10 »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 04:46:10 am »

I'd like to assume that a few of the scientists thought to bring their i-pad like devices, almost everyone has a mobile phone of some type
If the world has been destroyed by nuclear (and biological?) way, what are the chances the mobile networks still operate? a flat 0 is perhaps too low, but I feel that even 1% is overly optimistic.
a couple of the engineers grabbed a small generator, and a small solar powered battery recharger. Those would of been near the top of the list of important things
We have 40 resources, some of them are likely high-tech thingies.
we would have had basic training on survival, given the purpose of the bunker
Stop trying to get free stuff and play the game.

Anyway, +1 on the search thing. But send 1 group down into the bunker (ask for volunteers) to look for more stuff, which we're bound to have left there. If anyone know where stuff is, make a plan beforehand to grab important stuff first (like maybe those Ipads and generators andy_t_roo wants)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 04:59:15 am »

I'd like to assume that a few of the scientists thought to bring their i-pad like devices, almost everyone has a mobile phone of some type
If the world has been destroyed by nuclear (and biological?) way, what are the chances the mobile networks still operate? a flat 0 is perhaps too low, but I feel that even 1% is overly optimistic.
I dunno, but did Siberia have mobile networks in the first place. It's kinda large, after all.

a couple of the engineers grabbed a small generator, and a small solar powered battery recharger. Those would of been near the top of the list of important things
We have 40 resources, some of them are likely high-tech thingies.
Nope. Resources is just an abstracted construction material. Nothing high tech.

In any case, what's the chance of Ipad/pod thingies surviving for a good 30 years. I mean, Apple's focusing on design, not durability.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 05:05:38 am »

In any case, what's the chance of Ipad/pod thingies surviving for a good 30 years. I mean, Apple's focusing on design, not durability.
Apple focuses on selling overpriced crap to overrich idiots. On the other hand, satellites with DOS installed easily survive the space, which is definitely more hostile than wherever whatever electronics we have are.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 05:10:25 am »

yeah, "resource" is "shed is 8 resources", "fixing that kitchen is 3" -- later it'll probably become differentiated into metal and wood, then further into other stuff as we actually set up workshops to make stuff.

we would have had basic training on survival, given the purpose of the bunker
Stop trying to get free stuff and play the game.

I was, thats why i posted the "i think it would be a good idea to do" stuff first ...
I don't normally meta-game, but trying to justify why something should happen a certain favourable way isn't a bad thing -- i'm sure ebbor will quite happily let us forget to find a container, then point out "so how are you going to get that back to your base" :)

speaking of which, Add "recreational area/gym", and "clear plastic" to the list of things to search for - both would be quite useful.

ebbor: "i-pod like device" -- if you're going into hibernation, you'd organize something that'd last until you came out ...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 05:13:53 am »

ebbor: "i-pod like device" -- if you're going into hibernation, you'd organize something that'd last until you came out ...
Oh , those things.

Those are all in the climate controlled storage area. Which is, at this point, located a good 300 meters below you, as well as locked behind a heavy pneumatic door.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 05:34:45 am »

What sort of chemical supplies do we have? If we have to, we can blow doors open.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 05:52:43 am »

What sort of chemical supplies do we have? If we have to, we can blow doors open.
None.

Keep in mind, the doors are 300 meters below you, in a pitch black nonventilated Nuclear bunker.

The hangar, labs and other places have quite a lot of decent stuff though.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 06:03:28 am »

That's why we're exploring them. As for the locked doors, if we all got out, then we can get in. Once there, we can search the not-locked-out part of the bunker for useful stuff we didn't find the first time. sending a small group is essential to not use up all the air. Also, until we find a way to ventilate, there will be absolutely no fire in the bunker (if we really can't see, we can wait until a flashlight or future equivalent is found)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 03:37:56 pm »

Lemme translate that from GMese for you:

"You're not going to be going back in the bunker for a while, not at least until you fix its major issues and maybe supply it with power, and anyways most of the stuff in there would be of fairly marginal use at the moment, so don't bother trying just yet."
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 03:41:33 pm »

Lemme translate that from GMese for you:

"You're not going to be going back in the bunker for a while, not at least until you fix its major issues and maybe supply it with power, and anyways most of the stuff in there would be very usefull at the moment, hence why I'm not letting you have it."
Almost.

Working on turn update btw.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5