Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Farm for your Life  (Read 3504 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm for your Life
« on: May 08, 2013, 02:20:00 pm »

A new(?) game about farming in a zombie apocalypse with cute Animal Crossing-esque graphics. You can buy it for $10 or through a viral marketing effort, earn yourself a copy for free. I bought it but haven't had enough time yet to really offer a review. Will check back later.

http://www.farmforyourlife.com/about.html
Only a simple mind can be certain.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Farm for your Life
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 02:22:27 pm »

RPS's article on this confused the shit out of me. They titled it "Plants vs. Zombies: Farm For Your Life."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »

I don't like the looks of their "marketing" sceme.
Too much spamming and advertising involved.
They could as well have put it up on Facebook.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 02:29:08 pm »

RPS's article on this confused the shit out of me. They titled it "Plants vs. Zombies: Farm For Your Life."

Yeah, it was a tad confusing, however, the headline is more precisely "Plant vs Zombies", which is kinda, sorta smart.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 02:48:47 pm »

Yes, it's basically a light farming simulator with a zombie fighting mechanic that you can choose to opt in or out of. It's a decent casual game and it's still being developed. It's a little light on gameplay for the $10 price point but it's definitely got some potential as a time waster.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »

I don't like the looks of their "marketing" sceme. Too much spamming and advertising involved. They could as well have put it up on Facebook.

I don't find myself personally responding to it, but it's kind of an interesting move. Unless posting on the forums is a means to get unlimited XP, then you're limited to 3 free points, with the remainder from buying/referring new buyers. Nothing too interesting here, until you scroll down the page where it has a tier-system where the dev'll do stuff/give additional rewards based on the amount of xp you acquire. Refer ~40 buyers? You get to design an item! Refer ~150? They make a little figurine of your character and send it to you. (Unless I'm misunderstanding it.)

To me, it gives off an Avon-meets-Kickstarter vibe to it.

...Okay, I admit, my personal opinion of it declining as I'm writing this post. Still, an interesting idea.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »

I don't like the looks of their "marketing" sceme.
Too much spamming and advertising involved.
They could as well have put it up on Facebook.

Ditto.  I hate this kind of stuff.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »

Marketing is a tough world right now. The millennial generation dislikes traditional marketing, dislikes innovative marketing, dislikes integrated marketing, and is distrustful of word of mouth references. It will be interesting when either a company has a breakthrough strategy or companies just give up en masse and just let individuals randomly discover or miss every product.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:46:13 pm »

We, the current generation, are notoriously hard to please.

"No, I don't want to hear about your product."

A month later: "Why haven't I heard about this product?!"
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:17:13 pm »

We, the current generation, are notoriously hard to please.

"No, I don't want to hear about your product."

A month later: "Why haven't I heard about this product?!"
The reason we don't want to hear about whatever products in the first place, is because we have been excessively bombarded by all kinds of ads all our lives.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 06:25:04 pm »

I watch the family channel and its shows aren't good with Disney shows like Hannah Montana and I get made fun of for watching the show.

Yet the reason I watch it, well ignoring the rare few good shows, is because there are absolutely no advertisements to interrupt the show and often the only thing blatantly advertised are other shows.

Do they want to hype a popstar? They don't tell you how great they are, they just show a music video between episodes.

There is a genuine interest in being free from sales pitch, advertisements, and this constant product yammering in your ear. It is why people fight so hard not to have advertisements in elementary school. It is something that in College/University I actually miss as the advertisements are out of control. People will stop you in the hall and stop you to give you salespitch.

STOP IT STOP IT AHHH!

Anyhow that was just something to add to what Ultimuh said.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:26:56 pm by Neonivek »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:31:34 pm »

TBH, I prefer word of mouth recommendations because you can query the source without getting fed a lot of marketing speak. Even a live marketing professional, you can talk to them and cut straight through their BS sales pitch...or at least force them to go off script for a second?

Online? You're just another page hit, another Like among thousands,  who cares what you think or what you say.

My problem with NUvertising is that it's now always associated with sites that also want as much data on me as possible. You can't separate a lot of marketing from that reality now. So I treat my online activity like a commodity; I don't give it away for free anymore. If Toady One started asked his fans to "Like" him on Facebook, I wouldn't do that either.

I'm to the point now where I can't help but see the elephant standing behind a lot of marketing, rubbing its two front hoofs together. If someone wants to run their own site and sell ads there, cool, that's their prerogative. The question of data mining and collecting metrics and selling data to advertisers is something that can at least be debated. But using FB as an intermediary has an implicit cost, that of being part of FB and contributing to it, that there's no arguing with.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 07:54:25 pm »

Yeah I never advertise a product FOR a company.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:36:49 pm »

This doesn't look like farming during a zombie apocalypse, this looks like gardening during a zombie apocalypse. :P
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 06:03:34 am »

My main question about this game, which doesn't seem to be answered on their rather bare-bones about page, is is there any procedural generation? Or is the map a static, set thing?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: [1] 2