Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What now?  (Read 1558 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: What now?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 01:20:30 pm »

Any burrows active? Also, try removing the plot and building it again.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:53:52 pm »

I've figured it out. Part of the underground farm is in light or above ground, while the rest is underground. Odd, because I've already built a floor over the holes I used in irrigating the plot. It's working now, by not including the tiles that are "light".

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 03:31:38 am »

'Above ground' is not governed by current access to sunlight; excavating all native floor over it turns a tile 'above ground light' forever, there's no changing it back. And on such tiles, subterranean plants will not grow. A mixed above/below ground farm plot will at best be partially planted, you should rearrange the plots so that they're completely above or below ground.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 05:23:59 am »

'Above ground' is not governed by current access to sunlight; excavating all native floor over it turns a tile 'above ground light' forever, there's no changing it back. And on such tiles, subterranean plants will not grow. A mixed above/below ground farm plot will at best be partially planted, you should rearrange the plots so that they're completely above or below ground.

Yep. That's it. Fixed.

Also, would you guys mind if I made this a question and answer thread? Where I can ask anything, without making new topics.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 09:31:15 am »

There's the DF Q&A already. The answers provided there are helpful to every random guy actually going through the effort of looking for answers before asking the question. So if you ask there, the answers provided will be helpful to everyone, not just you :)
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 09:44:55 am »

wall-off-the-cavern.  then, make that wall a fortification.  cave spiders will get through, and make silk for you.  i personally have a bunch of draw bridges and such in the caverns so i may capture creatures and fight, but fighting on TWO fronts is very hard, especially 4.  i've found it impossible to fight on all 3 cavern layers, and the surface.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 10:26:37 am »

Personally I breach the caverns from the ceiling, from outside. That's the third thing I do usually (read: not in a glacier/ocean/killer desert/reanimating biome), after digging the trap corridor and the farm plots. In order to do that conveniently, I use DFhack's reveal.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

firsal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 08:21:58 pm »

Thanks for the help, but the fort fell. FB. The militia fought bravely, but it was too powerful. I forgot to get a screen shot, so their struggle will never be immortalized. Oh well. Time for a new fort!

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 09:54:04 pm »

Only 2 dwarves lost in your first goblin ambush?
Not bad!

Cage trap spam, and/or steel-armor (or at least steel helmets) for everyone, and change the military schedule to have groups of 2-3 dwarves assigned to training, as if it's set to 10, training will never even start unless the squad is full.
I watched so many let's plays and tutorials, that whenever I first started playing, I had started a successful fortress within the first 5 tries. I still have the 5th one. It has now been running for 75 years. I don't even know how many sieges have gone by, but I do remember one thing;
When my 3rd mega-beast attacked, It was very mad. It decided to take out 7 of my Dorfs who had steel armor and candy axes. It was made out of STEEL. My Candy weapons couldn't do that much to it, until my squad leader got his arm crunched which pissed him off and he hit him in the head. Which killed the Steel Giant Raven who spat acid. Pretty creepy. It also changed the age into the Age of Heroes. I also had a large bumblebee attack me during the first 13 years, and I actually had hit it in mid-air with a ballista. It was probably the most favorite thing about that fort except when I was sieged by a necro, gobos and after that elves. It was funny because Gobos came first, and then the Necromancer came and rose them up. Thank god for silver warhammers! I defeated all of them and then apparently I took out the necromancer as well. Then the elves came not 30 seconds after everybody got in the hospital. I rallied of the axe dwarfs and marksdwarfs. Their armor didn't stand a chance! I don't really know what to do anymore in that fort. I don't play it much anymore.
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?
Pages: 1 [2]