Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Sims 4 - Announced for 2014  (Read 3766 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Sims 4 - Announced for 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 05:16:44 pm »

Agh, I will be happy if they don't innovate at all, and it's just TS3 bugfixed.

I would sooner see EA bankrupt then I will see EA actually fix all the TS3 bugs.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 05:18:24 pm »

Agh, I will be happy if they don't innovate at all, and it's just TS3 bugfixed.

I would sooner see EA bankrupt then I will see EA actually fix all the TS3 bugs.
Of course. Its just incredibly annoying that i can only play for a week or two ingame before i hit a gamebreaker.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 05:20:03 pm »

It is also incredibly annoying that I can actually hit bugs from World Adventures, the first expansion, that are still not fixed even though knowledge of them is widespread.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 05:25:49 pm »

It is also incredibly annoying that I can actually hit bugs from World Adventures, the first expansion, that are still not fixed even though knowledge of them is widespread.
It took them nine months to fix the gamebreaker in the normal version where all your sims would be miserable.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 05:27:47 pm »

Most of it stems from the fact that the Sims team is underfunded, understaffed, and overworked.

The other part of it is that the game they created has a terrible engine for modification.

Which I don't blame the Sims team for how terrible their bugs are, I blame EA because they decided not to give their game the support a project of their size requires.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 04:57:11 pm »

If EA is to maim the sims 4 as badly as it did with simcity 2013 we can expect no build mode and house DLC...  :P
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 05:04:22 pm »

If EA is to maim the sims 4 as badly as it did with simcity 2013 we can expect no build mode and house DLC...  :P
For the love of everything, don't give them any ideas! D:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 05:06:59 pm »

For the love of everything, don't give them any ideas! D:

Please, clearly you guys are thinking small. Here is how EA can ruin The Sims 4

First of all it has to have a high-DLC base and thus exclude many features from the base game. Thus making the game somewhat of a shallow experience and simply offer the DLC within the game structure itself (like they now do with The Sims 3... though you can turn it off)

Essentially making The Sims 4 feel like a Free-to-play MMORPG except single player and alone with its constant harassment of DLC.

Frankly, I half expect it. In The Sims 3 they made an irremovable huge DLC button that is gold (by the by, there are TWO DLC buttons in the sims 3)

Linenoise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 05:10:55 pm »

Considering it...  I go prefab or barebones myself. 

But, from what I figure...  house/building design in the Sims is the same as spaceship design in space games like Aurora and Fortress design in Dorf Fort...  It ain't for everyone, but some of us will willingly spend the hours to do it.  Probably more so for the mainstream audience...

Also, Awesomemod is best Sims mod.

I'm one of those home designers. I guess it is the interior designer in me that is screaming to get out but I often found that the building of a house and designing it's interiors was one of the most enjoyable parts to The Sims (for me).

My biggest complaint about the game is that your Sims do not really have enough time in a day to do all the normal things (eat, sleep, poop, shower, and work) and still have any amount of time to do anything extra. I get that time is supposed to be managed like a resource but I, personally,  always felt a tad bit too rushed.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 01:48:14 am »

The thing is, you don't need to work.  It is often just a means to an end, that is, fulfilling your life's ambitions.

You can be a beach bum if you really want to; you can live off the profits of gardening, even from the beginning.  An artist/sculptur can easily create art for food, etc.

It is too easy to become a millionaire and not work.  I often don't bother getting jobs for any of my sims, and if they have a life-goal of being a top-surgeon, or whatever, I use a mod to change it to something else.  In later expansions, EA gave you the ability to chose you life-goal, so meh.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 01:49:35 am »

In later expansions, EA gave you the ability to chose you life-goal, so meh

No that was always there since the second game I believe. The third had that with the base game as well.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 02:11:29 am »

Well, I pretty much played just one Sim from the start, just thought it was a later development.

The best possible combination of games was base plus World Adventures.  I was happy with nothing more than that.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 02:29:54 am »

The best possible combination of games was base plus World Adventures.  I was happy with nothing more than that

It really depends on the person, since in my mind World Adventures isn't the "best" expansion but at the same time the "best" expansion is the one most fun for the player.

But in terms of general expansion quality I'd probably put Ambitions as the best.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 02:51:33 am »

The thing is, you don't need to work.  It is often just a means to an end, that is, fulfilling your life's ambitions.

You can be a beach bum if you really want to; you can live off the profits of gardening, even from the beginning.  An artist/sculptur can easily create art for food, etc.

It is too easy to become a millionaire and not work.  I often don't bother getting jobs for any of my sims, and if they have a life-goal of being a top-surgeon, or whatever, I use a mod to change it to something else.  In later expansions, EA gave you the ability to chose you life-goal, so meh.

I feel it's because they wanted Sims 3 to be more "fun" and "enjoyable". The original Sims became a slog because you had little time for anything waking up and going to work. Sims 2 handled that a bit better, by removing some of the more annoying needs and giving you some more wriggle room.

Then 3 came along and actually had proper weekends, and not every job being every single day, meaning you actually had days off like in real life. Sure, it's not too hard to actually have a character get by on being self-employed, but it's still fun. I always liked Sims more when I didn't need to struggle to keep all the various Needs up and could actually focus on developing my Sim, and 3 did that a lot better then 1 or 2, I feel.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2013, 02:56:43 am »

The sims 3 actually has some worse slog problems especially if you try to travel or train certain skills.

What really makes it looser is the fact that they extrapolated a lot of the gameplay elements that used to be prevailing. For example there was no longer a need for filling food anymore because a food quality moodlet was added (Honestly they should have done both). They wanted Sims not to starve to death if they didn't feed them so they made the starvation timer longer.

What about a Sim's need for good environment? Well now it is just a moodlet and no longer a need.

It wasn't so much that they wanted to make the game looser, I have a feeling it just became that as they moved over to the moodlet system.

As well some aspects became looser and easier when the design philosophy changed. For example moving jobs to performance made it easier to get to the top tiers of jobs without reaching the skill requirements they would usually have. It wasn't because they wanted jobs to be easier it was because they wanted performance to feel like it mattered.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:02:07 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4