Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Cube Land (Or: You are a Miner)  (Read 3256 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Cube Land (Or: You are a Miner)
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »

Build a large tower mob spawner with all the stone.

Instead, work on defenses and a forge. Also cut wood for charcoal.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 10:44:50 am »

start breeding the cows, then slaughter some for their meat and leather.
Think about the (U)ses of meat and leather. ((you have NEI installed, right?))

Should no cows or wheat be available just hunt the creatures of the night for their very bones.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:48:45 am by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 02:14:02 pm »

Journal Day 5:
Well, after working through the night and most of the day, I think I've made some pretty good progress on my base here. A new guard post in the walls, stone brick forge, and some extra protection along the top of the wall (Hopefully it'll stop any more spiders from getting over...) were all finished before nightfall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I also used the first of the wheat grown to lure a couple of cows closer to the walls, but had to make a break for it when more skeletons showed up. With any luck they'll still be there in the morning so I can set up a real pen for them.
Now, what can I actually do with all this stuff I've been collecting? The iron is easy enough to work, so I was able to make some reinforced doors for the guard post, but I'm really not sure what these other metals are good for? ...Hmm. On second thought though, that dust gives me an idea. It's clearly just the ground up remains of the crystals, and I think building myself a machine that can do that grinding for me would help make my metal reserves go a lot further. As for the leather, it's use is simple - binding books, like this one I'm keeping notes in.

Question is, what sort of power should I use for the machine? Electricity? Hand-cranked? That 'redstone' stuff I hear you can find really deep underground?

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:16:28 pm by dragnar »
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2013, 03:34:54 pm »

Make a new axe, our current one probably won't last much longer.

Dig deep for Redstone.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2013, 04:26:28 pm »

We need to get the most out of our metals, mining is labor intensive and dangerous, what if there's a cave-in?

Make the simplest grinder we can with the crystals and dust first thing so that we can get more iron for better tools.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2013, 04:58:38 pm »

We need to get the most out of our metals, mining is labor intensive and dangerous, what if there's a cave-in?
Um, rocks float in Minecraft.
Sig

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2013, 05:13:53 pm »

A, gravel doesn't, B, it's roleplaying. Right in the forum title/

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2013, 05:26:10 pm »

How common is gravel deep underground, and is it supported by neighboring tiles?
Sig

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 12:34:04 pm »

Journal Day 6:
For lack of any real decision, I decided to spend the day mining some more, after setting up a simple quartz ore grinder. It's pretty slow, and completely manual, but I don't have much else to do at night anyway. I've set up the grinder in the forge, and started using it to process some of my iron, but most of the day was spent in the quarry.
And, well, as for the quarry...
...I think I might need something to do with all this stone. Like, wow, I'm going to run short on storage space soon. I also broke into another cave at the base of the quarry, with a weird glowing rock embedded in the roof. I left it alone for now, but it must be pretty rare whatever it was.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 01:34:52 pm »

Begin work on a fortress.
Sig

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 02:26:15 pm »

+1 soooo hard.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 02:59:30 pm »

Ptw
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2013, 03:19:47 pm »

store your cobblestone in barrels.
build a lookout tower, then give us a nice view of the surroundings. what is a guard post without a lookout anyway? just a worse outpost!
also: the stripmine needs a few branching tunnels. and make it into the shape of the dreaded octagon!
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2013, 05:44:29 pm »

+1. Make it in the sky or around the edge of a mountain, preferably in an Extreme Hills biome.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2013, 06:52:05 pm »

Journal Day 7/8:
A fortress... Hmm, well it's certainly something to do. First step is to find a good place to put it, so I'll spend today (and maybe tomorrow...) hunting for a good place to put it. Step one, a tower to get a good look around from. For now though, I think this should do to explore from.
Now, what sort of sights are there around here, and where should I build?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4