Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Cube Land (Or: You are a Miner)  (Read 3261 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Cube Land (Or: You are a Miner)
« on: May 06, 2013, 03:02:28 pm »

Journal Day 0:
The blocks of soil stretch out as far as the eye can see in every direction, even from the top of a nearby tree I climbed to look around. No signs of habitation, no hint of how I got here. Memory isn't much help either, as this empty world is all I can remember. Well, that, and how to build myself some basic tools and shelter. Why do I know that? Doesn't seem like it matters too much. So, I'm all alone here, with nothing but some (surprisingly tame) pigs and sheep for company.
Spoiler: The Beginning (click to show/hide)
So. What now?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:13:43 pm by dragnar »
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Cube Land (Or: You are a Miner)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:23 pm »

NPC Mod works if you want to spawn in NPCs. It even gives you the option to spawn in some enemy NPCs as friendly.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:10:02 pm »

Build a nice little cabin to stay in while we figure things out.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 03:22:35 pm »

Gather some sticks from tree branches, you'll need to make a fire come nighttime!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:25:15 pm »

Punch a tree and turn that into sticks, and craft a small sword.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:11 pm »

Journal Day 1:
There's no obvious way out of here, no way to find some sort of civilization... So I suppose my first order of business is making some shelter. Knocking down a few trees is easy enough - though I avoid the larger ones, they're just too big for me to reach right now. Now to get to work building some shelter for the night...
A bit of elbow grease later I've got some simple shelter and a bench to work on building some simple tools with. A frustrating string of failures later I even managed to get a torch lit by rubbing a couple sticks together! I'd like some sort of bed so that I don't have to sleep on the ground, but I've only seen two sheep so far and I'm pretty sure this dagger would ruin too much of the wool to make anything more than a pillow out of.
...aaaand now I'm feeling really stupid for having spent all that time starting a fire like that. Going back for a bit more wood I practically fell head-first into a natural cave with a huge deposit of coal right there. Maybe I should do a bit of mining before the sun sets? There's another cave too, a bigger one at that, but I don't like the looks of that drop.

Spoiler: inventory (click to show/hide)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:55 pm »

Oh, sure. Let's mine a bit.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:18:48 pm »

Attempt to create some sort of digging tool.

Begin creating a (well-lit?) basement for your house, which will eventually include a shaft/staircase/something to the coal cave.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:21 pm »

Now that's just silly. Who has a mine shaft in their basement?* It'd be all noisy when someone's mining in there.**

Maybe we could use a wine cellar or cozy underground den, though.***

*Other than Minecraftians and dwarves
**Nevermind that nobody's going to be mining in there but us
***Building things in the ground tends to help stabilize temperature!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 04:41:14 pm »

Attempt to create some sort of digging tool.

Begin creating a (well-lit?) basement for your house, which will eventually include a shaft/staircase/something to the coal cave.
+1
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 04:57:47 pm »

Journal Night 1:
I made myself a pickaxe, then set out into the cave to gather some more resources - briefly considered making a tunnel from my hut to the cave, but it quickly became apparent that the building was simply too small to fit a stairwell into... not if I wanted anywhere to stand anyway. Either way though, turns out the cave was pretty tiny - just went a dozen or so yards back before ending in a rock wall. Ah well, I was still able to get myself some coal and better tools.
Time flies by here it seems. The sun was already dipping below the horizon as I made myself out of the cave, and I just barely caught a last glimpse of the vanishing sunset. Time for bed I suppose, I can try and figure out what to do in the morning... Ugh, starting to get hungry. Must be some food around here somewhere.
What the heck is that!? I got woken up by some rattling halfway through the night and peeked outside to see skeletons walking around in the darkness! They look to be armed too, though fortunately they've stayed away from the light of my makeshift torch so far... Maybe I should try and make myself some real protection, I dunno if a sharp rock on a stick is really going to cut it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 05:00:05 pm »

Don't engage the skeletons. Not now, at least. Try to get to work on that food thing. Make no sudden movements...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 05:05:26 pm »

Block up the entrances to your hovel, wait out the night, and in the morning expand it so that you can make a proper basement and tunnel.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 05:08:17 pm »

Wait till morning. Start work on wheat farm and use it to attract cows for a cow ranch.

Bonus: Try to get a bow and build a watch tower outside your home so you can kill off the stragglers who survived in the morning.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 05:38:39 pm »

Journal Day 2:
After waiting out the night in my hut, I made a fortunate discovery: The monsters (I spotted another few sorts, beyond the skeletons) burn in  sunlight! I'm not sure where they come from, and several hid in a pool of water nearby to survive, but this should mean the days are mostly safe. Now, seeing as it looks like I might be here a while, I guess it's time to expand a bit... maybe try and set up some walls to keep the monsters out. Or not, I don't really have enough wood for that yet.

Whew, that took a while. Had to work at it all day -and the hunt for some cows was completely fruitless unfortunately - but I've got a real house now! Even found a few more sheep and pigs, made myself a bed and a pork dinner. Still, that was close... I just barely got back inside before a zombie got me. It's still banging on the door out there, but I don't think it can get in.
I think I'll spend a few hours digging up that mine shaft before bed, just to make sure I can get to the cave without going outside. Getting a bit more confident now that I have somewhere to sleep, maybe I'll go exploring in the morning?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4