Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I am not seeing "skeletal [creature]s" on embark in Terrifying biomes.  (Read 945 times)

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What am I doing wrong? Why aren't they showing up?

Also, dead animals aren't reanimating. What's wrong? How do I rig it so that I can always find places where the dead don't stay buried and it rains Trioxin?

Are there Advanced Worldgen parameters I should use?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile

not all creatures that appear will be the terrifying kind, there are plenty of normal ones. Don't actually know about skeletal, but zombies just show up as random as other random animals. The solution is: patience

I don't know if it is possible to change the number of evil terrain effects. Otherwise just embark on different evil biomes and if it doesn't work the first time, try again
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

not all creatures that appear will be the terrifying kind, there are plenty of normal ones. Don't actually know about skeletal, but zombies just show up as random as other random animals. The solution is: patience

I don't know if it is possible to change the number of evil terrain effects. Otherwise just embark on different evil biomes and if it doesn't work the first time, try again

So they will show up, correct? Just not immediately?

Also, how long does it take dead creatures to reanimate?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

zombie/skeletal creatures (should?) have their own populations listed by zone/area.  You should be able to export the populations list somewhere somehow.  I think it goes along with 'export local image' or something like that, the pop-lists by zone will be in a .txt file.

Also, since the introduction of evil weather, necromancers, and the like, I'm not even sure if creatures have zombie/skeletal versions as a standard thing the way they were in 40d and DF2010.  For example, if you embark on a non-animating, evil area, that does not have necro towers as neighbors, you might not get any undead at all (minus vampires).
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you might not get any undead at all (minus vampires).

The http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Undead wiki seems to suggest that things will reanimate on their own. Is this correct? I want to fight animal parts that are moving of their own volition!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

That will happen in some embarks, but not others.  Each evil region gets a random effect, which can be evil rain, evil clouds, or reanimation.  I don't know if an embark can have more than one, but I don't think so.

If you haven't seen dead things stand up yet, it's not going to happen on that embark.  You'll have to try another.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Each evil region gets a random effect

Now we're getting somewhere!

What's a "region"? How many 'squares'? I'm asking so I know how much to move by when I get a dud.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

That will happen in some embarks, but not others.  Each evil region gets a random effect, which can be evil rain, evil clouds, or reanimation.  I don't know if an embark can have more than one, but I don't think so.
It's fully possible to have more then one. The only things that I know of that are mutually exclusive is blood rain and syndrome rain, since they both fall under the "evil rain" category. Other then that it is fully possible to have evil rain, evil clouds, and reanimation all in a single embark.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's fully possible to have more then one.

So, how do I ensure that I get all three? It's basically cheating unless you're surrounded by undead and the sky is raining poison.

Also: I might not be able to have necromancers, but I can still pretend.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:28:18 pm by Urist Foolbreaded »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely sure where the cutoffs are in the world map for these things, but I'm reasonably sure that it's whenever you have an overlapping embark and can page between the biomes.  Each one would represent a distinct region for this, I'm pretty sure.

As for ensuring that you get all three, I don't think there's any way to do that without just embarking over and over again until you find what you want.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you SURE you want the ENTIRE biome to reanimate?

Say hello to unslabable trader ghosts.  And burial isn't an option; they'll just hop out of the coffin. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile

There's two different types of effects you might be thinking of, Urist Foolbreaded.

One biome has dead trees, a sickly olive color on the map, and skeletal creatures.
The other has glumprong trees, a purple color on the map, and reanimating creatures.

There are also auto-husking effects, evil clouds, and evil rain, all with a wide range of potential ancillary badness.

However, if you want the widest range of possible evil effects as part of the biome (not rain, not clouds), increase Regional Interaction types to 1000, and generate a world with a huge number of biomes.
Personally I haven't seen a way to get one or the other 'flavor' of evil by design, but that will slant the random number generator in your favor, at least.

If you want a sample, let me know.

Urist Foolbreaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

However, if you want the widest range of possible evil effects as part of the biome (not rain, not clouds), increase Regional Interaction types to 1000, and generate a world with a huge number of biomes.
Personally I haven't seen a way to get one or the other 'flavor' of evil by design, but that will slant the random number generator in your favor, at least.

Alright. Attempting. Thank you very much. And I know my dwarves thank you too.

enizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i wanted to play on the edge of a reanimating biome, so that i could dfhack move a pile of corpses into the reanimating bit for an on-demand siege, this led to me noticing that there are in effect two types of biomes, the horror weather kind, and the zombies kind.

most of the undeath biomes i found had little or no horrible weather, or just disgusting weather, like vomit storms.
and the ones with weather like slime that caused bloodloss, resulting in constant random deaths, especially in cats.. just corpses, no zombies

i'm not sure but i think i did not see any overlap, so far it has been reanimation, OR syndrome weather, never both

and i do think full evil embarks are too much, an embark with just 10% terrifying biome is plenty of evil,
with no place to run from the evil, i just got tons of VERY short embarks due to things like husk storms on day one, before i even dug out a single room to order the dwarves into

finding the right kind of evil biome can be annoying, as you may need to do many test embarks to see what kind of evil each biome has, and THEN looking for a good spot in that biome once you find it

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Such is the life of a !!SCIENTIST!!. :P

oh_no
Pages: [1] 2