Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Candy box !  (Read 23141 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candy box !
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2013, 01:10:40 am »

Just beat Chuck Norris with 700 hp, level 7 summon sword.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2013, 01:14:00 am »

Damn, now I guess I'll have to go play through hard mode heh
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2013, 01:41:20 am »

Hell would be REALLY easy if it didn't have that control bug.

Since with the Summon sword the most difficult part are the Demons (As ghosts and Fireballs are easily delt with)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2013, 01:48:31 am »

Just beat Chuck Norris with 700 hp, level 7 summon sword.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you time it well, he can be beaten with just Invul + Tele (summon sword, a bit under 400 HP), with a Fire scroll near the very end to hasten his demise.

Hell would be REALLY easy if it didn't have that control bug.

Since with the Summon sword the most difficult part are the Demons (As ghosts and Fireballs are easily delt with)

The first part is basically Frogger, you need to skip between the free spaces between demons. What did you do with Fireballs though?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2013, 01:52:26 am »

What did you do with Fireballs though?

With the Summon sword the fireballs are easy, you can just outright combat them while spamming healing. If I had the Firesword though the key is to beat that hallway before you even get up to the fireballs (Invulnerability to Seed to another Invulnerability can get you through the demons quickly). The undead rush the ghosts are easier so go to the top or bottom even if it means you waste time, and use potions.

Meaning you have to beat down the ghosts, so you need the Imp.

If you had the heal sword I don't know... You can beat the Devil before he kills you if you invulnerable right before him.

Now everything after hell is quite a bit unfair.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:58:13 am by Neonivek »

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2013, 03:39:30 am »

On the topic of Best Sword, I have brought Math.

Spoiler: !MATH! (click to show/hide)

With the invincibility>teleport>seed method Flame Sword is definitely best, though you may need several seeds at higher levels.
Summon Sword starts out strong but eventually gets overshadowed by Flame Sword. What level it gets surpassed depends on what you're fighting.
Don't get Life Sword. Just don't.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:46:12 am by Leonon »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2013, 03:48:14 am »

The major issue with the summon sword if I had to give one is that its major use is circumvented by Imp.

Also yeah now that I tested out a healing sword... WOW is it terrible.

I know I was harsh on the summoning sword... but the healing sword makes even that seem amazing by comparison.

Fireball sword is still the best in my opinion, but at least the summoning sword isn't the healing sword.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:55:21 am by Neonivek »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2013, 03:55:13 am »

What did you do with Fireballs though?
Now everything after hell is quite a bit unfair.

Beating youself is pretty easy, if costly, and is pretty much healing potion spam. Chuck Norris can be beaten via tree and ranged spam or tele+inv as you mentioned. Developer's Garden is easy if you don't take risks with invul's time and have enough Teleports. Moat has no enemies to speak of, so it's mostly a puzzle. Developer's Computer is the end boss, it is not supposed to be easy.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2013, 04:00:47 am »

Beating youself is pretty easy, if costly

Yeah but as I always review, if you couldn't do it without a guide then it is a fault. (I don't care how the internet reviews its games. My reviews are based on being guideless)

It just pops out of nowhere. After yourself the next two levels are fair (Sorta, due to how it is set up it is slightly unfair), then another unfair level (admittingly not as bad as Yourself)

It is mostly set up as a "You will EVENTUALLY unlock it" but that can be hours or even days if hell took you excessively long (which anyone who took a healing sword probably does)

Best of all due to the way how the game works, it is easy to actually succeed on the boss but lose anyway.

Developer's Computer is the end boss, it is not supposed to be easy

I have had less trouble on him then on hell and can even grind him. Knowing how to beat him however... is another story.

---

Oddly I am using my Point and Click Standards on this game. For Candy Box I may let that slide since it seems less like, for example FTL, a game where its poor design choices are meant to be ignored because of the availability of guides... but rather that Candy Box is meant to be played with a guide or a collection of friends.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 04:21:57 am by Neonivek »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2013, 06:59:22 am »

I don't get what the hell everyone's problem with yourself was. Just visit the damn witch.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2013, 07:02:09 am »

I don't get what the hell everyone's problem with yourself was. Just visit the damn witch.

The problem is, you have to figure out you are supposed to visit the witch with nothing else hinting at it. It's a Solve the Soup Cans kind of logic - if you figure it out, it's probably just your good luck that you happened to visit her for some other reason.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2013, 08:01:44 am »

The problem is, you have to figure out you are supposed to visit the witch with nothing else hinting at it. It's a Solve the Soup Cans kind of logic - if you figure it out, it's probably just your good luck that you happened to visit her for some other reason.
Which you do all the time (several times a day, anyway) to upgrade your sword, so I'm not sure what your complaint here is. It's not like you needed to visit the frog.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2013, 08:04:54 am »

Which you do all the time (several times a day, anyway) to upgrade your sword, so I'm not sure what your complaint here is. It's not like you needed to visit the frog.

Well, perhaps you play like that. When the cost went up to over 1 million lollipops, which was some time before I beat Hell, I haven't been visiting her at all, and only beat myself thanks to this thread.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2013, 08:15:16 am »

I kept upgrading my sword even when it costed 10 million.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2013, 08:36:47 am »

I kept upgrading my sword even when it costed 10 million.
+1. And candy gain, you have to upgrade the candy gain, since the game isn't called Lollipop Box, or even HP box. ;D
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10