Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building underwater (questions)  (Read 4744 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Building underwater (questions)
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 04:16:47 pm »

Also if you dropped a dome the thing would flatten on impact with the bottom. Each natural tile disconnects while falling and then re-attaches when it re-stabilizes, so anything hollow that is dropped will not longer be hollow when it lands.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 04:42:34 pm »

Also if you dropped a dome the thing would flatten on impact with the bottom. Each natural tile disconnects while falling and then re-attaches when it re-stabilizes, so anything hollow that is dropped will not longer be hollow when it lands.
But a half-sphere should work, I think.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 05:03:48 pm »

Probably the easiest way is to find a map with no aquifer and only a small amount of ocean. Then, dig out a huge hole in dry land that is only separated from the ocean by a single line of tiles. Build your glass fortress in the hole. Then, channel out the last row of tiles holding back the ocean, and watch the water come cascading in to cover your fortress. Congratulations, you've expanded the ocean itself!

This method is nice because your constructed ocean can be arbitrarily deep, giving you room for a very tall glass fortress.

There will be a shallow strip of ramps where your old retaining wall was, but that may or may not be an aesthetic problem depending on your tastes. I suspect that ocean creatures can swim over the submerged ramps, but am not 100% sure.

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 05:25:53 pm »

i know a neat way to dam a 1 Z level deep ocean:

1-build floors over ocean where you want to dam it
2-build screw pumps on floors with, you need to have a massive number of peasants and pump operating on everyone
3-pump out water and build raising bridges on the ocean floor such that they form a wall, link all bridges to levers.

next:
1-pump out certain parts of the ocean floor and dig channels down to the aquifier layer, using retracting bridges to seal the drains and link the bridges to levers. Dont forget grates 1 level lower
2-deconstruct screw pumps and floors and clean up
3-wait for ocean to fill with mermen (aka sea-elves)
4-wall off ocean by raising the bridges and open retracting bridge drains
5-collect fish and sea-elf corpses for fishing industry/corpse grinders respectively.

dwarf-bonus: do this in a evil ocean.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:27:33 pm by Catsup »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 05:30:25 pm »

So you'd have to shape the bottom of the thing you drop to fit the landing zone to avoid distortions.

Or the top.  Or both...

Intention

###
 #######
#########

Sea-bottom

\_
##\__    _
#####\__/#
##########

Either     or        or

###          #    ########
 #######      #####   #######
#########    #######   ######
  #######   ########    ####
     ####  #########      # 

Becomes
   ###
 #######
#########
#########
##########
##########

As for clearing the water out, I've heard good things about a ring-platform of (sea-level) floors supporting an array of pumps (perhaps massively wind-powered?).  This can (or could, if it's changed) apparently move significant water out of the centre.  Making the ring large enough that a second ring can be safely built within this that pumps water at Z-2 out from its centre, and continuing until you have the desired sea-bed worksite dry (or using a temporary building and re-building to allow you to place 'dam-walls' around the site you want).

I'm a bit hazy about the precise details of the construction process, as I've never tried it myself, but if you start with scaling up the following setup...

~~~~~~~~~~
~++%%%%++~
~++%%%%++~
~%%????%%~
~%%????%%~
~%%????%%~
~%%????%%~
~++%%%%++~
~++%%%%++~
~~~~~~~~~~

...with a larger centre (if you want to start off ambitious...), then maybe you can figure out the rest... ;)

Ahhh... Catsup has just (better) detailed this method...  Darn ninja. ;)

@Raphite1: When channelling out, ramps will disappear when all next-door 'solid' tiles are afterwards changed to ramps.  If chanelling (or ramping from below, being safer) a 2D block this leaves the odd bit of ramp as an isolated solid block is 'rampified' with no other solid bits adjacent to later be dug out, but if you have a line left, channelling the centre tile (or centre two tiles) and then retreating outwards (or starting at one end and 'retreating' across it) should leave flat floors except for at either end.
Pages: 1 [2]