Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf cage  (Read 1540 times)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
Dwarf cage
« on: May 04, 2013, 08:15:11 pm »

Appearantly you can catch dwarves by making them fall on a cage trap by cave in.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf cage
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:24:06 pm »

Or by knocking them unconscious or webbing them. In fact, anything unconscious or webbed can be caught in a cage trap.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:20:24 am »

Yup...anything that can be stunned can be caught.

Unfortunatly the [NOSTUN] tag exists on several of the things that are naturally trap proof.  Most notably the clowns.
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 04:45:55 am »

Except that webs and cave-in dust circumvent nostun.

Also, regarding dwarf cages. They can't be pitted. As I found out when trying to pit a zombie dwarf. I ended up creating a very, very elaborate mechanism to destroy them, because I wanted to save the cages.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:38:49 am »

So, any tips for releasing this fellow?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:55:34 am »

A friendly dwarf in a cage?  Build the cage then undo the assignment, probably.  If that doesn't work, building the cage, linking to a lever and then pulling the lever will surely work.  (This latter also works for less-friendly dwarves/etc, of course, if you have a potential tantrum/loyalty-spiral problem with them and need to do this behind closed doors/walls/etc.)

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 07:26:21 am »

Ah thanks. I ended up building the cage, linking to a lever and pulling it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 07:40:17 am »

Try caging a husk and using it to end a siege. :P
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 10:11:06 am »

There is a much easier way to trap dwarfs. Just lock them in a room full of cage traps, then wait until they sleep on the floor and done.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:41:37 pm »

Regarding caged dwarves. It really bugs me that you can't pit hostile dwarves a la goblin prisoners. Especially zombies. Bug or feature?

I've also had to redesign my DEATH PIT design, because sadly, causing a cave-in of constructed floors will disassemble bridges, even if they're retracted and/or raised. Gheeeeeeeey D:

I'm going to turn it into a Dodge-me trap with catapults instead. Narrow 1-tile wide chute, zombie gets 1 tile to stand on, surrounded on two sides by walls and hovering above a pit of death. Set up a catapult to fire a rock at him--if it misses, or if it just hits him and doesn't knock him off, it'll fall onto the retracting bridge I have set up, and a dwarf can retrieve the ammo and reuse it. If it knocks him off or he dodges and falls, he'll land on the bridge, which retracts and dumps him into a chamber where he gets atom-smashed. Cage is then retrieved and a new zombie is added to the pedestal.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:49 pm »

Can you trade the dwarves away? This could be useful in getting ride of useless migrants who have too many friends. Like, deporting them or something.

sealclubber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 09:59:00 pm »

One time I had like 10~ or so derfs stuck in cages after ordering them to attack a caravan. Because I could.

After I ordered the cages to be 'built' they ended up dying when placed. I don't have any idea what happened.

Zanthra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 09:53:10 am »

I was thinking at one point, fighting powerfull trap immune creatures in a hallway filled with cage traps would be good, as if they get knocked out the get stasisified by the cage traps.  Would this work to save dwarves?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:20:47 pm »

After I ordered the cages to be 'built' they ended up dying when placed. I don't have any idea what happened.
Immediately on placement, you mean?  Not sure.  But dwarves will starve in built cages.  Are unbuilt cages capable of starving dwarves but not to death, that happening as soon as they are built?

...if they get knocked out the get stasisified by the cage traps.  Would this work to save dwarves?
Possibly, but with only one cage trap allowed per tile you might find them being knocked out and the attack continuing because they fell on an already triggered trap-square.  (Though if they phase in and out with the enemy distracted they might crawl a bit and get further chances of being trapped.)

If bleeding out mortally, or semi-mortally, they may still die, of course, while you cannot yet get around to retrieving the trap, building it somewhere near the hospital and releasing them so they can get there in time (under their own power or through assistance).  And if sealclubber's deal is more serious than I first considered then it may speed their demise.

Science.  That's what you need!
Pages: [1] 2