Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Miner, Ambusher, Woodcutter bug workarounds?  (Read 683 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Miner, Ambusher, Woodcutter bug workarounds?
« on: May 04, 2013, 06:45:46 pm »

I posted this on reddit, felt it was worthy of a discussion

Using dwarf therapist I unassign those labors just b4 combat...

what about creating more axing type weapons. They seem to drop their weapon when they become militia... could I somehow force them to use a certain hand axe for chopping trees, but when it comes to combat they have to use a great axe? (mw mod items btw). Could I somehow force the items in a certain room that only militia dwarf's have access to? Or somehow assign it to an weapon rack?

So what have you?  Any way to work around this?  I know if I unassign their labors during combat, they'll pick up the right stuff, but what about training?  Are they doomed to never train?

I understand if I set up a training schedule where only a few are training at a time, then some will do their jobs... is there a way to somehow use this to micromanage (possibly by using DT inbetween seasons to check active squads and unassign labors) to ensure I can still use them efficiently?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Miner, Ambusher, Woodcutter bug workarounds?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 08:03:52 am »

A clever man solves a problem, a wise man avoids it entirely.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:50:11 pm by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

AlwayzL3git

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoot 'em up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:34:42 am »

I clever man solves a problem, a wise man avoids it entirely.
^^^
This indeed. Just don't put your woodcutter in the military. Trust me, if you are already intent on making a military, I am sure you are prepared to choose somebody else.
Unless you embarked in a haunted area.
Well, then either way you are screwed.

Good Luck!--
AlwayzL3git
The only difference between a human student and a dwarf is that dwarfs have the ability to create and destroy matter.
So will the dwarf with the broken spine recover and use a crutch?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:54:33 am »

Woodcutters, miners and hunters can train, but they'll always exchange their entire uniform whenever they switch duties - if they've been training and want to cut down a tree, they'll first take off their armour, put on their civilian clothes and grab their 'civilian' axe. If they want to return to training, they have to do the whole thing in reverse. They'll also drop/claim their waterskin and backpack, because that's only part of the military, not the job uniform.

So yes, thirded. Don't put them in the military, that just prevents them from being decent at either function.