Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62

Author Topic: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game  (Read 106160 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Competition- An evolutionary suggestion game
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:05 am »

I think we need to develop some god damned eyes!
No we don't. Eyes are pretty useless in murky water, and rather hard to develop anyway.
We need eyes eventually though.
No we don't. Plenty of blind species in the world.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2013, 02:52:57 am »

No we don't. Eyes are pretty useless in murky water, and rather hard to develop anyway.
No we don't. Plenty of blind species in the world.

And they are far from being dominant. If we ever progress to land, we need eyes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2013, 02:57:06 am »

Depends on how you calculate dominant. Plenty of biotopes and niches in which "good" eyes are not important. We're in one of those.

Also, why would we ever progress to land. We haven't got a skeleton, breathing system, structural support, digestion system, and our natural weaponry and movements systems are useless there.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2013, 02:58:35 am »

Depends on how you calculate dominant. Plenty of biotopes and niches in which "good" eyes are not important. We're in one of those.

Also, why would we ever progress to land. We haven't got a skeleton, breathing system, structural support, digestion system, and our natural weaponry and movements systems are useless there.

we may want to progress to land later on, or we may more to a different biome.

I'm not saying replace what we have with eyes, just add eyes on top, even if they aren't much use at the moment.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2013, 03:03:01 am »

we may want to progress to land later on, or we may more to a different biome.

I'm not saying replace what we have with eyes, just add eyes on top, even if they aren't much use at the moment.
Eh, right now we don't really need them.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2013, 04:26:43 am »

no, no need for eyes. +1 to brain.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2013, 04:33:05 am »

+1 to brain and body structure. Maybe cartilage because it's light and we're doing pretty nicely without bones anyway.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

arbiter787

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING] noobishness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2013, 04:36:41 am »

+1 to brain and body structure. Maybe cartilage because it's light and we're doing pretty nicely without bones anyway.
Yes, +1 to brain and some sort of structure, preferably cartilage.

((Hope you guys don't mind if I drop in every now and then :P))
Most people say "I hate losing". I say "Hells yes I lost to a zombie unicorn rampage!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2013, 04:54:54 am »

(mispost)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2013, 06:29:16 am »

Why?
Eyes are only "dominant" because those clades that are unusually good at adapting happened to have eyes as an ancestral characteristic. If the ancestral chordates had electricity-sensitive rather than light-sensitive cells, we would be arguing over electric sense vs. that crazy light-sense. Also, as noted, many creatures lost their eyes, so clearly they aren't all that important...especially if we have a variety of other senses that can be used in their stead.
And look at our creature. Its closest parallels are cephalopods and cnidarians, two clades which have not ever had a terrestrial member. What makes you think we're going on land any time soon?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2013, 09:42:08 am »

Why?
Eyes are only "dominant" because those clades that are unusually good at adapting happened to have eyes as an ancestral characteristic. If the ancestral chordates had electricity-sensitive rather than light-sensitive cells, we would be arguing over electric sense vs. that crazy light-sense. Also, as noted, many creatures lost their eyes, so clearly they aren't all that important...especially if we have a variety of other senses that can be used in their stead.
And look at our creature. Its closest parallels are cephalopods and cnidarians, two clades which have not ever had a terrestrial member. What makes you think we're going on land any time soon?
Because if we want to be able to make nukes, we'll need fire to smelt the materials. And I'd say we're more fish with tentacle faces and deathcloud-makers in their gills. And pocket guts. And fangs. And a radula.
Okay we have many features from octoPODES but we look like a pretty fishy.
And that spearface guy might make nukes before us if we don't get onto land eventually.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2013, 11:54:23 am »

Did I miss a key post?  I saw a lot of support for modifying the neurotoxin delivery system to to enable squirting the stuff out into a cloud of inky nastiness, but no actual confirmation that we got it nor how well it worked.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2013, 12:01:30 pm »

That's still yet to be updated. Having a ALL-THE-VIDEO-GAMES day today, so the update might be tomorrow.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2013, 05:40:33 pm »

Why?
Because if we want to be able to make nukes, we'll need fire to smelt the materials. And I'd say we're more fish with tentacle faces and deathcloud-makers in their gills. And pocket guts. And fangs. And a radula.
And that spearface guy might make nukes before us if we don't get onto land eventually.
1. What makes you think that we want nukes?
2. What makes you think that Bay12 can't come up with a way for aquatic animals to create a nuclear-age civilization?
3. Since this is an evolutionary suggestion game, what makes you sure we'd be able to control our civilization?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

arbiter787

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING] noobishness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2013, 11:35:55 pm »

Why?
1. What makes you think that we want nukes?
2. What makes you think that Bay12 can't come up with a way for aquatic animals to create a nuclear-age civilization?
3. Since this is an evolutionary suggestion game, what makes you sure we'd be able to control our civilization?
I think nukes and stuff would be cool, but I agree with GreatWyrm. We can develop that stuff underwater somehow, and it would be cool to be blind, relying on electro-sense and smell the whole time.
Most people say "I hate losing". I say "Hells yes I lost to a zombie unicorn rampage!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62