Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Owned Cat has become Stray Cat!  (Read 417 times)

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Owned Cat has become Stray Cat!
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:14:22 am »

Okay, I know there is a search function, but I really do no feel like using it since it is such a hassle to get specific answers. Okay Bay 12. Now as the title suggests, upon the death of a person, the cats that crazy cat lady or man slowly becomes stray.
Is this an unintentional feature, a intended delay, something that has not been discovered yet, the fact that I live under a rock, or all of the above? Because at first I wondered If I should suddenly butcher them before they get to adopt another dwarf, or it's just that they have finally matured to a cat. Thanks in advance for clarification.

P.S. Interestingly, butchering such strayed cats just after straying from deceased owner will result in a named skull, as if a kitten has just matured into a cat! Interesting, Interesting, never have I seen this in the wiki.

P.S.S. Somewhat false alarm, one cat has managed to produce 6 meats and the whole nine yards. Weird. The first few cats that strayed still produced only skulls upon butchering.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:24:36 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Owned Cat has become Stray Cat!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:06:53 am »

It has nothing to do with the cat's age.

A stray cat that adopts a dwarf becomes a named pet. If dwarf owner dies, I think the cat becomes available again to adopt a new owner, not sure if it loses the name and gets renamed again when the cat adopts a new owner, based on what you're reporting the cat seems to become stray but keeps the name hence the named skulls when butchering them.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:35:15 am »

I have plenty of animals in my fort that are "available" but also named.  Animals definitely retain the name when they become stray again.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:36:35 pm »

They're not "slowly" becoming stray. All of the dead dwarf's cats, both kittens and adults, immediately became stray upon the dwarf's death. When you get the message "X has grown to become a stray cat," that was just an already-stray kitten growing into an adult.

Juvenile animals always produce fewer butchering remains than fully-grown adults, because they're smaller.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 03:35:40 pm »

Cats, though, are small enough that, unless you get lucky with body size variances, they'll typically only drop skulls.

Which isn't to say they're not worth slaughtering, because they definitely are.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:42:28 pm »

I'm still a tad bit befuzzled about my situation concerning the cat's ages. Eh out of sight out of mind. Fully matured cat or not, all their skulls shall be crafted one day into totems.
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 04:35:14 am »

it could be due to age. The age they become 'mature' animals is not the age they stop growing, so an animal that just grew up still isn't very big. It could also be that you have a 'very weak, extremely thin' cat instead of 'heavily muscled with untold layers of fat'. It really makes a difference
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.