Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does the internet work?  (Read 1090 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
How does the internet work?
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:06:56 am »

A seemingly dumb question, sure, but I ask it regardless. A few days ago, it was my understanding that the internet worked like this: Websites and their contents are stored on servers, and accessed by users (like me) through a request sent through my ISP. My request would arrive, and the server would show what I asked for (most of the time, anyway). After watching A recent Ted Talk, that explanation seems... incomplete somehow.
In the video it's mentioned how one creative ISP decided to block Youtube by claiming to be Youtube, then just not doing anything with the incoming requests. What gets me is that their shenanigans somehow rippled out of their country and effectively took down Youtube for millions upon millions of people. I don't quite understand how that could work, and it doesn't really fit my previous assumption very well. Help me out here?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does the internet work?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:18:59 am »

This guy explains it pretty well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f99PcP0aFNE

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:20:55 am »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 12:29:44 am »

Damn it, knew what that would be before I opened it. >.>

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 12:30:52 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:22:19 pm by Ogdibus »

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:25:13 am »

A seemingly dumb question, sure, but I ask it regardless. A few days ago, it was my understanding that the internet worked like this: Websites and their contents are stored on servers, and accessed by users (like me) through a request sent through my ISP. My request would arrive, and the server would show what I asked for (most of the time, anyway). After watching A recent Ted Talk, that explanation seems... incomplete somehow.
In the video it's mentioned how one creative ISP decided to block Youtube by claiming to be Youtube, then just not doing anything with the incoming requests. What gets me is that their shenanigans somehow rippled out of their country and effectively took down Youtube for millions upon millions of people. I don't quite understand how that could work, and it doesn't really fit my previous assumption very well. Help me out here?
That case probably involes DNS (Domain Name System)  Basically, when you put in "youtube.com", there has to be a way for computers to find out where exactly the servers for "youtube.com" are.  Basically, they do that by sending "youtube.com" off to a DNS server, which returns an IP address for the servers hosting that site (173.194.33.6).  Basically, like looking someone up in a phone book, you send a name, it sends back a number.

This is useful, not just because names are easier to remember, but because it means a site can change servers, host their site from a different location, a different provider, set up mirror servers so someone can access a server that's closer to them, etc., while still allowing people to find their site.  The IP address might change with each of those things, but the name can remain the same, because they tell the DNS servers where the new location is, the new IP address.  So people can just keep on using the same name to find the site, without even needing to be aware that there was a change to the number.

There are a whole bunch of DNS servers spread out around all over the place.  So when the IP address for a site is updated at a DNS server, that information is then sent around to other DNS servers, in order to keep them up to date, to make sure they all have the same information, that they're all working with a consistent phone book.

Basically, in that instance they tried blocking youtube by editing the DNS entry.  i.e. They went into the phonebook and changed the number, so that when people who were using that DNS server tried to go to youtube, it returned a address that pointed to their own servers, or the middle of nowhere, or something, rather than the actual youtube servers.  This ended up rippling out, because their DNS ended up broadcasting this information to other DNS servers as an update to where that site was located, and so other DNS servers, being a bit overly trustworthy, updated their own records to match.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:18:21 am »

The internet is a lot more complex that a first glance will tell you, and at the same time it is quite beautiful in it's simplicity. If you are really interested in learning I do recommend this book Computer Networking: A Top-Down approach.

Just getting a webpage is a glorious affair of protocols and stack levels working together. ARP requests, DNS requests, maybe several different intra-AS protocols. Beautiful.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:21:11 am by Aptus »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:25:36 pm »

I literally just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoq27LBuidk

It was quite informative.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:15 pm »

Didn't click any links, I assume one of them involves mentioning a series of tubes.

Also, in the event of DNS servers being taken down in some sort of World War scenario, it could be useful to keep a short list of Ip addresses to sites that would be useful sources of information in such situations.

Process to obtain IP address of a website and a route of the DNS process while it is operational:

Enter CMD. Type:

tracert www.google.com

www.google.com = example

The last Ip destination is the one you are looking for.

I just tracert'd yahoo, took the ip it spit out at the end, and put that in a browser which led me to a failsafe page which redirected me to yahoo.com.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:59:07 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit