Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Best war animals  (Read 9951 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best war animals
« on: May 02, 2013, 04:44:31 pm »

What are the best war animals. Note- i modded so all are war-trainable.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best war animals
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:56:58 pm »

dragon

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:06:47 pm »

Dragon beats bronze colossus, BC beats hydra, and hydra beats dragon. The main problem with a dragon is friendly fire (heh), and the main problem with a hydra is that it tends to bleed out in melee. If you're planning to deploy the beasts alongside regular soldiers, go for GCS or bronze colossus; if you're planning to deploy them alone, go for dragon. The GCS would probably be even more deadly than the megabeasts proper if not for its inability to finish off helpless, helmet-wearing opponents (it keeps trying to bite them in the head).

If you have somehow managed to make undead tameable, however, definitely tame a Giant Blue Whale Husk. And then tell me how.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Centigrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »

Wait, if literally everything is tamable then tame an undead giant sponge.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 06:25:14 pm »

Those have a significant flaw in that they can only ram adjacent beings. They might kill one or two goblins in a siege, but the rest of the greenskins could just run by them.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:29:54 pm »

For more easily obtainable creatures, I recommed the polar bear.

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 06:38:07 pm »

Oh, yeah. If you're worried about practicality and not waiting for a megabeast, embark in a high-savagery area and get things like giant jaguars, giant desert scorpions, rutherers, bears... or do what I do and make a Puppy Bomb with bajillions of Crundles.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 07:34:02 pm »

GCS isn't technically a war animal, but a tame one attacks hostiles so i'm calling it one.

by far one of the best war animals. it's more common than dragons and giant jaguars and the like (frequency 20 instead of 5), and it's capable of completely immobilizing an entire goblin squad. my only problem is that it can't breed, which is a big downer.

other than that i'd probably say the jabberer. extremely deadly due to size, not gazing, trainable, extremely fast mature rate (1 year) also good for meat industry with x4 value and huge amount of edible drops.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

jimboo

• Bay Watcher
  • Bastart
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 07:39:52 pm »

other than that i'd probably say the jabberer. extremely deadly due to size, not gazing, trainable, extremely fast mature rate (1 year) also good for meat industry with x4 value and huge amount of edible drops.

Yeah.  But for things that are reasonably obtainable without mods, grizzly bears.  War-trained, they're pretty bad ass. 
Good walls make for good neighbors. -- Urist Frost
Avatar photo credit: NomeDaBoy@Worth1000.com, reposted from BoingBoing.net (great site)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 07:42:18 pm »

Yeah.  But for things that are reasonably obtainable without mods, grizzly bears.  War-trained, they're pretty bad ass.
I prefer polar bears personally, but those are good too.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 09:56:51 pm »

If you have [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] on dwarves, I highly recommend cave crocodiles. They're not that expensive compared to other animals, live a relatively long time, are large enough to do a lot of damage, and a group of five (four females and one male) can easily become two hundred after one batch of eggs from each female. So they're also a great food source on top of everything else.

The only downside is that they're size 70 at birth, but even that isn't a big deal since they only take two years to hit ten times the size of a dwarf.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 05:12:27 am »

Jabberers for their latching primary attack and near-elephant size.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 09:35:45 am »

Jabberers.  They're not unreasonable to obtain either if you put a bit of effort into setting up cavern bait and cavern traps.

Giant felines, rutherers, and even war wolves are good.  Giant eagles are hard to come by.  But I would give them all up if I could breed some Giant Cave Spiders.  Webbing is extremely potent if used right.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 09:51:21 am »

Jabberers.  They're not unreasonable to obtain either if you put a bit of effort into setting up cavern bait and cavern traps.

Giant felines, rutherers, and even war wolves are good.  Giant eagles are hard to come by.  But I would give them all up if I could breed some Giant Cave Spiders.  Webbing is extremely potent if used right.

You can get them to breed with some modding, you don't even need to generate a new world for that. Just look them up in data/save/region(number you are playing with)/raws, and add [CHILD:1] to their entry. Many underground animals lack this currently.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 05:16:15 pm »

i wish i could breed my GCSs. i have three so far, all of them male for some reason.

failing that i made them trainable and biologically immortal.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4