Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should I put seats in my great hall?  (Read 901 times)

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should I put seats in my great hall?
« on: May 02, 2013, 02:55:01 pm »

I'm planning on having both a great hall and a dining room.  Obviously the dining room will have seats, but should the great hall have them too or should dwarves just walk around it?  I'm thinking seats might be a good idea to avoid negative thoughts about complaining about the lack of chairs.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Should I put seats in my great hall?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 03:11:13 pm »

Depends what you mean by "great hall". If you're going to designate it as a dining room it'll need chairs to avoid lack of chairs thoughts in the people that try to eat there. If you're not then you don't need chairs and it's completely up to you.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 03:12:39 pm »

I consider my "great hall" to be the marble-floored atrium that gets splattered with the blood of invaders...

jez9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 03:54:45 pm »

Depends what you mean by "great hall". If you're going to designate it as a dining room it'll need chairs to avoid lack of chairs thoughts in the people that try to eat there. If you're not then you don't need chairs and it's completely up to you.
What about the negative "lack of chairs" thoughts though?  If the dwarves are standing for a while in the great hall might they get those thoughts?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 04:03:01 pm »

If it is a "meeting hall" and not a "dinning room" then they will not complain about a lack of chairs.  When designating a dinning hall you have the option of also making it a meeting room, further confusing the matter. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 06:31:56 pm »

Chairs are not used by dwarves except when eating. If you have a dining hall designated as well as a "great hall," dwarves will prefer first to eat in their own dining room, then their office, then the common dining room, although distance traveled will play a part.

As far as I know, dwarves don't sit on chairs when bored.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 08:38:39 pm »

Solon is correct. The only purposes of chairs in DF are to sit on while eating and to designated offices. That's it.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 08:48:19 pm »

Perhaps try a multi-story great hall; the open space meeting area on one Z-level, with chairs ringing it one or two Z-levels above it with ramps leading between the areas where dwarves are supposed to mingle.